I'm doing an essay on the factors that caused the ultimate decline of the Roman republic and need a hand finding good...

I'm doing an essay on the factors that caused the ultimate decline of the Roman republic and need a hand finding good sources and subjects to cover. So far I have chosen two subjects to cover: Economic and social unrest and the military. What others should I cover, and is Plutarch's fall of the roman republic a accurate source?

Birth rates. The Romans lost theirs much like other more modern civilizations.

There is considerable evidence to show that Roman society in the late Republic and early Empire was afflicted by a low birth-rate. Augustus in 18 B.C. found it necessary to pass the "lex Iulia de maritandis ordinibus" in the hope of raising the birth-rate by
penalizing the unmarried and the childless.

In 9 A.D. he attempted to supplement this law with the "lex Papia Poppaea". The very existence of this legislation indicates that the problem of childlessness was widespread and long-Iasting.

Frankly, Romans stopped getting married and having kids pretty much en masse across the Empire.

These provisions didn't work of course but it shows the lengths rulers were willing to go to in order to attempt to halt the decline.

thanks for help bud, got any others that would be good to cover?

will dump some roman pics while I wait.

The violence and disrespect for a rule by law that Rome's conservatives had initiated in the days of the Gracchi brothers, Tiberius and Gaius

But then what caused Romans to stop getting married and having children?

If you're looking for sources try livius.org. they have plutarch, appian and the full text of Caesar's gallic wars can be found there too.

Too enamored with boipucci.

Thank you my dudes.

But wasn't pedastry just a thing among the upper class.

the 'republic' was an aristocracy you idiot, which then became an empire through the caesars. look up Socrates' ideal form of government and you'll realize that it was supposed to happen your whole project is a pile of garbage
>decline

Considérations sur les causes de la grandeur des Romains et de leur décadence - Montesquieu

(For english : "Considerations on the Causes of the Greatness of the Romans and their Decline")

"Discuss the problems which combined to bring about the collapse of the Roman
Republic in 27BCE."
that's the essay question the course gave us take your grievances up with them

It was just Sulla shitting everythug up and then Pompey and Caesar shitting everything up even more while the senate just let it happen

do you mean the Roman Empire? Economic, social unrest, birth rates etc. had nothing to do with the fall of the republic.

Republic ended because of a set of political conflicts between people like Caesar, Pompey, Octavian and Mark Anthony.

You can't understand the Roman Republic without a basic understanding of class conflict. No, I'm not talking about Marx, who had reductionist to the point of idiocy notions about class; I'm going to use the term the way Machaivelli did, a class being a set of people who have identical social and economic interests.

Rome's Republic worked as well as it did because you had a number of different classes, all of whom were more or less necessary to work together in order to keep their enemies at bay and stay safe. You had the richer Patrician families, but a small cavalry force isn't enough to defend the city. Similarly, the urben plebiscate couldn't organize and often couldn't arm itself to the standards necessary for then contemporary warfare, the more rural surrounding population was relatively scattered, the colonies of dubious reliability, etc. They developed a kind of panopticon system, which managed to keep together by everyone watching everyone else, and occasionally shuffling rights and priveleges as needed to keep to a balance that everyone could work with.

Then Gaius Marius came along. And for reasons that were necessary at the time, he reformed the Republic's army into a standing, professional force, supplied by the state, but at need, able to sustain itself by plundering the locale, since it was small but tough as balls. This created a new class; the professional soldier, and unlike the previous class conflicts of the Republic, you couldn't shift things around to keep the balance of power intact; once mustered, the army as a unit could not be opposed, and could only begin to be opposed by other segments of the army. Almost inevitably, army chiefs became the real powers of the Republic, as the Senate got more and more impotent.

You wouldn't really see large scale employment of something similar to the Legions (that is, a wholly standing, professional force, more or less divorced from the civilian state) for a long, long time.

>the factors that caused the ultimate decline of the Roman republic

Back in the early republican period people had to keep in line or else all their neighbors would fuck them over

plebeians had to take the bullshit class system because if they didn't their neighbors would fuck them over
patricians had to conserve their fetishes because if they didn't their neighbors would fuck them over
army had to follow orders and obey the senate because if they didn't their neighbors would fuck them over

after punic wars there was no fear of neighbors fucking them over so they can fuck around all they want. This broke everything down.

What are your 3 main factors OP? And how many words is your essay?

I think in order of importance its probably

1. The Marian reforms and subsequent loyalty to single generals
2. Over population and its resultant mass poverty in Rome leading to the plebs having real political power to support people like Caesar
3. The system of government was completely outdated, designed for a small republic not an international empire, and was easily corruptible and subverted

The order of its fall is actually 3 > 2 > 1

i would argue the primacy the decline of silver within the denarii, thus weakening its foundational backbone of loyal blooded soldiers to the preying mercenary armies coinciding and directly proportionally causative of one another spiralling into central governments decline.

look at the content of silver in the coins minted post about varus' legion debackle, all goes to shit and runs from mine to mine after that, empire spills into the winds

mffw america thinks its the standards continuation fucking shithole

I was going to cover the Marian reforms, the triumvirates, and the over population in cities. It's only 1500 words I'm gotten most the research and a rough draft of notes done just need to put it into words properly.

Thats actually exactly what Marx meant by class.
To Marx, a class is those who share common economic and social interests.

Rest of the post is pretty legit.

As OP I´d start with the Social War the end of the Social system. Sulla´s dictate and his proscription lists are a strong tip aswell imo. Plutarch wrote about sulla as far as i can remember.

>To Marx, a class is those who share common economic and social interests.

You can't have both that and his groupings of class by relationship to ownership of capital. Putting an Ivy-league educated, making millions a year neurosurgeon into the same class as a seasonally employed and constantly broke construction laborer is ridiculous, as they do not have the same sorts of priorities over a socioeconomic level.; at least in modern society, income, however it's derived, is far more of equal interest to other levels of similar income. He also would not consider professional soldiers a separate class of their own, just part of the proletariat if they're employed and armed by a state or a similar organization, and part of the bourgeoisie if they're in for business for themselves as some sort of mercenary outfit.

what are some books that I can get to learn about these factors?

why does his nose look like an ass?

Well collapse of Republican Roman values caused by mass economic enrichment of upper classes through warfare and conquest, which led to buying up of small farm lands that supported average roman family by newly risen upper classes of nobiles which then replaced farmers with massive slave force that cultivated goods for luxury purpose en mass over grain which was imported from Egypt.

Social.Focus on the murder of Publius Clodius. Cicero vs Sulla in the courts of Rome.

Wow you're going to write an incredibly generic essay mourning the death of a disgusting and degenerate empire!

Didn't their pension system have a lot to do with it? I remember reading that they were far to generous with their benefits.

le degenerate meme means stop studying history lmao XDDD

pay attention to muh WORLD WAR TWOOO INSTEAD ECKS DEE 1488 HITLER DID LE NOTHING LE WRONG OMG STALINGRAD OMG

Romaboos also love WWII you dope.

You're a good few decades behind in your scholarship user. The Augustan reforms had nothing to do with solving an actual birth decline. It was about making his reign be perceived as a time of renewal and going back to the "good old days" of old Roman morality. Plus, it didn't impact anyone other than the 0.5% of the population who made up the aristocracy.

Your post is made up of pure horseshit. I just wanted you to know this.

Roman laws should never be read as intended to solve an actual problem, they are about perception only. e.g. Theodosius' edicta against the pagan temples.