Is cannibalism inherently wrong? Is murder the only reason it's seen as an evil in the first place?

Is cannibalism inherently wrong? Is murder the only reason it's seen as an evil in the first place?

(for the sake of the question, let's ignore literally having to eat plane crash victims to survive)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mQLzz7qorws
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=mQLzz7qorws

And people blame the West for exterminating "culture" like this.

Cannibalism leads to mad cow disease there's a reason consistent non ceremonial cannibalism is almost non existent.

Killing humans is wrong. Eating them isn't.

It also lead to an immunite to an certain brain disease.

Some chimpanzees do it, so it's not a big deal.

There is an intrinsic dignity to the human form that most right thinking people are hesitant to desecrate

Also if you eat a dude then prions will slowly turn your brain into jello

>Is cannibalism inherently wrong?
Why fucking would it be?

>Is murder the only reason it's seen as an evil in the first place?
The vast majority of regular cannibalism practices are from natural death, like in the pic you're using.

AFAIK, Kuru isn't Mad Cow but it's essentially the same shit with a different protein.

The Yanomami and other groups circumvent this by doing a ritual consumption of the bone alone, first fired, then pulverized, then added in handfuls to a plantain stew.

You're thinking of Kuru.

Prion disease isn't a certainty but in a ritual cannibalistic society one incident of its development can spiral out of control real fuckin' fast.

Also, to re-reference the Yanomamo, they ARE preserving the dignity of the body; the thought of burial is unthinkably disrespectful to them when they're attempting to preserve the body of the ancestor within their own.

>Is murder the only reason it's seen as an evil in the first place?
No, most people would be extremely morally disgusted with someone who cannibalized a person they hadn't killed.
The only reason somebody would doubt whether cannibalism was wrong is if they were a utilitarian.
>(for the sake of the question, let's ignore literally having to eat plane crash victims to survive)
Why?
It's an obvious counterexample to the claim that cannibalism is inherently wrong.
There's an obvious way to counter it, though, which is to say that cannibalism still has some inherent wrongness, but an amount that can fail to be decisive in some circumstances (e.g. in extremis).

>Cannibalism leads to mad cow disease
That's not a reason it's wrong, just that it's imprudent.
You can't argue drinking spoiled milk is wrong because it leads to sickness, just that it's a bad idea.

>Why fucking would it be?
Why wouldn't it be?
If you want to maintain that it definitely isn't, you need arguments for that too.
>they ARE preserving the dignity of the body; the thought of burial is unthinkably disrespectful to them when they're attempting to preserve the body of the ancestor within their own.
This is what relativists always do, conflate moral views with moral truths.
The fact that this practice may be intended to respect the human body does not mean that it in fact does it.
You can be a delusional crazy person who thinks the most respectful way to treat your dead grandparents is to piss on their graves (perhaps solemnly). You're just wrong, and actually disrespecting them.

> an action is automatically good as long as there is an extreme hypothetical example out there where it's justified

There's something wrong about that, but I can't put my finger on it

>the fact that this practice may be intended to respect the human body does not mean that it in fact does it

thats exactly what it means. who are YOU to dictate what is respectful in the eyes of others. Different people have different ideas about what is proper and what isnt, and they are all as valid as each other

Found the sorcerer

Not any more wrong than eating animals

Back before Histo Channel became shit, they had a documentary about Cannibalism.

The Kuru story struck me the most because when Christian missionaries told them off of it, they were distressed as fuck with christian burials since the way they see it, their loved ones are eaten by filthy animals and insects instead instead of the dignity of having his/her remains consumed by his whole tribe.

It's wrong because it treats human beings as means rather than ends.

You realize your concept of "respecting the dead" also depends on your judeo/christian culture background right?
Who is to say that letting your ancestor's bodies be food for worms and not for other people is more respectful?

Fuck off sorceror, I bet you caused my crippling social anxiety

In the Himalayas, they literally get a dude in the village to chop the guy up with a meat cleaver into bits that can quickly be devoured by birds due to the lack of soil and wood.

It's primitive as fuck and a poor method of waste control, probably enables the transmissions of far more parasites and diseases than other possible.

Ethically speaking? If you subscribe to inalienable civil/humans rights, then yes since people (living or dead) are not commodities.

Human meat isn't very nutritious, and can lead to prion diseases.

Its illegality comes more based on a societal values thing. Same reason most countries don't allow bigamy, or nudity in public.

They may have actually lifted the Sky Burial from Towers of Silence.

The vultures of Sky Burial, btw, are manifestations of the Dhakinis, or female spirits.

>Why wouldn't it be?
I dunno, the act of putting flesh in one's mouth and chewing, devoid of all other context, seems pretty much like a routine action. To reference Yanomami death praxes, again, nobody got killed. Nobody's getting hurt.

I simply do not see how it's a universal evil to consume human remains, but on the other hand I'm a confirmed cannibal so who am I to have an objective opinion about this.

>moral views with moral truths
Again I'm a little lost on HOW consuming a strip of flesh or bone is utterly immoral when it's from the body of someone who shares your subspecies.

>does not mean that it in fact does
And you're the sole arbiter of global cultural dynamics of respect....why again?

> confirmed cannibal

I need context and pics

When I put the cut on the crown of my ritual skull and hollowed out the kangling I saved the bone dust to add into Cakes of Light, a Eucharist made from honey, flour, and sexual fluid, which use beeswing/cream of tartar as a leavening agent.

You can see the ritual skull over in the /omg/ library update's OP pic and my kangling is pic related.