Has the Catholic church changed throughout the eons?

Has the Catholic church changed throughout the eons?

They say frequently "as the Catholic church has always taught" but somethings have clearly changed.

>slavery okay so long as you treat slaves well
>nvm slavery has always been a moral evil
>usury is evil
>leftover church funds collect interest and vatican has been caught with its pants down on many shady money deals
>first bishops all martyred lived ascetic life's with confession done aloud and to the congregation
>first popes lived lavishly, confession changed to one on one during medieval era

It kind of just goes on and on. Im a Catholic and don't wish to cause scandal within the church but I have a hard time buying this "development of doctrine". Many are just straight up 180's.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence
nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html
sojo.net/articles/vatican-considers-rescinding-doctrine-discovery-response-request-indigenous-leaders
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

No, it was always just liars and hypocrites. It's the public opinion that changed - can't have it all out now. But if only it was legal, church would encourage to kill infidels.

>Early Biblical patriarchs had multiple wives and married their first cousins or even their sisters
>Ban concubinage and decide that consanguinity is grounds divorce, even though Jesus said nothing about it
>Selectively apply this consanguinity divorce clause for certain nobles in exchange for favors and large donations

False equivalency. No one is condoning that

Just become Protestant

Indulgence
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence

I don't buy sola fide tho and most proddy denoms are terrible.

Orthodox seems pretty up my alley but some of their theology differs from how i understand tye trinity

I dont see how this relates

Here ya go
nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html

>>Early Biblical patriarchs had multiple wives and married their first cousins or even their sisters
None of the patriarchs had incest, and Isaac had one wife

Also, Jacob would have had one wife but he wasn't allowed to marry the woman he wanted unless he married her sister too

>I don't buy sola fide
Why?

Interesting .

Are you arguing for or against my point though. I don't follow

sojo.net/articles/vatican-considers-rescinding-doctrine-discovery-response-request-indigenous-leaders

Try high Anglican. It's Catholic-lite

The church has changed a lot throughout the ages.

For instance, back in the day the Papacy would condemn attacks by Muslims against Christians. Today, they encourage it.

Jesus said to love thy neighbor and to do into others as you would have done onto you.

Taking in refugees of 6 year civil war would have been something he advocated for.

Not him, but 2 reasons
1: Sola fide leaves you with a majority of Christians who approach their religion as mere acceptance of doctrinal points. Basically, if you believe in the nicene creed, bam, you're a Christian. No need to actually put your faith to any use, which leads me to
2: jesus preached against this quite a bit. He castigated the pharisees for having empty obedience to the law without actually doing anything good. He also said "not all who come to me saying 'lord, lord' shall enter the kingdom, but only those who have done the work of my father here on earth". Faith don't mean shit if you're not out there producing good fruit.

Check these predestined integers, reprobates.

>Sola fide leaves you with a majority of Christians who approach their religion as mere acceptance of doctrinal points. Basically, if you believe in the nicene creed, bam, you're a Christian. No need to actually put your faith to any use
Not if you actually know what sola fide is
>Faith don't mean shit if you're not out there producing good fruit.
True faith always produces good fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit

Sola fide dictates that faith ALONE saves. Works are simply a sign you have the true faith

Problem? This statement inadvitably mean that you still need good works as it is part of faith

Thus the only way to actually say sola fide without this problem is Calvinism

But this means you contradicted all the early Christians

The true Christian congregation is “a pillar and support of the truth.” (1 Timothy 3:15)

They keep out of the congregation ‘false prophets, false teachers, and destructive sects.’ (2 Peter 2:1)

Of course the Church has changed. The Papacy is so neutered the Pope kisses the feet of muslims.

ITT it's another "christians realizing contradictions" thread

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. (Matthew 7:6)

So that means this pillar is a community. Then where are they in the first three hundred years of christian?

Was Cornelius a born again christian?

Is Polycarp?

The irony is that even the innocent Christian woman looks pretty slutty by the standards of not too long ago.

Any more input on this? Ill probably stay catholic but these changes become so obvious once you get into church history.

You have read the Bible right? You know Sarah is Abraham's sister? And what about Lot fucking his daughters? Nice fucking bait you faggot.

Its just the other side of the coin of the "former atheist realizing athiesm is illogical"

>I'm catholic
>post Quran
Nice shitpost.

Called a meme my dude

Malaysian please go back to /pol/

>According to the scholars mentioned above, the patriarchs of Israel are the key to understanding how the priestly laws concerning incest developed. Kinship marriages amongst the patriarchs includes Abraham's marriage to his half-sisterSarai;[Gen.20:11,12]the marriage of Abraham's brother, Nahor, to their nieceMilcah;[Gen.11:27–29]Isaac's marriage to Rebekah, his first cousin once removed;[Gen.27:42–43;29:10]Jacob's marriages with two sisters who are his first cousins;[Gen.29:10,Ch.29]and, in the instance of Moses's parents, a marriage between nephew and aunt (father's sister).[Exod.6:20]Therefore, the patriarchal marriages surely mattered to lawgivers and they suggest a narrative basis for the laws ofLeviticus, chapters 18 and 20.[15]

Loser cant answer my point

in what world is Syria neighboring Germany or any western European country?

yeah I was going to say she looks like a hooker