When do you think is the right age to take children to see their first live ballet?

When do you think is the right age to take children to see their first live ballet?

My aunt wants me to take my 4 year old cousin to see a local troupe put on Cinderella but I don't know if she's old enough or not. She does perfectly at movie theaters, knows the basic Cinderella story although she's not enamored with it like other fairy tales, and the show is 90 minutes (45 each act) with mostly teen and child dancers, so not one of the longer traditional ballets.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rU5eVaBefvw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is Veeky Forums go to /pol/ to tell you're life story

Watch some excerpts from the Nutcracker with her on YouTube (make sure to include the dance of the sugar plum fairy) to get her reaction, ask her if she would like to see one live, and explain that it is long.

Veeky Forums includes humanities, son

Ballet is not "the humanities" you ponce, it's "the arts".

This isn't your blog you fucking queer. Take it to /adv/.

>Ballet is not "the humanities" you ponce, it's "the arts".

Ballet is a performing art, and performing arts are considered humanities. There have been multiple ballet threads on Veeky Forums before with no problem. Obviously you have nothing to contribute to this thread, so why bother posting in int?

If she's fine seeing a movie she should be fine for two 45 minute ballet sessions, as long as she understands that there isn't any talking. I would try to watch something on Youtube first so she gets the idea of how the story is told through gesture and dance, maybe check out London Children's Ballet as they have a bunch of shorter children's shows uploaded. If you can, find out what version of the story the company is doing, and go over the plot multiple times in the days leading up to the show.

4 is a bit early. When my wife did ballet, I would sometimes bring my niece to shows and it never went well. My niece was 9 the first time, so 4 must be even worse.
This was a 'child/teen' ballet troupe, too, as you put it. The atmosphere at a ballet theater and a movie theater are totally different, because a movie appeals to many more senses and is more direct. That enamors young children, while they might just find ballet boring.
As others have said, sit down with her and watch a recording, and see if she can sit mostly still the entire time. If not, you'll just be damaging the atmosphere for others.

Veeky Forums - Child rearing advice

Veeky Forums - history and humanities

If people can ask for advice on history degrees and family history and religious advice and how to get kids into history, they can ask about when taking a child to see a humanities related subject is appropriate

Veeky Forums - whatever i feel like talking about

It was a mistake not to have a more general OP but we have the occasional ballet thread and the content is decent. The classical/art music/ orchestral & chamber etc threads on Veeky Forums are plebby as fuck though. Absolute cancer.

>Anything under 10
>Taking it to highbrow live performances
Please delet yourself.

You sure are fucking stupid. I've seen multiple ballet threads on Veeky Forums (which is also probably the only place on Veeky Forums where you can talk about this art form, with the possible exception of those dead /classical/ threads on /mu/) and literally nobody complained.

>4 year old
>45 each act
I would be worried she will get bored and not like it, depends on how interested she is in it and whether a 4 year old can understand what is going on

Let's make this a general ballet thread.

Did anyone go see the Hamburg Ballet perform Neumeier's The Little Mermaid in DC?

youtube.com/watch?v=rU5eVaBefvw

I saw the San Francisco ballet production years ago and have the DVD. I was going to try to make it to see how the Hamburg production compared but I decided to save up to see ABT's Romeo and Juliet in Detroit next year instead. I'm curious to see whether or not there's another Misty Copeland scandal/fiasco like there was last year for The Sleeping Beauty in Detroit.

take her when she's older

she won't give a fuck or know what's going on

This. If it was a story she was really, really interested in I would say give it a shot. But since it sounds more like her mom is pushing for it rather than the 4 year old wanting to see it, I wouldn't bother.

>She does perfectly at movie theaters
If you think she has enough interest and will sit still then do it.

This, show her videos of it and gauge her reaction to it. If she's interested, go for it! Younger kids (if they're good enough at sitting through them) absolutely love live performances. And it's exposing them to really fun and interesting art. :)

I've only ever seen the nutcracker, and that was as a lad of eight at my city's concert theater hall

>I'm curious to see whether or not there's another Misty Copeland scandal/fiasco like there was last year for The Sleeping Beauty in Detroit.

Sounds like they're trying to avoid that by already confirming that she will be performing for 2 out of the 4 performances in a specific role. I wonder if they're going to ask the company to confirm the cast lists before individual date tickets go on sale this fall.

who took you to the Nutcracker as a lad?

Parents of course, with sis' in tow

/pol/ doesn't mean anything you don't like dipshit. That's /b/