Would observed History change at all if Australia never existed?

Would observed History change at all if Australia never existed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Australian_inventions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushranger
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

no

>>>reddit

maybe

do you mean australia in general or as a british colony?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Australian_inventions

It makes me so proud just how much we've effected the rest of the world

The history of the natural sciences would've been stunted.
Also the world would be robbed of a number of medical innovations.

Probably more Anglo immigration to America, Canada, New Zealand, etc.

Australia, as in the continent since the ancient ages.

I don't know

Sure. Just not all that much.

The Pacific theater of WW2 for a start would have been quite different.

we probably wouldn't have ''Somebody that I used to know"

Not OP, but care to elaborate? Australia's impact in the Pacific War was pretty limited. You'd probably still have a Solomons campaign even without them, and it's not like they churned out a lot of war material.

what would we do without the didgeridoo and woomera

They were a good base of Operations though, especially for the British in the early days of the war.

I'm having trouble thinking of any major British operations based in Australia though. And let's not kid ourselves, 90% of the heavy lifting was done by the U.S., and they were generally working from bases further east, places like Pearl Harbor and Pago Pago.

I think the world would be a better place, noticeably.

Honestly I don't think the course of History would be effected accept for the different physical phenomena in that part of the ocean.

Possibly. It would mean more white people in Europe, US, and Canada

Not very noticably.

It'd be nice if the Brits had set up on a penal colony somewhere else in lack of Australia. Perhaps South Africa to breed out the Boers?

Well I wouldn't have my parakeet birds here. So for me personally it would suck. Thank you australia for providing these based birds.

We wouldnt get those hot emu memes

Without Australia the 2 bombs wouldn't have been dropped on japan

Elaborate.

What's sometimes overlooked is that Australia pioneered a bunch of democratic reforms, such as the eight hour day, secret (Australian) ballot, compulsory voting (governments have to pay attention to the interests of everyone and particularly of the poor) and preferential voting (ensures that only a candidate with the support of an absolute majority of the electorate can win), wage arbitration laws, and the rights of women to both vote and stand for election

>The little band of Americans who initiated the modern [suffrage] movement would never have predicted that…the island continent of Australia, then unexplored wilderness, would become a great democracy where self-government would be carried on with such enthusiasm, fervor and wisdom that they would give lessons in methods and principles to all the rest of the world.

~Carrie Chapman Catt

if australia (as in the physical continental land mass) had never existed to inhibit the mediation of sea temperatures between the Indian, pacific and southern oceans the world would be a much colder place. more than likely the earth would have remained in a deep ice age for the past several million years and the human species would never have evolved or become sentient. So I guess there's that

if australia as a landmass existed, but was not colonized by the Europeans, the area (at least the northern latitudes and over time possibly the eastern and south eastern coastlines) would have been settled by Indonesians. This would have established a geological foundation for a greatly enlarged Islamic empire for this south east Asian culture

In all likelihood, France would have settled the place some time in the 1790s. That's why Britain established a penal colony in the first place, to beat the French who were showing interest in the area

can you repeat the question?

Democracy is literal shit and universal suffrage was a catastrophic mistake

Abbos would be exactly the same tbqh

>despite all this QE is still the head of state

>Reaction to empiricisms is edgy
How about you murder yourself back to your subreddit you fucktard?

But Australia is not the only country that had it not existed, wouldn't have changed world history at all. The same happens with all of Oceania, a very big part of Sub-Saharan Africa, huge parts of Siberia and Canada, Greenland, Iceland, the Guyanas, a lot of islands in the Caribbean... World history is very asymmetricla in that aspect, because only a few countries had a very disproportional amount of influence in world history, while many others left no marks on it.

Example: The most important countries for world history were European. Particularly Italy and Greece for Greco-Roman culture, UK, France and Spain/Portugal for colonization of the world, Germany and Russia for causing massive continental wars and revolutions that changed history. Those countries I just mentioned were by far the most important in world history, without a doubt.

Then we have other countries that were very important, but not as much. For example, Mongols, because with their invasions they changed quite a lot of things in the world. Turks too, for destroying the Byzantine Empire and later creating a great Caliphate that conditioned the actions of many European countries. China mostly for their culture and inventions, not so much for their actions since they were isolationists.

USA on the other hand has only become relevant in the last 100 years. So I don't think it deserves a spot in the top of this list yet.

and stripped of all power

all she does it tour once a decade to wave at people and pet koalas. it's comfy being a constitutional monarchy

Nice.
Thanks for all the info, Anons.

Though it would be nice to know if Australia has ever affected a civilization culturally too.

absolutely, it would have become a black skinned paradise of eden on earth with african indian chinese and native american immigration

instead, yeah.

Australia's probably the one country that would have developed a strong Western style frontier mythology without American influence. Many of the first feature films ever made were about Australian bushrangers (outlaws), these proved quite popular in America and influenced how they imagined their own frontier

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushranger

They had a significant impact in the early days of the war.
Without them New Guinea would most certainly have fallen to the Japs, if we assume New Guinea would still exist without Australia I mean.
Would NZ exist or no?

If we're just talking Australia itself but the other little islands still exist then yeah, without them the Japs would have seen a lot more success in 41 and 42. Unsure how much it would affect 43 and 44. It would certainly slow down the US advance but it's still a guarnatee the Japanese would lose the Pacific, just at a slower rate.

Australia housed a lot of American soldiers and was important for being able to repair large ships that would otherwise have to sail back to Hawaii. For serious repairs ships still had to travel back to California of course.

2 in 3 people on this planet are asian

who has changed it more in recent years

Oh, AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, so fucking funny, Reddit. You gonna have a pun thread next? Fuck off.