What was the point of switching from BC/AD to BCE/CE if jesus's birth is still year one?

What was the point of switching from BC/AD to BCE/CE if jesus's birth is still year one?

Political correctness.

Only fags use BCE and CE, and most mainstream scholars still can't be bothered to use them.

personally i go from -753 as year zero, founding of rome

This. Ad Urbe Condita is the only proper dating system for trve Romans.

>off by 1

>1 AUC (ab urbe condita) = 753 BC
>750 AUC = 4 BC (Death of Herod the Great)
>754 AUC = 1 AD
>759 AUC = 6 AD (Quirinius becomes governor of Syria)
>1000 AUC = 247 AD
>1500 AUC = 747 AD
>2000 AUC = 1247 AD
>2206 AUC = 1453 AD (Fall of Constantinople)
>2245 AUC = 1492 AD
>2529 AUC = 1776 AD
>2753 AUC = 2000 AD
>2770 AUC = 2017 AD

Why don't we just count time linearly from the beginning of the universe?

honestly an even more honourable system would be french deci time counting backwards to the explosion of thera

pathetic attempt at political correctness

though it's no better in my country(east euro- former commie) "before our era" is used officially, though most people colloquially use "before our era" and "before christ" interchangeably

commie aethiest distanced regards from orthodox church makes massical sense

20 17 sounds better than 60 17

Mary Beard's SPQR does this and more PC bullshit
Constantly referring to Anatolia as 'modern Turkey', whinging about muh plebs etc

>base calendar off believed year Jesus was born
>off by 4
Whose fuck up was this?

Because Jesus wasn't actually born in what we call 1 AD, but in 3 BC.

I thought it was 6 BC. Nobody seems to know for sure.

just academics trying to make things secular. on one hand i appreciate the trend towards secularism, on the other hand the calendar is still based on the death of jesus so it doesnt actually change anything just makes academics feel nice; so yeah its pretty fucking gay though the thought was cres

Fedoras crying about their non-existent oppression.

>referring to Anatolia as 'modern Turkey'
Because most people have no fucking clue where Anatolia, Galatea or Pontus are you retarded Kurd fuck.

why not count from the first Olympics? Or Alexanders' birth?

No one knows or cares where Turkey is either you cockroach. May as well use the classical names to keep in with the Roman theme.

Easiest way to tell a pleb from someone who has actually studied history is if they bitch about AD/CE.

Looks like I hit the nail right on the head. Don't you have an airstrike to be hit by?