Future lingua franca

If a non-English speaking country such as China were to become the next sole superpower, would the world lingua franca change to that country's language, or would English still be used because it already has firmly rooted itself in the lingua franca position during globalization?

If English would still remain even after a new superpower arises, what WOULD need to happen to oust it?

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp
zompist.com/spell.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

English is basically a patois as it is, it's not a real language like French or German, no need to change it.

I think Mandarin is too complex for foreigners to easily pick up unlike English

>Chinese is a language

>le superpower by 2030 meme

I was just giving an example (one that is often mention in talks about a "next superpower"). It doesn't have to be China.

Shart in the mart

I live in San Francisco and I see this literal shit here too.

Chinese simply doesn't have what english already has. Also English has a history of two superpowers that made it so vital to international trade/whatever else. The brits then the brits+america then just america. There is and was a large english speaking population in many countries thanks in part to things like the competitiveness of US/UK universities. Future heads of state and global bigwigs studied at anglo unis. Isoroku Yamamoto went to harvard for example.
Chinese is spoken by a fuckton of people but just in one region. They're yet to subjugate the world by force or by money in order to force their language to be learned.

Also its ugly as sin

He didn't say anything suggesting that though.

>Alphabet was here
>Ideograms are for fags

In all seriousness, English has a lot of appealing qualities for a global language. It's phonetic, but there's no standard pronunciation as with Latin or Spanish.

This means that you can introduce words like "schadenfreude" from German or "taikun" from Japanese very easily.

In Mandarin, there's a limited number of ideograms that already have set meanings. Hence how they had to struggle for years to translate "Coca Cola" into Chinese, and what they ended up with translated literally to "bite the wax tadpole."

English is a pain in the ass to learn, but it's one of the most versatile languages on earth when it comes to adapting to new cultures.

The map does

Is that the ultimate secret Chinese martial art?

>English is a pain in the ass to learn

the hell are you talking about

It is a language, people just refer to it by its dialects.

I can't tell if you are meming on Chinese, or if you are saying that it would have been more accurate to say "Mandarin Chinese" in contrast to other Chinese languages (like if I said "Indian" instead of a specific language).

For every instance of consistency, there are two instances of inconsistency.

Nigs are starting to learn chink before French and English in Africa. If they grow as much as the UN projects Mandarin could become a thing

English isn't Phonetic though.

So much ignorance in this post.
SAD ISN'T IT?

I'm lovin these constant linguistics threads

>most widely spoken language in the world
>patois
the eternal butthurt over the eternal anglo. here is your (you)

All the Chinese people I've met say English is easy. The grammar is very streamlined. It's the orthography and pronunciation that are inconsistent.

coca cola in chinese is 可口可乐 which is kekou kele in pinyin, and means more along the lines of "delicous and happy"

Every language in the world borrows from its neighbors. English isn't special at all in that regard. And the pronunciations are modified to fit with the standard sound scheme of your English dialect.

>Hence how they had to struggle for years to translate "Coca Cola" into Chinese
Those poor chinamen couldn't translate the deep and beautiful meaning of "Coca Cola" into their backwards, reptilian language.
>what they ended up with translated literally to "bite the wax tadpole."
That's just an urban legend. Native speakers are very rarely confused by homonyms in their own language. When was the last time you confused "sea" and "see" in conversation?
>English is a pain in the ass to learn, but it's one of the most versatile languages on earth when it comes to adapting to new cultures
Only because every retard from Los Angeles to New Guinea speaks it. If half the world spoke Icelandic we would be amazed at how versatile and adaptive it is.

why tho

Eww no wiping. A long time ago I heard Chinese women don't wipe their butts and this looks like it proves it.

Must smell like shit all day.

Icelandic is inherently flexible though so it likely could have become as adaptable as English if it had spread. The thing that I find remarkable about English is that despite how far flung all the English speaking countries are, despite how much regional variants can twist it, it still remains completely mutually intelligible with every other English dialect. Pretty much the only English dialects that lack mutual intelligibility with the rest of the English-speaking world are very small, isolated communities and even then most English speakers can start to understand them after picking up on their quirks. I can't think of another language that has this kind of variance without becoming unintelligible. It's especially striking because even in a space as small as Europe you have cases of dialects becoming unintelligible after only 1 degree of separation from each other.

The future lingua franca will be your native language + an AI translator

I don't think English will be replaced anytime soon, if at all - six year olds are learning it in eastern Europe and it will be (at least) the global language of this century.
I would love to se it swap places with Czech though, since that is a flexible, simple to read and logical language, had there ever been one.

Really? Most of the Chinese I've met will only speak (extremely broken) English if forced to.

>Implying someone in north america can understand a drunk welshman

There's only two brogues I can't understand: really thick Newfoundland accent and this one northern Scotch accent that I swear is them deliberately slurring their words to be as confusing as possible.

England only really spread out in the last 200-300 years, another few centuries and they'll all be separate languages.

Things are too interconnected now for that to happen. Internet, TV, movies, and even just sharing printed media keeps written English more or less standard across the entire world even if spoken versions vary. It's pretty much only the very isolated communities that are in danger of losing their intelligibility.

Chengliñol

There's actually fewer myths being floated in this thread than I expected (nothing against Veeky Forums, linguistics as a field is just prone to them) but I will say that 1. English is not, in general, particularly hard to learn and 2. virtually every fucking group with their own language (except for the French) clings to the belief that their language is ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!

By and large, it's just wanking. Yes, even with Chinese.

Obviously the guy who called english "just a patois" was talking nonsense.

>bite the wax tadpole
snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp

you're wrong there, but the rest of your post is right

>(except for the French)
but the french unironically believe that their language is one of the most difficult to become fluent it, but that just isn't true of any latin languages

Mandarin will never be taken seriously unless the changs get rid of the tiny pictures and create a consistent pronunciation system.

The pictures aren't a big issue though.

aren't the Chinese big on Esperanto?

>virtually every fucking group with their own language (except for the French) clings to the belief that their language is ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!

Only ones with a big issue.

Yh they are, its retarded you to have to memorize thousands of symbols just to be slightly literate in China.

>hurr english is good guys

Dictionary
Dishunery

Fiction
Ficshun

Elevation
Eleevashun

meat
meet

meat- ME-AT sounds more like met.

the fuck you on about you dumb shit

Imagine how good that felt though

literally the least confusing part of english

Only correct answer

not that hard though.
you really underestimate peoples ability to remember and memorise these symbols.

Makes me want to shart quickly in streets

>Dictionary
>Dishunery
You don't pronounce the k-sound where you are from?

You seem to talk like an idiot.

No just fiksing the pronounciashun.

Please learn the IPA before you propose to understand what the phonology of English is.
Here's a fun little article about spelling reform that you can read: zompist.com/spell.html

>China
>ever becoming a global superpower
>ever making its retarded semi-impossible mess of a language the lingua franca
lol butthurt chinks, mudslides, and spics really want to LARP as people who aren't eternally cucked by English-speaking anglos

It literally takes Chinese children twice the time to reach the same level of fluency as Westerners do

Man I've never hear anyone from anywhere pronounce dictionary as "dishunery" or elevation and "eleevashun", either you suck at transcribing pronunciation or you're pronouncing these words wrong.

>German lost its chance to have such a status
>Twice
Just kill me already

ur thread sux but neway
fk french
>If a non-English speaking country such as China were to become the next sole superpower,

how?

only possibility i see is moscow gets a nuclear dirty bomb flag, ff's, steps out of the "great game",
OIC somehow get some tech game going and consolidate saudi through paki,

the sikhs convert to islam (yeah im lolling)
the dali lama becomes president of china, and also converts to islam.

islam then rules the world and a new hybrid indu-chin-arabic language emerges across the next 100 years while america also engages in a perpetual second civil war of east vs west coast (with east fragmented to the south), mexico becomes a totalitarian hinge state over sth america, and britain falls propper into V style gov.

africa becomes the middle class of the world and china rebuilds the hole of the pacific that the moons impact left

it then colonises said moon and onto the solar system

mid-europa becomes a stagnant backwatered deflationary shithole

au chills, internalised successive mercantilism within its own borders led by an autocratic inner circle elite headed by myself and i get a little mini replica crown that i wear around on my permenently erect dick until im assasinated by a pissed ex

You must be 18 or older to post on Veeky Forums.

How fuck does TION or TI-ON make the SHUN sound?

1) english has a lot of influence in programming languages
2) english still has a lot of primary users
3) english still has a lot of secondary users
4) USA, Australia, Canada and UK will still be significant
5) Chinese really sucks for secondary users
6) Chinese really doesn't fit the "simple" bill
7) Chinese really doesn't fit the "familiar" bill for westerners and only shares things with well... Japanese, their rivals
So no.

>my attention span is 18 word maxs

How the fuck does dictionary not have a /k/ and how is the second e in elevation have a /i/ sound?

shouldnt his be a 25+ board anyway?