My Irish ancestors were literally BTFO for thousands of years but they looked really cool

My Irish ancestors were literally BTFO for thousands of years but they looked really cool
>ITT: Irish appreciation

>tfw your shitty project fails so hard the guys you kicked out come back and hang your rotting corpse

what did the english mean by this?

Collection of Irish swords

Coincidentally OP it's actually the anniversary of Dürer's death today

moar

yet moar

Jesus, how much money did you spend on all this stuff user?

But you do realise they fucked an empire off pretty damn good.

Those helmets are Irish?

uh... black Irish?

The top is a cheekless Scottish burgeonet. The bottom is a continental crested morion. Both would have been acquired through payment or booty as mercs.

Pic related is a native design from Ireland: the Lough Henney helm. They were very stunted, technologically.

this put it all on ebay and if some autistic LARPer wants to pay top Euro for it let him be your guest

Irish definitely the most aesthetic

Haha get fucked Connacht

>two Irish threads on the front page
Truly the Irish are the most powerful race in the world

*blocks your path*

looks like those ones that the soldiers of Gondor wear

Why didn't they have proper fuckibg shoes?

They did, they were just mostly worn indoors

What kind of backward potato thinking is that?

Ireland at the time was basically a giant hilly forested bog so if you wore shoes outside you'd just ruin them. Ireland wasn't exactly the wealthiest place in the world so most people probably only had one or two pairs of shoes, and cows were used as currency and maybe that effected the leather supply somewhat.

Thanks for this I reply kind user.

>found in a bog

>these shoes were worn inside

>unverifiable illigical sounding horseshit
>people take it as fact
>image of shoe found in bog, when bogs are generally outside houses

Not all of those are swords user, one of them is a lobster.

Irish "history"

they look like hobits

>get your track shoes, we're going to murder you and throw you into a bog

maybe leprechauns were hobbits

>hang
No he was ritually beheaded and put on tower bridge>celts
>aesthetic
Nah m8 that's the angul seaxans

The Shire was an allegorical representation of Ireland.

The user you're responding to isn't all wrong. Shoes weren't worn outside often but some classes were more likely to do it than others. Gallowglasses are consistently portrayed in artwork as wearing shoes outside, as are nobles, guards and priests, while ascetics, monks, peasants and common soldiers generally don't wear shoes outside in Irish artwork.

It's not really "unverifiable" as the artwork from the 9th until the 16th century is pretty consistent in that regard. In the 17th century Irish dress changes quite dramatically and starts to look a little less unique, and shoes become a lot more common after this point.

The Shire represented rural England, not Ireland. Tolkien didn't like Ireland very much. Consider that he used Welsh as an inspiration for Elvish while he used Irish as a partial inspiration for Black Speech.

>Celts not aesthetic.
Please.

Why don't they wear shoes?

The Shire was the west midlands.

the scouring of the shire was tolkien's commentary on the industrialization of the midlands during his lifetime.

ireland is all bogs, marsh and moss

The Shire is Oxfordshire, Tolkien's home.

G A L L O W G L A S S

>literally BTFO for thousands of years
Not really. More like BTFO for a few hundred years

Reminder that:

connacht > munster > ulster >>>>>> ((((leinster))))

Ireland being bog-land is what necessitated the development of the brogue (which are Irish). They were made in such a way as to let the water leak back out of the shoe, so you didn't get fucking swamp foot.

The IRA really had its budget cut

GALLOW
GLASS

Is that Armour Class' claymore? Fuckin' want one.

The third Tipperary Brigade, groups like this defeated the worlds most powerful and largest empire.

Great collection.

I suppose. I'll green text this

>Be Irish
>when I was about 10 my friend found an old ornate sword near a castle
> lol lets chop up trees
>sword breaks
>throw into ditch

My archaeologist girlfriend still hates me for it,
Also a neolithic brass axe was found about 100 metres from my house near a cairn which is pretty rare I'm told.

user you absolute fucker

I'm sorry..

I know that there is a place reserved for me in hell

Cú Chulainn art is really nice

It's like looking at a pile of severed cocks!
Those belonged to men, this isn't dignified!

Is Cu Chulainn a cute femboy warrior?

Tolkien hated allegory; all those similarities were coincidental or not meant to be taken seriously.

here's the thinkin' man

I've always hated that way of depicting him. He's described in the myths as being short and dark, constantly sullen and sort of evil looking.

Pat Bolger wrote a comic about him called Hound and I think that's probably the best depiction of him. Pic related

where are they supposto be sailing to?

fuuuuuck

Wrong. In a letter to his publishers, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien wrote that The Shire - home to the "little people" better known as hobbits - was "more or less a Warwickshire village of about the period of [Queen Victoria's] Diamond Jubilee" in 1897.

That could've become such a dope family heirloom.

They are Galatian mercs in Egypt