Is scripting in a language to automate your job a meme?

is scripting in a language to automate your job a meme?

what prevents them from simply saying "thanks for automating your job; we dont need you anymore/we arent going to pay you anymore now that weve extracted all the value out of you"

how do you protect yourself?

take your script with you lol, like just print it then take it home haha

Don't tell anyone, let the script do your work for you, and trade crypto at work

DRM

if you write a program at work they technically own it.

in addition if they have access to all of your internet traffic my fear is that they can snoop in and see that you are running a script.

i don't want to fucking build this shit if the company is just going to take it and make me do more work (in addition to maintaining the program) but also i am constantly stressed at how much fucking time i am wasting (time that i cant get back) being a fucking underachiever.

>if your boss is a finances guy or HR human waste computer illiterate
>create script
>tell nobody
>spend all day doing nothing while script works for you and you get paid
>say you worked extra hard and ask for a raise
You guys are too kind towards the ungrateful bastards that would replace you just to save 5 fucking cents.

>if you write a program at work they technically own it.
depends if that's in the contract you signed when you got hired

Wish I could do this...my job involves (partly) reading old ass legal documents, often handwritten, and making determinations about how they affect ownership of property. Then I type up my report in Excel.

I could get the fucking Excel part scripted but I don't know if a computer could look at images of documents and pull out the relevant info and shit. Fuck.

1. automation doesn't mean that a code literally does everything a human can possibly do. any unusual event, a bug, an update in the process, etc. means someone has to fix the code or do the work manually. ideally you protect/hide your code but in most cases if it's a big enough script then nobody will know how to fix it but you aka job security.

2. what is the logic in evaluating somebody by how much they already did and firing them? that skill in particular can be applied to literally everything.

3. the myth about automation replacing jobs in general is short sighted. we will always be 10 steps ahead of any sufficient technology in figuring out a valuable task to perform. even at the scale of a single company, if the same money is there for you then you can balance out working less, doing more experimental work, and continuously improving your own output. the idea that a computer program untouched can live for more than 5 years in any competitive industry is absolute retardation.

>a computer could look at images of documents and pull out the relevant info and shit
100%? i dont think so
80%? maybe

there should be a python script called an "OCR" tool called Tesseract. Unfortunately it primarily only works with highquality scans so you maybe out of luck.

i dont know how easy/hard it is but interpreting data is something you could potentially get done through crowdsourced mTurk work.

>ideally you protect/hide your code
i'm just not sure how i would achieve this haha.
i dont know what kinds of software my work laptop has in terms of reporting any unusual activity or whatever on it so it could potentially be uploading all of my files to their central server whenever i connect to the network and thus even if i did make a script, my company gets a hold of it anyways.

>i dont know what kinds of software my work laptop has in terms of reporting any unusual activity or whatever on it so it could potentially be uploading all of my files to their central server whenever i connect to the network and thus even if i did make a script, my company gets a hold of it anyways.
the fuck? nigger this isnt a movie, companies don't do that.

hahahaha

This is why you write no documentation so you're the only one who knows how the code works. If it ever breaks, they'll be begging you to work $500/hr to fix it

if your really so paranoid connect you local wifi and run wireshark while coding, then check the connections against known company IP's

read the history of the first computer virus, op

>how do you protect yourself?
By not telling them dummy. Then use the time for an online business/ a little "extra" work while you rack up pats on the back.

already at my job i have 0 documentation for my process.

this is a fucking problem though as everyone we have been hiring cannot learn apparently without documentation to outline every little step so in essence i can only dole out the very baseline monotonous work while still being busy as fuck myself.

i never wouldve had to consider the option of scripting my job if only the people they hired to help me were competent but even if i learn how to do this i dont want the company to benefit from it either.

>i can automate my job
>i don't know how to protect my code
hmm.

anyway, for starters you can write the code to be really messy, disorganized and split up across a number of files, without sacrificing execution time.

>for starters you can write the code to be really messy, disorganized and split up across a number of files
fuck that literally describes my job process.

every curated file i produce to give to my underlings is the product of almost 3-4 different sources.

what like data tabulation/aggregation?

you already said your company is outdated cancer. just keep your source code on a flash drive or personal email and run it in secret to "assist" rather than "do" your job.

i want automation to be able to do anything for me.

scrape the web for job order updates
manage my spreadsheets and automatically assign work order fulfillment duties to my coworkers while coordinating resources that we have to share amongst ourselves and completely improving our quality of life or at the very least mine

...are you an idiot talking about a hypothetical magical script to do your work.

or have you coded this and want to protect it?

If you were half as competent as you think you are you would be able to easily automate, obfuscate and have a piece of code mutate, stop working or self destroy without proper parameters without your company even realizing since by the way you describe it everyone is downright incompetent you included

t./g/

underrated

You don't tell anyone about it you KEK

>implying anything other than keeping it to yourself is an option

This is exactly what happened to me. Write the scripts and run them for your tasks, but don't tell anybody.

This.

>Automate job
>Don't tell anyone
>Read books at work

Experian paid me shit anyway, so I used them as social benefits.

I actually simply didn't work the last 6 months and I quit for a 3x salary, lmfao.

Write the program at home and sell it to the company for $1m.

I am not a programmer semigod, but iam shure you can put some password on a program and if someone tries to use it, afther a wrong pasword it can terminate itself, and show an error screen...

Newfag, who just started to learn vba and can put macroes everwhere in an excel doc.

>Automate job
>No longer needed
>Every other company now wants to hire you