What are your favorite Veeky Forums-related movies made before 1960?

What are your favorite Veeky Forums-related movies made before 1960?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GLGzPDPw8Jw
youtube.com/watch?v=RCkfQFB_AJE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Blossoms
youtube.com/watch?v=RQaSqocJWK8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like Orphans of the Storm about the French revolution. The old westerns with John Wayne are pretty good like Stagecoach. I also like Kurosawa's samurai films. Also Chaplin's films because they're about how the poor are mistreated and that's politically wise /his. territory.

>inb4 muh states rights vs muh traitors debate

It's still a phenomenal movie

Probably not accurate though

The Merry Widow with Maurice Chevalier set in 1885 and in a parody of Austria.

youtube.com/watch?v=GLGzPDPw8Jw

A modern Metropolitan Opera version of the same air.

youtube.com/watch?v=RCkfQFB_AJE

>Intolerance was made partly in response to criticism of Griffith's previous film, The Birth of a Nation (1915), which was criticized by the NAACP and other groups as perpetuating racial stereotypes and glorifying the Ku Klux Klan. It was not, as is commonly implied, an apology for the racism of his earlier film. In numerous interviews, Griffith made clear that the film's title and overriding themes were meant as a response to those who he felt had been intolerant of him in condemning The Birth of a Nation.

>People didn't like that I was calling for mass terrorist violence against a civilian population. That means I am oppressed.

Just how delusional were Dixiefags then?

Newsflash, everyone in their heart thinks they're a poor oppressed little warrior for justice lost in a world of intolerance and hatred.

You do too.

>You do too.

Come to think of it. I did feel a bit of righteous indignation this morning when the grocery store only had salted butter and not the vastly preferable unsalted butter. God damn it, I'm a person too and I deserve unsalted butter!

This and Beau Jest are some of my favorites.

All Quiet on the Western Front from 1930

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

The ultimate classic Veeky Forums movie. Along with The Third Man.

this one was bretty good

Paths of Glory

A WW1 movie based around the disconnect between the soldiers doing the fighting and the higher ups in command tossing soldiers lives into a grind to satisfy their demand to gain a hill.

here to culturally enrich you with old soviet films

"Tractoristi"

"Chapaev"

Ben-Hur (1959)
Seven Samurai (1954)
The Body Snatcher (1945)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Scott of the Antarctic (1948)
A Night to Remember (1958)

Ok it wasn't easy. Looks like the best history movies were made in the 60s. I had to choose many movies that weren't based on a true story. I need to watch more.

This is a really good one

>KKK
>terrorists

One of the best scenes I've ever seen in a movie

Dated effects aside, it's still the best Titanic film

Kinda Veeky Forums related

Griffith wasn't really much of a racist as evidenced by his later films.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Blossoms

Also it was wideheld at that time that the Klan weren't really evil but more like heroes who worked outside of the law. Most southerners were members of the Klan and they even had a parade outside the White House.

Fun fact: the first time that the term "terrorism" was widely used in the United States was specifically to refer to the Klan.

Renoir was great. A shame he never finished A Day in the Country.

youtube.com/watch?v=RQaSqocJWK8

He was more of a clueless idiot than in denial.

The Wilcox (1934)