Why don't nihilists just kill themselves?

Why don't nihilists just kill themselves?

because true nihilism is a pupal stage that precedes rebirth.

some do, the rest are too stupid to find something to do/rationalize/accept their fluke existence, and/or too attention whorish to end their woe is me shit as early as possible

>Why don't nihilists just kill themselves?

Because killing yourself requires tremendous effort and courage to override survival instincts. In all their edginess, nihilists simply don't have that kind of willpower tbqh

and where would a nihilist, of all people, get willpower from in the first place

Because it's easier not to. Just because I believe existence is meaningless doesn't mean I wish to endure myself the pain of dying any time sooner than when time'll take me. Mostly because there are no ways to do so without suffering more than just staying alive. If there was a national euthanasia association that injects some lethal substance after which you fall asleep and never wake up after a simple signature agreement, the effort would be lower than staying alive in the inertia motion that is life and I'd gladly undergo it. Until then, I'll just wait it out.

Existence is equal to non-existence, neither holds special value, if there was no suffering, I'd have no reason to choose non-existence over existing, but it does, so when the suffering that suicide brings is lower than the suffering existence brings I shall kill myself.

No point.

Nothing exists.

Because of the momentary but primal joy that comes from rustling your raisins by existing.

God will not go easy on you, oh misbelievers, suicide is worse than killing children, but I say unto you, nihilism is even worse because it kills your spiritual self, your hope.

Repent now and admit that you are nothing before God and you know nothing but God, and he will spare you, or else he will not go down easy on you.

He will torment you forever and ever and ever and his rage will never extinghuish.

Why would they?

I think you're confusing your butthurt for god's

Lol, say that to God he will put you in his place

The giant space wizard can kiss my ass desu

how should I do that?

Just going to figure a guess here that life is inherently more valuable when there's no afterlife and as such not killing yourself remains a pretty good option.

It's manchild, the ideology:

>Huur durrhow can I justify fucking random sluts, indulging into my vices such are drugs, eating, being a sloth, being unjust and vicious, beinf full of lust, videogames, anime

>Oooooh now I see, nothing matters!! do whatever the fuck you like, don't think about being a virtuos man willing to help others and being a champion of virtue and an example

>Oh why nothing matters you ask?? Because I say so, that's why!!! xDD

Why would you throw away the only toy you have just because it doesn't have any purpose?

>strawman, the post

Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves-or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth.

When I die, I hope to go to Heaven, whatever the Hell that is.

Ayn Rand

Because then they could no longer spout off their foul, pretentious whining to the rest of us.

Why would they?

Top edge

If life is meaningless, then death is equally meaningless and it's only up to what you personally like best.

Surprise surprise, most people prefer life.

wow she doesn't sound like a drug addled neurotic mental case at all

But if life and death are both equally meaningless, shouldn't nihilists be killing themselves at at 50:50 ratio? And since they don't, doesn't this show that life is the better option than death - in other words you can find meaning in it?

This can't really be your logic? Are you even trying? Have you ever... read a book? Or gone outside?

The point is that people want to live you retard. That's why nihilists don't all kill themselves, or at 50:50 ratios

I love life.
Nihilists shouldn't. Yet they do.

Gee it's almost like an ideologies are mere words disconnected from reality one changes like clothes.

Perhaps for most contemporary ideologies.
But people die for their beliefs all the time. Nihilism just seems contained to teenagers wholly unwilling to.

Sigh... All masterminds in history, politicians and even The pope and cardinal are nihilists

God, this is so cringy

>say that to God he will put you in his place
>he will put you in his place
>put you in his place
>in his place

Confirmed, all Nihilists go to heaven!

Ideology catgirls is my vice pleasure.

Master of the house, doling out the charm
Ready with a handshake and an open palm
Tells a saucy tale, makes a little stir
Customers appreciate a bon-viveur
Glad to do a friend a favor
Doesn't cost me to be nice
But nothing gets you nothing
Everything has got a little price!

suicide is worse than killing children
Thank you for telling me all I needed to know about the perversion you call a worldview

It's true, check out C.S Lewis

Are you retarded?

Because if there is no ultimate meaning then I am free to value and do what I will.
I will thus do what I think is worthwhile: shitposting.

Stop projecting.

Did you read his post man

Daily reminder Nietzcshe was not a nihilist

Because if nothing exists or matters outside of what immediately takes place on this plane of existence one should make the most of it?

Not him but I hate nihilism and degeneracy and blah blah and I know that I'm the worst piece of shit regarding that. Idk how to fix myself

There's no point

but I did

I went to church
said it
and came out fine

but user you are the nihilist

you come here for no purpose
have no name here
and probably won't mind that you will have no influence

if that isn't nihilism I don't know what is

it takes a lot of guts and willpower and also for a whole cascade of emotional mechanisms to break down due to depression, trauma or stress, unless its just acting out on emotional impulse in which case it usualy dosent do the trick and fucks like gthat just repeat ''attempts'' over and over

thats why most people dont kill themselves, nihilists are no exception

in fact people are often more prone to suicide if they are emotionaly motivated by things that could be defined as values, its usualy loss of such value that gets them going for it

also, the values and beliefs we maintain are mostly subconscious, a nihilist might actualy value a ton of shit, he might even be having the time of his life vallowing in all sorts of depressions and anxieties that while torturing him on a conscious level are actualy what his whole organism thinks its reay about and wont stop it even under threat of death

or in other words, you might consider women have no value but your dick sure dosent think so

basicaly, while the conscious mind can percieve and understand the fact shit is meaningless, the body simply goes on with its patterns regardless, and the subconscious dosent know how not to believe shit, other than trough memmory the only way the organism can actualy process reality is trough beliefs, desires and momentary fleeting experiences that are usualy interpreted so as to correspond

so if someone is a convinced nihilist, it means his subconscious clings to the notion of shit being meaningless and without value as if its a meaningfull belief that holds value, probably because ir affirms or reinforces some other more meshed up inner content

so realy, as every organism is propelled trough life by biochemistry of somesort, suicide dosent realy happen untill something breaks down or runs out on that level, othervise the creature just suffers till death

It would make more sense to ask why people who actually believe in an afterlife or a God who wills deeper meaning to the universe don't kill themselves. If I earnestly believed in Heaven, I know I would fling myself against the enemies of God to be killed in combat (without the sin of suicide) like a Viking seeking Valhalla. But I don't, and I'm too busy enjoying my small, animal life to consign myself to oblivion just yet. Life being meaningless doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, it just means you find and define your own meaning instead of putting faith in an uncaring universe. Nothing lying in the hereafter does not deprive the life preceding death of worth, it adds to it.

Like damn how do you even mix the concepts of "inherent meaning" and "desirability" up like that

There's hundreds or thousands of people that overcome that survival instinct every day, you don't hear from them though.

can you cite a bible verse that condemns suicide? i can't find one

because most people are still tethered to some aspect of life thanks to them being born into it. even if you find life insufferable/meaningless/a mistake, once you've experienced it, there are certain parts that you would rather not separate yourself from (love of family/friends, hobbies, the history board on Veeky Forums, etc) even in they don't override the sense of emptiness. of course there are people who reach a state of complete destitution and do call it quits, but I doubt very many people read EM Cioran and kill themselves on the basis that they'd have rather not existed.

no idea if that makes sense, i'm tired.

>It would make more sense to ask why people who actually believe in an afterlife or a God who wills deeper meaning to the universe don't kill themselves

A lot of religions with nice afterlives have anti-suicide provisions. As in, you kill yourself --> auto-ban from paradise.

How do you know you are in a room with a Nihilist? They make sure you know how much they don't care if you know.

No, I'm too busy hating everything and everyone

Its scary to see how many people on this board think nihilism is some emo bitchfest.
has it right
Its a series of enlightened realizations that allow you to mentally free yourself of social constraints, allowing you to pick and choose which ones you will follow (hopefully rationally at that point, but I have seen otherwise).

The majority of this board is just talking about emo teens. A true/successful nihilist has nothing to complain about, so unless they are trying to explain nihilism to you, they probably havent really figured out this whole nihilism thing yet.

Keep reading, I addressed that immediately
>to be killed in combat (without the sin of suicide)

the thing i ask people sometimes is basicaly if there is a god and he created the world and all that story, how the fuck does that give anything any meaning in any way, how is that not ultimately a total absurdity? people dont seem to know how to answer that

God don't real

>g-god will get you

I think if you are willing to accept that there is a divine entity that can consciously create the universe, it's a small leap to assume that said entity has some means of magically giving the world innate meaning that is obscure from mortals. It's not even difficult on a much more logical level to explain WHY it would be obscure to us. The same way a single neuron has no way of comprehending the intricacies or actions of a human being, a single human being simply lacks the capacity to understand the universe as a whole, including whatever meaning God might intend for it to have.

A god doesn't mean your god stupid christcuck. In 2 Kings your god got his ass beat by a Moab god named Chemosh, all after promising victory over the Moab people.

In Judges his blessed got turned back by iron chariots.

Face it, there might be a creator but it sure as fuck ain't yours.

>yours
I'm an atheist you dip, I chose IHVH because he is the most popular deity in the world currently.

What would nihiliophila be?

a really poorly-constructed word

do you mean nihilophilia? I guess that could be one of three things- appreciation for/sexual attraction when thinking about the concept of nothingness, arousal when in a vacuum or a lack of any love or sexual attraction whatsoever (though asexual and aromantic are already terms that encompass that).

or if you mean "nihiliophilia" I guess that would be if nihilists were your fetish

“The absence of the will to live is, alas, not sufficient to make one want to die.” ...

it is irrelevant whether "virtue actually matters" or not, it's just that there is no evidence for rewards in the afterlife; the fact that "something is more valuable" doesn't necessarily influence my preference (here's why i don't have to be a nihilist to embrace vice and shamelessness: i just have to be skeptical about otherworldly retaliation against those who put their tastes above objective value)

if objective value weren't real there wouldn't be much fun in ignoring it

>survival instincts
You're not a nihilist.

MUH FEELIES

we call perversion what we dislike in the hope of impressing people although we know there's no above or below, no norm or deviance in themselves

muh feelies
btw the earth is flat
Yes it does, the only god is God.

I really don't see why people seem to think suicide is the only rational response to nihilism.

Just because you don't think there's any point to your existence, doesn't mean you can't still enjoy yourself.

lol

Death is scary and i feel good living and doing shit for myself

Infinitely this.

I think it comes from putting one's own perspective over thorough consideration of the philosophy.

I mean, for them to say, "nothing has meaning and the universe does not care about humankind," they would have to be in a very dark place because they take meaning and purpose for granted, so they assume anyone who says that must be in a very dark place. It's just that if you don't take those things for granted their absence doesn't affect you or your love of life, and I guess as a bonus you're immune to crises of faith.

They're taking the slow route.

>If I earnestly believed in Heaven, I know I would fling myself against the enemies of God to be killed in combat (without the sin of suicide) like a Viking seeking Valhalla.
wouldn't it still be considered suicide in the eyes of God? technically you aren't taking your own life, but you would be throwing yourself into extreme danger for the purpose of dying first and defeating the enemies of God second. can't fool God that easily.

As a nihilist i prefer to kill everybody and then kill myself.

Most people who commit suicide do so because the alternative is worse, it's equivalent of people jumping out of a burning building, they haven't overcome the survival instinct and what makes them do it is what's left of it.

Unless you think suicidal people are in a healthy state of mind.

Nihilism like many things in tune with the atheist/"le nothing matters" world views are more used as an excuse than a reason.

Anyone who simply studies what we knew about life and world around us 200 years ago, compared to modern findings in philosophy, the concept of space/time, reincarnation, quantum world etc can tell you we're only experiencing a fraction of what 'is' when we proclaim the judgement that it doesn't matter.

You can right now take a blanket, put in over your head and sit in a corner, and say 'nothing exists' and for all it matters, nothing will, if all you wanna do is sit there, but if you want to explore and discover yourself/outside more, then you have to face that there may be an entire world outside.

Meaninglessness is an experience allowed in existence, but that's not what existence itself is.

So the answer is, because neither of them are 100% convinced in their belief.

no, the answer is because its dificult and rare for living human organisms to malfunction to the point of suicide

none of it is in any way about conscious conclusions and philosophical beliefs, the rattional mind has nothing to do with it except facilitate the actions and provide the means to fullfill and realize subconscious states and inclinations just like it does continuously every fucking day

so basicaky you kill yourself when something inside you that you have no conscious controll over decides your gona kill yourself, nihilizim and value systems have nothing to do with it, its about coping mechanisms and mental stamina

Nietzsche was if anything, vehemently against nihilism. He saw it as the great threat to civilization.

only normalfags can kill themselves

But what if, user, what if God...was one of us?

Is there no fucking higher resolution of this anywhere

Because it's not actually possible to be a nihilist OP.

Two types of Nihilism. There's the "Dancing on the ruins of civilization", with which Nihilism is associated with today, and then there's the type mentions, which Nietzche recognises as necessary for the Ubermensch to realize itself.

What, just a slob like one of us??

Fuck off with this awful comic

Do Nihilists necessarily reject subjective meaning?

gud bred

I don't know if my views necessarily reflect those of other people who consider themselves nihilists, but I think it's good to create your own meaning for your existence.

On the other hand, the idea that your existence is part of some overarching "plan" or whatever just seems ridiculous to me, unless you adhere to some sort of religion. It's like some kind of coping mechanism for people who are afraid of their own mortality.

Why?

>talk shit to god
>he makes you god

brb about to do some blasphemous shit.

I feel like the type that "dances on the ruins of civilization" is either an anarachists interpretation of it or a person who didnt get the concept. There arent two types of concept, the concept is the same. Its just whether the person talking about it or applying it i a retard or not.

There's more to it than that. An untermensch fails to acknowledge the lack of meaning to the world around him. The first kind of nihilist, however, is a passive nihilist, and upon realizing the meaninglessness of the world around him still fails to act on it, instead either descending into hedonism or just wallowing in it. Whereas an anarchist generally believes in a cause (i.e. some kind of self-regulated society without any significant governing body), these nihilists "believe in nothing", and view themselves as superior for their supposed awareness of it.

The second kind represents an active type of nihilism; upon realizing nothing matters, this type of nihilist can create a new society free from whatever previous historical, religious, cultural, moral or social ties that could potentially hamper it.