Why'd Latin die out when it was such a widespread language?

Why'd Latin die out when it was such a widespread language?

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Westgermanic_English_tree.svg
pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html
ideasillustrated.com/blog/2012/04/01/visualizing-english-word-origins/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabino_dialect
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Chinese_language
youtube.com/watch?v=__vHa_JZ_iM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it evolved
the same reason no one speaks middle english anymore

because it was a language so it changed into the romance languages

Not all languages evolve. The Chinese can still read Confucius from the BCs

It didn't die out, it evolved over several centuries of political and increasing cultural division. While the educated might have had access to books and manuscripts in classical latin, by the fall of the empire there was already a gap between street latin and high latin which just increased over the centuries

That's because they use a writing system that isn't based on pronunciation. If they heard him speak it would sound different from modern mandarin

The Roman Empire broke up and so did the languages its that simple

This

The Italian peninsula was always consisted of various ethnicities who spoke their own languages. The Latins just imposed their culture and language on everyone and when the Roman Empire collapsed the peninsula returned to it's natural state.

Can't say there isn't a resemblance.

Completed your pic
English is a Latin language, time to accept it

>proto-italian
Don't you mean italo-dalmatian, then tuscan, then italian?
Proto-italian doesn't actually mean shit.

0/10

Its west germanic you poor troll

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Westgermanic_English_tree.svg

It stopped being a vernacular in the middle ages. Languages tend to die out after that. For a modern comparison look at the situation of French and maybe other colonial languages in Africa.

>it evolved
''Devolved'' is the term you're looking for in this case.

I heard that French is basically Latin with a gaullish pronounciation, can anybody with some linguistic knowledge tell me if its true or not?

Wow I never knew the ancient Danes were a Latin group. You learn something new every day.

It literally just means before italian. The things you listed are proto-italian.

pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html

6. Then there's classical Chinese (wenyanwen).
Forget it. Way too difficult. If you think that after three or four years of study you'll be breezing through Confucius and Mencius in the way third-year French students at a comparable level are reading Diderot and Voltaire, you're sadly mistaken. There are some westerners who can comfortably read classical Chinese, but most of them have a lot of gray hair or at least tenure.
Unfortunately, classical Chinese pops up everywhere, especially in Chinese paintings and character scrolls, and most people will assume anyone literate in Chinese can read it. It's truly embarrassing to be out at a Chinese restaurant, and someone asks you to translate some characters on a wall hanging.
"Hey, you speak Chinese. What does this scroll say?" You look up and see that the characters are written in wenyan, and in incomprehensible "grass-style" calligraphy to boot. It might as well be an EKG readout of a dying heart patient.
"Uh, I can make out one or two of the characters, but I couldn't tell you what it says," you stammer. "I think it's about a phoenix or something."

"Oh, I thought you knew Chinese," says your friend, returning to their menu. Never mind that an honest-to-goodness Chinese person would also just scratch their head and shrug; the face that is lost is yours.
Whereas modern Mandarin is merely perversely hard, classical Chinese is deliberately impossible. Here's a secret that sinologists won't tell you: A passage in classical Chinese can be understood only if you already know what the passage says in the first place. This is because classical Chinese really consists of several centuries of esoteric anecdotes and in-jokes written in a kind of terse, miserly code for dissemination among a small, elite group of intellectually-inbred bookworms who already knew the whole literature backwards and forwards, anyway. An uninitiated westerner can no more be expected to understand such writing than Confucius himself, if transported to the present, could understand the entries in the "personal" section of the classified ads that say things like: "Hndsm. SWGM, 24, 160, sks BGM or WGM for gentle S&M, mod. bndg., some lthr., twosm or threesm ok, have own equip., wheels, 988-8752 lv. mssg. on ans. mach., no weirdos please."
In fairness, it should be said that classical Chinese gets easier the more you attempt it. But then so does hitting a hole in one, or swimming the English channel in a straitjacket.

Are you retarded?
Do you see the Germanic part devolving from Latin on the pic?
They're two separate categories that only merge with English

Needs an even more smug Pepe with a Sardinian flag next to it by the way.

In other words they were memers too.

Doesn't make English a Latin language.

Its huge Romance vocabulary begs to differ

That same page calls it a Western Germanic language. Try again.

>including modern scientific and technical Latin

How about terms for spells like "Hocus Pocus" and shit?

>One such study was done by Italian-American linguist Mario Pei in 1949, which analyzed the differentiation degree of languages in comparison to their inheritance language (in the case of Romance languages to Latin comparing phonology, inflection, discourse, syntax, vocabulary, and intonation) revealed the following percentages (the higher the percentage, the greater the distance from Latin):[81]

Sardinian: 8%;
Italian: 12%;
Spanish: 20%;
Romanian: 23.5%;
Occitan: 25%;
Portuguese: 31%;
French: 44%.

>italian american
trying to discredit french obviously

but in practice like 90% of english words are germanic

ideasillustrated.com/blog/2012/04/01/visualizing-english-word-origins/

No devolving, it happened naturally. It wasn't like with English were Normans came and destroyed their language with a foreign language.

Lmao, do you really think French looks or sounds anything like Classical/Vulgar Latin? Sardinian is the only language who preserved the root word for "house", being "domus" for example.

Also, another interesting language from Italy: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabino_dialect

>Many authors consider Sabino as an independent group of Italian language distinguished from Central Italian. It is the only dialect which keeps the two affixes -o and -u of Late Latin, so there are words like cabaju 'horse', from Latin caballus, and scrio 'I write', from Latin scribo.

That makes sense since French is pretty German influenced.

What would the likes of Cicero and Virgil think of modern-day Romance languages?

People say the similar breakup of spanish is inevitable and already occurring

I think all around the world as thing get more globalized people will actually, contrary to what you might think at first, maintain their regional dialects and even widen the gap between them. Everyone will use a lingua franca and there will be a small community's language for local use.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Chinese_language

Holy shit people languages change over time it is inevitable. Only dead languages remain static.

Dislike them, that is the whole charade, it doesn't compare to Latin.
(Classical) Latin should return and become the norm in Europe.

There is no such thing as German influence, the Franks were a Pannoninan tribes and were therfore Celts.

There is no Germanic influence in French.

The Frank language and Gaul language were proto-Germanic

Misleading statement
Most used words in English are useless shit like "the", "a", "at"...etc
If you look only at verbs, nouns and adjective (words that give the sense to a sentence), it's easily 50/50 between Germanic and French words

Fact is you can't make post on this board without using French words unless trying very hard

Why don't you start speaking Old English instead of fantasizing the language Europeans speak?

Because the current english is fine, latin was great, it was all that was needed, it started to become worse at the vulgar phase, when it eventually developed into the romance languages.

wow

thanks chink user

This needs French Creole, Generic Latino, and BRazillian at the end.

>current english is fine

The idea that the origin of a language's lexical items is what determines its typology is ridiculous and reflects a deep ignorance about language. The lexicon is the most superficial aspect of any language. There is much more to it than that, but you probably are under the impression that a language is "a body of words" or something like that. That just doesn't make sense if you're in any way being serious.

French>Latin
Prove me wrong

I do not get this picture.

Someone redpill me on the inherent value of the pepes

Yes, it's going down the drain, but, old english was nothing too special, whereas all I'm propsing is that latin was better, and I would be completely okay with all of Europe speaking (Classical) latin.

Italian can sound cool and is more varied than Latin though. I mean do Romans even have names/surnames as cool as:

>Farnese
>Serpico
>Barbarossa
>Sforza
>Garibaldi

Everything fucking ends in "us".

I don't think Latin "died out" in its pure form it just evolved into all these other languages

What major language from 0 AD has survived in its pure form to today?

its by % of bastardization.

People will say things like "Greek" or "Chinese" but that just demonstrates that they are ignorant.

Hebrew, Farsi, Chinese, Finnish, Tamil

Finnish?

ignorant

wtf? Hebrew was literally revived dude...
and old Chinese sounded different.
youtube.com/watch?v=__vHa_JZ_iM

The other ones I don't know.

But someone that speaks Greek could make out a lot of homeric Greek. Just because its not exactly the same doesn't mean it isn't an ancient language still in use.

Why the degrees of amusement over the Iberian languages though?

That's an interesting article. I wonder if Chinese civilization would have advanced more rapidly had they improved their writing system.

Lel

Same reason why French, German, Swedish, Danish English and every other western language will die out. Mass immigration of non-conforming peoples.

You don't know wtf you're talking about.

Can someone who knows languages well tell me: which pair is more mutually intelligible: French-Latin, or English-Old English?

Almost nobody in this thread has a clue what they're talking about, though they THINK they do, and they really believe it. It's pathetic; you see people adamantly defending pseudo-linguistics like "English is (part) Romance" or "not all languages change" or "Romance languages devolved from Latin."

The ones on the left are just smug because they are closer to roman I guess.

FUCKING NORMANS GET OUT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Go to London and try to talk to someone wearing a hijab.

I can't understand either.

Not London here, but Sweden. Malmö.

Most of the arabs I know do not speak perfect Swedish, but everyone does speak fluently, even the refugees.

Holy fuckig shit you're ur retarded as radiation saturated sperm.

The Chinese system has benefits too, the fact that it isn't really phonetic makes it easier to read for people from different regions for example. The fact that China managed to create a state which can embrace a region larger than all of Europe might have some relationship to their writing system.

Also the same exists to some extent in pretty much every pre-modern society. Pre-modern societies generally have a high language which isn't spoken by the general population. Think Europe with Latin during the Medieval ages; nobody spoke Latin except the elites who used it for communication and writing, and the majority of the people were illiterate. The fact that Latin was different and more complex (not having lost its declensions) than the languages of the masses was not a negative, conversely it was a benefit. Even today if the average man on the street tried to read, say, a post-modernist academic work, they'd be pretty much lost, even if it is technically written in the same language that they speak.

It didn't really matter that Chinese was impossible to read for the common people, because they weren't the ones who were going to be reading it, it would be the elites. A system that is simpler to learn is useful when mass literacy becomes important, and predictably when that happened China started standardizing on what we call modern Mandarin and replacing Classical Chinese, and the PRC did character reforms to make it easier. Today, the Chinese do pretty much universally learn their language and writing system, its only for us, the outsiders, that they have such a weird writing system that it is really a drawback.

*region larger in population vis-a-vis europe

still pretty big in scale too

it just depends on the population of speakers in contact with each other, the higher the population the faster the change

for example iceland has a population roughly the size of york (ie 250,000) so theyre language is very similar to norse and they can still read and understand the norse sagas about people colonising north america

it would be interesting to see how similar greenlandic would be to norse if it still existed

french is furthest from latin because it has always had a massive population compared to the rest of europe, they didnt even have a population spike with industrialisation because the population was already huge and had been for hundreds of years

you have a real citation on that or did you read it in a magazine?

Gaul literally means "celto-roman" in Germanic you dunce.

> The fact that China managed to create a state which can embrace a region larger than all of Europe might have some relationship to their writing system.

Except the differences in the various ancient Asian dialects were minor, compared to Europe where Romance, Germanic and Slavic are wildly different languages.

> Today, the Chinese do pretty much universally learn their language and writing system, its only for us, the outsiders, that they have such a weird writing system that it is really a drawback.

Except any technical writing is in English, as Chinese writing simply isn’t suited for a modern society.

Dutch.

Romanfags mad the language of backwards Germanic island savages is now the Lingua Franca.

And how would that be in any way useful?

>Except the differences in the various ancient Asian dialects were minor, compared to Europe where Romance, Germanic and Slavic are wildly different languages.
Irrelevant. Mandarin and Cantonese are mutually incomprehensible, and yet the two languages can still exist together as part of China relatively well. It doesn't matter if the difference is huge so long as it exists, see Portugal, France, Italy, and Spain. The differences in Chinese dialects are just as big as those between the Romance languages yet China has a single civilization and they do not. Or we could compare this to Pan-Slavism, the Slavic languages despite being the same family failed utterly at this, while China, well, China exists.

>Refugees
Once the refugee arrives at Turkey, they are no longer a refugee, and have become an economic migrant.

English got cucked by Normans in 1066. You speak a creole language bro.

No one is going to deny English is largely a latin language though.

the phrase refugee is a slur in Swedish, hence my use of it.

Accurate

Not him, but Latin is a very practical language, and it would help bring a deeper sense of unification to the Union.

Romance languages are Vulgar Latin + time

The Catholic Church still uses Latin in official documents and there are masses said in Latin.

Not at all. It has a lot of Latinate vocabulary, but that doesn't determine what family it belongs to.

>Latin is a very practical language
wtf does that even mean?

>The Chinese can still read Confucius from the BCs
Well no actually, not without difficulty and some are totally unreadable. I have first hand experience of this.

The rules of English are basically the same as the rules of French. Its not just the vocabulary.

Then you should know you are just unfamiliar with some of the symbols.

t. man who has literally never read anything in Chinese once in his entire life

English is structurally a Germanic language, it's laughable to suggest otherwise

True, English is known for conjugating all its verbs, putting object pronouns before verbs, and putting adjectives after the noun.

>implying that modern Finnish is any way comparable to the sophisitcation of the vulgar hyper-finnish that was spoken around 0 AD

For English speakers Romance languages are easier to master than other Germanic languages.