How much worse was the Russian Empire compared to the Soviet Union?

How much worse was the Russian Empire compared to the Soviet Union?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They became a world power as the Soviet Union. They were just a bunch of poor serfs under monarchy before.

I've heard that until the revolution happened Nicholas II's Russia was already undergoing rapid industrialization and that Stalin's industrialization miracle was just a continuation of what Nicholas II had set before him. Is this true?

consider this

when the nazis invaded most of the rail line they encountered/used was from ww1

Poorer than Poortugal.

If that photo really shows the same place, then how come basically none of the buildings from 1912 still exist?

Why would they all just be demolished? I would understand if *some* buildings have been demolished, but it seems like almost ALL of them have.

The only building that I think might be the same is this one in the lower left. It looks incredibly similar with the roof, and the five windows - but the whole building looks sunken in 2012, like it's only one story tall. But I think it is actually two stories tall, and it's just the angle of the photo. Look closely on the 2012 version at that building; you can see the two stories of windows, just about. I think the ridge of the road is obscuring the view of the lower story.

Still, why has basically every single other building been demolished?

Also where is this? South America? Australia?

The Empire still practiced feudalism well into the 20th century and really until the revolution. The rights and living standards of the general populace probably did increase under the Soviets but probably fluctuated a bit depending on leadership.

Actually just realised it's probably Russia given the topic of the thread, and given this photo you posted which clearly looks like Russia: Still, my other questions still stand

>326 is less than 292

Huh, wow.

Probably got destroyed during the civil war or torn down by soviet loonies, I don't know.

Left photos are by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky btw.

There was a fire in '35 that took out most of the old buildings. It was caused by a lightning strike.

It was better.

By what metric do you measure its superiority?

less civil deaths

Czarist Russia had more its share of genocides over its hundreds of years. Go look back at the reign of Ivan the Terrible with the Massacre of Novgorod to see how brutal Russia's monarchy could be when it wanted to. The only advantage the Soviets had was technological, in terms of brutality the two are equal.

Reminder that in 1917, only 24% of adults in the Russian Empire could even read. By 1939 it was to 90%. The Soviet Union was horrible in a lot of ways but at least they aspired to be more than farm equipment.

bet they liked reading more than eating

Are you under the impression that being a tsarist peasant meant you were well-fed?

Many of the Soviet deaths were because of the Great Patriotic War so it's not a fair comparison.

>Tsarist Russia
>eating
Lol no, sweetie.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines

>1891-92: estimated 375,000–500,000

meanwhile
>Russian famine of 1921: estimated 5 million
>Soviet famine of 1932–1933 and Soviet-related famine in Ukraine: 7–10 million in Ukraine, millions in Russia

Well potentially. Major changes had to happen in either case.

An agricultural laborer at full tilt would need 4000 calories a day.

For him and his family of a wife and (atleast) five children. He's allowed to cultivate less than 4000 calories worth of food for himself to feed all of them, the rest goes to the Church or to the Crown. Later, it all goes to the State. Either way, you're fucked and your kids probably starve.

The peasantry was rarely in a state of constant semi starvation this is a history board stop spreading meme history.

Yeah, it's not like they were so starved they rebelled on numerous occasions. Oh, wait...

>Bulavin
>Pugachev
>Razin
>Mahtra
>Urkun

It's not meme history, it's history. Stop pretending you know anything about Tsarist Russia.

I love the photos of Produkin-Gorsky, I bought a huge book with the hole collection of his pictures of Zarist Russia

I guess they just rebelled for the fun of it then?

In terms of repression, it wasn't quite as bad. It was certainly less developed and had lower critical indicators though AFAIK.

The Soviet Union proper had two famines, and one of them occurred largely because of war damage.

They worked very hard, eventually lived on smaller and smaller plots, and faced a lot of poverty and privations.

All I know is that von Moltke believed the Russian Empire to be on the way of military superiority over the the Germans. This, of course could only be achieved through thorough industrialization.

>They became a world power as the Soviet Union. They were just a bunch of poor serfs under monarchy before.
You realize the Soviet citizens pretty much had the serf-status of their great-grandfathers, right?

>24% of adults in the Russian Empire could even read
yes that's why russian before communism produced the best writers in the world because they couldn't read, fucking disinfo leftypol shills keep spewing their commie propaganda

ITT commie subhumans try to present the USSR as a developed paradise on Earth

And this literally saved their asses idiot.

Ask those best writers what they thought about the Czar and Russia.

mothers starved alongside their dead children while their fathers never came home from the war-mongering. Fighting the glorious Von Habsburgs out when they were they only thing keeping the country together. It was run by dictators who called themselves kings or emperors when they were just demagoges, stealing land from people who knew how to work it and giving it to people who didn't. Russia brought it upon themselves when they backed the self-styled rurikovich family (who were actually ukranian) and as of such Russia was punished severly.

Tell me more about it. This sounds interesting.

I've always thought Russias early czars were competent, but evil. Would Russia really have been better off without the rurikovich?

Ask them what they thought about soviet russia.
Oh wait they were executed and russia stopped producing them.

;_;