What is the history of tipping, where does it arise from? I don't want to presume the whites made it up...

what is the history of tipping, where does it arise from? I don't want to presume the whites made it up, but heuristically that is my hunch.

It's big in america stemming from the fact that the US, especially during the 50's, were so rich that tipping was something that every family could do.

>bill comes with recommended tip values and open "tip" field, expected to be filled by the customer

is this real
are businesses in america actually this fucking shameless

I've never see it. It's the businesses decision

Well they have pretty big lobbies to keep wages low and the sycophantic workers supporting it.

Cringe thread?

I read once a long time ago that in roman restaurants you could drop a tip into a jar at the beginning of the meal to be served faster. Sounds like pop history though.

It's because we burgers can't do math in our heads.

I wonder who would come up with something like this

In America tipping servers for restaurants is not voluntary, it is mandatory.
Of course, its not legally binding, so you could never tip if you wanted, but 95% of people will think youre a piece of shit.
Servers make far less than minimum wage because USA law allows tipped workers to be payed less. It obviously doesnt make sense since it means that hospitality businesses basically get away with paying their workers half wages, while the rest of their wages comes out of the consumer's pocket. Alas, thats how its done.
Anyways, point is that its more that tipping is an addition to your bill in America, whereas in most other places you only tip if you think actual want to reward your server. Even a total ass waiter makes guaranteed tips.

>work at a restaurant
>constantly meet people who think servers get paid like $9 an hour plus tips
>servers at my restaurant make $2.13
>everytime I tell someone they call me a liar
Working in a restaurant sucks

Why would you willingly work at a place that underpays workers? Retail and fast food joints suck, but at least they pay actual wages.

I have literally never seen anyone give a tip in my life.

Everybody knows waitstaff get paid poorly. They just don't think it's fair that they should have to compensate for your employer's decision to pay you poorly and your decision to accept it.

>hospitality businesses basically get away with paying their workers half wages, while the rest of their wages comes out of the consumer's pocket.

The wage will always comes out of the consumers pocket one way or another.

>Server from 15 - 25 yr
>$2+tip
>Made $100-$200 tips in 6 hour shift in a 30 table mom and pop
>girls made 200-300

You're definitely doing something wrong.

If i recall it was a measure used by business's to get away with paying their workers less after the great depression, can't imagine why it'd stick around though, in Britain we don't tip, but as far as i can tell in america it's an optional part of your wage, and that's fucking bullshit.

Pretty much this. It became commonplace as a means for employers to pay their workers less during the Great Depression. Nowadays, people still do it because it's expected, which is fucking bullshit. If any other industry decided to operate on the same model, people wouldn't riot.

>they just don't think it's fair that they should have to pay the ammount required for the employees of a business to have minimum wage
Look dude, i get where you're coming from, but the price of the meal+tip (in america) is the equivilent to the price of the meal virtually anywhere else, givig yourself a discount at the expense of the employee who got it for you is completely unethical.

I don't think it's a good idea to generalize a very diverse nation of nearly 350 million people. In my town, there are mixed feelings. My whole family, on paternal and maternal sides, have never felt the need to tip, except to reward. My best friend believes that tipping is mandatory. I would never personally tip a total ass waiter, I don't care about their wages.

>I don't care about their wages.
Well then you're completely unethical, if we asa society have decided that everybody can't be paid below a certain level then it's not within my rihts to deny someone their right to be paid at that level because they didn't smile enough and dropped a fork.

They make below minimum wage+tips
If they don't receive enough tips to reach and equivalent amount of minimum wage then the employer has to pay them the rest.

Not that guy, but we "as a society" haven't decided on anything. The federal government sets a price floor for labor at $7.25, the average person has no say in this.

We live in a democracy, if the public is against the minimum wage, if the desire is high enough larger parties must change in order to meet the desires of the elctrate or face supplantation from those who do, unless you don't vote in which case why are you even living in a democracy.