Was Greco-Roman architecture superior to medieval architecture?

Was Greco-Roman architecture superior to medieval architecture?

yes it was, until they started building those giant gothic style cathedrals

Theit ability to mass produce architectural feats most certainly outstripped what came after. I would say they were much better engineers with bigger budgets and better infastructure.

>superior
grow up

Of course

No, that's a shitty meme promoted by people who don't know anything about the middle ages.

You are the one who doesn't know anything about the Middle Ages. I bet you think that cathedral in Aachen was actually built during Charlemagne's time. Pre-Gothic churches looked very plain by design.

Romans might not be the most skilled folk at ornamentation, but they were pretty good at engineering.

Medievalfags couldnt even into aqueducts, and they had a surviving example of a working one and still couldn't replicate it. Furthermore sculpting and art were far better in roman antiquity, bath houses and sewer systems were likewise far more advanced than anything in the medieval era. Their roads were still used and people were literally obsessed with learning how to master the techinques of the ancients.

The medieval era has brief and small expressions of excellence in their cathedrals, but overall the Romans built better things in general and spread the wealth around better into public works and such. They basically had far superior planning and city infrastructure and several buildings of such lasting stability that they exist to this day, whereas the medieval era is basically 99% peasant shits in hovels with a pretty church, a nice little palace/keep, some walls, and nothing else.

>Romans might not be the most skilled folk at ornamentation

Did you even see the pic I posted? Can't get more ornamented than that.

Depends on how you define superiority. If we're talking in terms of ornamentation, than the Romans are right up there with Baroque architecture.

When it comes to determining "superiority" of Roman architecture, I think it's more due to the quantity at which they produced buildings. They were a massive empire with the natural resources, labor pool, and funds to build so many buildings that a ton were bound to survive until today. I'm sure that most medieval architects could've built shit just as nice if they had the same access to resources that the Romans did.

How could a building be that tall out of nothing but masonry?

Roman erchitecture was fairly superior up until the 12-13th century, pic related

no

I would say it was superior to the early Middle Ages, but the high and late Middle Ages had great stone castles and marvelous cathedrals.

To be honest though by the fourth century Roman infrastructure was aging and the Roman Empire was in a state of decadence. I would say late Republican and early imperial Roman architecture was superior to late Roman and early Middle Ages architecture.

This is from the 13th century you retarded idiot

so it's medieval

No that's wrong you fucking retarded idiot moron. The medieval period lasted from the fall of Rome to the fall of Constantinople. Fucking mongoloid.

so it fits the definition, as constantinotpe fell in 15th century

is this bait?

Ummmmm, no sweetie, you're wrong

/thread

Retards middle ages refers to 5th to 12th century ad

>middle ages refers to 5th to 12th century
either bait or butthurt romaboo

>proven wrong according to one's own definition, and embarassed in front of everyone
>move goalpost
Every. Fucking. Time.

>implying Gothic architecture doesn't look like shit

Plebs detected.

Yknow there was more to Roman architecture than arches

Amazing brick boxes

>he says while this is what medieval cathedrals looked like

Byzantine architecture>greco-roman for that matter

Fucking pigeons. They were fucking everywhere when I went there. And the dumbass tourists keep giving food to them even though it's not allowed anymore.

fuaaark imagine being a dirty mudfarmer immigrant from the north, having seen nothign but wood huts all your life, and you come into Roman territory and you see this for the first time. it's glorious, and it's built to last forever. would be fuckin nuts.

Looked pretty dope inside my guy

The question isn't could've, but did they

>More to Romans than arches
>Pretty square brick house has arches in it
That pic isn't the best example bud

Domes, arches and columns. That's Greco-Roman architecture in a nutshell. Gothic is arches, pointy towers, spikes and flying buttresses.

where's your medieval aqueducts, sewers, and bathhouses? Where's your man-made medieval rivers and lakes? Where's your Hippodrome or Collesium?

It was more aesthetic.

I just googled it and it says 5th to 15th, just as I remembered from primary school.
Your lack of knowledge disturbes me, user.

My teacher always said the middle ages lasted from roughly 476 AD with the fall of the western roman empire until 1453 with the french victory in the 100 years war and the fall of constantinople

I think that scene out of Gladiator captured the awe perfectly

>Stares in disbelief at the finely carved man-made mountain known as the Coliseum with surrounding sculptures and temples
>Have you ever seen anything like that before?

they both look like crap.

>people like this browse Veeky Forums

Constantinople fell in 1204 you gremlin