What would Romans and Greeks think of our current western society?

What would Romans and Greeks think of our current western society?

Greeks would be amazed at how small our debts are.

Those are faggots

Amazed by the west's cultural/linguistic influences around the globe

Utterly amazed by the incredible levels of technology we have achieved.

"So you're telling me these savages have dropped grammatical cases altogether?!".

perplexed, amazed and horrified

You see, a person with their level of knowledge of the world would be bewildered by how far we've come. Unlike many other potential time travelers however they would have the capacity - at least to a point to grasp the basic principles on how our machinery works.

As for society - they would be confused and disapprove a lot of it. However faced with the benefits it provides, I would guess they would cope with it. To be honest they were faced with far worse.

I always assumed that ancient people would be terrified of us and our technologies.

Given a year to prepare, I feel like time traveling to the ancient Roman empire would be pretty enjoyable. If you played your cards right, you could change the direction of the empire. Plus, living in the peak of the Empire (Hadrian-Marcus) wouldn't be too terrible as far as historical periods go.

They would laugh of our democracy.

Their mythology is full of vast changes so they would not be surprised at all. They would be interested in finding out what happened to their civilization.

Greeks would be disgusted we had a democracy where even plebs can vote and even more pissed off we didnt follow greek religions.

Unless of course they were plebs themselves, which they probably would be.

>You're talking me that my legal rights are, at least in theory, absolutely equal to the richest man in the land, or even the ruler himself?

>sex with male kids is now a capital punishment

They should come here and teach us a few things. Banning sex with kids is like banning food.

>*Kicks a kid in the ribs*

"Why did they choose an orange haired clown to be their ruler?"

Technologically, definitely, intellectually, no, they would be disappointed, the majority of the population would be riddled with fools.
>implying fucking kids is banned for the rich and privileged

Germans and Slavs haven't.
Ugro-Finns too.

>>implying fucking kids is banned for the rich and privileged
This hurts, mate. They are banning something that is free.

which polis?

which period of Roman history?

>they would be disappointed, the majority of the population would be riddled with fools.

as if the average pleb was much better

the common peasant, city dweller, proletarian, idle-handed low class peon of today has access to education and commodities above what everyone short of an emperor got back then, and in comparison they smell fucking amazing for being unwashed masses too.

I lol'd

Like other anons have said, a mix of impressed and deeply confused probably. The advances in medicine, and transportation alone would be extremely fascinating to your average dude. I really want to take an ancient Roman to the movies.

>the majority of the population would be riddled with fools.

The majority of basically every population is riddled with fools. I'd probably say our idiots today are still smarter than the average Roman pleb.

Why are they so pasty?

The Roman Army genes.

bamp

I always think they would be confused or scared. Something that was considered scholarly then is common high school or lower education now. Technological advancements would be astounding, mainly things producing light and sound.

is that map based on modern distributions? i noticed it'll increase randomly in certain areas, like parts of britain.

They'd feel right at home in america.

Well, they'd either be legitmately impressed at how we internalized a lot of their institutions and scope of our conquests, or they'd be just flat out disgusted by how weak we are.

Yes, It seems to correlate with Roman frontiers.

>greek
>plebs
Wew

>neither has a shield
>greek using a sword
>metal armor

Roman genes in Sweden and Lithuania, but nearly nothing in North Africa.
There were no large scale migrations of roman colonists so biologically population usually didnt change much, especially considering some lands like Africa or Sicily which were conquered early would have fair amount of roman genes.
Dont know, but in my opinion this would represent perhaps some Celtic, or even earlier Italo-Celtic migrations (notice Galatia).

North Africa was nearly completely depopulated before Arabs moved into the region.

Thats why berber languages still exist?

He's still better than quite a few emperors.

Stupid moron, depopulated of colonists. Leptis Magna for example was completely empty when the Arabs arrived, they didn't even bother using it.

Once they get past the initial shock of streetlights turning night into day, grocery stores having tons of food, and cars going a days journey in a couple hours, they'd probably think we're all spoiled children and laugh at us for being in general squeamish and cowardly compared to them.

You are the stupid one here.
Asia minor had much fewer colonists, established greek population, turkish invasion and somehow "roman genes" survived.
And those roman genes in fucking Ireland, Baltics and Belaruse further prove your point.
And as fucking cherry on top Spain has less "roman genes" than a fucking southern Scotland

Okay, just ignore what I posted you fallacious piece of excrement.

Do you really believe that whole region was depopulated?
That peasant every single peasant boarded on ship and went on their way to constantinople leaving no trace behind them?
I should have presumed that you are dumb when you posted that map.

>weak
Most burgers can buy a weapon that could take out the best men of the Roman Army with only a day's training.
Others with more money could buy weapons that would decimate the army. For example, a tank with its weaponry disabled. Even a disabled tank makes an elephant look like a kitten (fatality-wise).

If you want to compare soldiers to soliders, even the best Roman soldiers wouldn't have much of a chance against an above average soldier in any military that invests in hand-to-hand combat.
Do you mean mental strength? Did you fall for the 'muh honour' meme? As if a people that offered their criminals to wild animals had any relevant sense of 'honour'.

>That peasant every single peasant boarded on ship
Are you getting mad? You sound quite illiterate when you're angry. Just go check the history of Leptis Magna, it was literally empty and the last people there were Greeks from the Byzantine Empire.

In your world though, it is okay for Romans, to say, am, all leave Britain, but they must stay permanently in a shitty desert coastline in North Africa?

> implying that Romans mass emigrated to North Africa to begin with.

The whole point is your retarded outdated understanding of genetics.
Does you dumb mind understand that large majority of population was rural and that Leptis is not only city in north Africa.

>and the last people there were Greeks from the Byzantine Empire.
Why would there be greeks besides soliders and traders, that part was latin since last punic war

>In your world though, it is okay for Romans, to say, am, all leave Britain, but they must stay permanently in a shitty desert coastline in North Africa?
And this takes the cake, Tunisia was breadbasket of WRE, while England was isolated province, but of course you dont know that, as pretty much you dont know anything that you write about.

>Does you dumb mind understand
You just tried to call me dumb, but somehow fucked up the grammar, please stop embarrassing yourself.

And please you colossal retard explain why is there nearly no influence in Sicily and southern Italy, while supposedly roman fucked their way through baltic sea

So you cant explain?
Well at least you can write about grammar.

>Go to Italian/Greek forums.
>Chat with Italians living in Rome and Greeks.
That wasn't hard.

>Chat with Italians living in Rome and Greeks.
Are they parasites?

>weak

We are taller and stronger than them

I'm not super tall myself, but to a Roman, I would be the biggest baddest looking German they've ever seen.

They aren't used to getting shot by cops.

Hoplites had swords you retard.

>autism
Weak doesn't just mean lacking in physical strength morons. All the power in the world is useless if you're not willing to use it.

They would be amazed by our technology.

A single one? If they appeared as a state out of thin air? If they could communicate with us?
All these things would affect their reactions.

>What would Romans and Greeks think of our current western society?

>being this triggered
goalposts. moving.

Why don't you have a seat over there

I wonder what they'd think about the way we wage warfare now? Its been completely revolutionized since way back when. Maybe they'll think its a cowardly way of fighting or maybe they'll be genuinely impressed by our death machines.
I mean sure they had an abundance of weapons of war and a few mechanical ones. But we've been Slowly through time been becoming accustomed to the new ways of war slowly. Maybe they'll think we ruined all the fun

>Implying Mr. Hansen wouldn't be the first one enjoying cute boys asses if he would have the chance.

autistic belly of slavedom & easily conquered, & proceed to conquer, be conquered

They'd probably be fucking astounded that they are considered the foundations of the world, and that all these people across the world continue to live in the paradigm they created.

>Most burgers can buy a weapon that could take out the best men of the Roman Army with only a day's training.

They would probably view that as cowardly.

>If you want to compare soldiers to soliders, even the best Roman soldiers wouldn't have much of a chance against an above average soldier in any military that invests in hand-to-hand combat.

I disagree with this desu, a soldier might have basic training in hand to hand combat but a legionary who has fought in the legion for years would have years of close quarter combat experience.

No you wouldn't.

You think you're stronger than a thicc Roman sausage soldier? Try carrying around all that kit on marches over hundreds of miles and see if you're as strong as a legionary.

kill yourself cuck

Just imagine the butcheries in wars where you can't kill your enemy at distance, but with your bare hands or a sword.

Simultaneously amazed and disgusted at our willingness to let barbarians into our opulent countries (see migrant crisis). Sad to at how much of their own cultures are left.

>and scope of our conquests,
In America where the diseases did most of the work or Africa where they still threw spears?

le drumpf :-DDD

Noble Greeks and Romans will think the same things about our current western civilization as neurotic adolescents living in their parents basements and shit posting on /pol 2.0/. What a weird coincidence...

>muh krav maga training
>implying any amount of "training" can make up for men who regularly killed others with their bare hands
jesus christ dude check your autism

Greeks and Romans didn't know what the West was

You're saying their thinking is mainly backwards and we should only take the best of what they taught???

>still riding the trump train

They would view it as cowardly as bullets either go through their armor, bit an exposed area, or hit them like a truck.

Soldiers trained in hand-to-hand combat by a military that specialize in that sort of thing will have lots of experience, and that experience will be with soldiers trained at least as well as them.
They regularly killed barbarians with their bare hands, maybe. You do realize that techniques have changed in the last few hundred years, right?
At most, you can argue that they will be reluctant to deadly force.

>Yes, It seems to correlate with Roman frontiers.
No, it doesn't. Not at all.

sas

>There's no breaks on this train

"where does all this food come from?"

"why are there so many people?"

"where are the gods?"

Yo, were is the exhaust pipe? Is this thing running on green energy? Are you gay?

Its running on American Greatness
>are you gay?
Why?

he'd probably assume you were one of the gods and this was Elysium desu

Why does he label every inch of the cartoon? It's already painfully heavy-handed as it is.

Germans and Anglos pushing for immigration in Europe are barbarians themselves though.

They would be surprised on what the Jews have done to our culture.

This.

>Romans in Scotland, Ireland and anywhere beyond Germany
>no Roman genes in the Balkans, Anatolia, the Middle East and Africa
yeah okay

That artwork is fucking horrendous