How did tomato...

How did tomato, a relatively new commodity brought from New World become so iconic in Italian and generally Mediterranean cuisine? Also what did Italian cuisine look like before tomatoes?

Cus it's tasty as fuck

Make lasagne without tomatoes and you'll see.

My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so … yeah".

Tomatoes are really only ubiquitous in southern Italian cuisine.

Q: What did the papa tomato say to the baby tomato?
A: “Hurry and ketchup!”

Q: Why did the tomato go out with a prune?
A: Because he couldn’t find a date.

Q: How do you fix a sliced tomato?
A: Use tomato paste.

Q. Why did the tomato blush?
A. Because he saw the salad dressing.

Q: What did the macaroni say to the tomato?
A: “Don’t get saucy with me!”

Q. What’s the difference between knowledge and wisdom?
A. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Q. How do you get rid of unproductive tomatoes?
A. Can them.

Q: Does Santa like to grow tomatoes?
A: YES -- he gets to hoe, hoe, hoe!

Q: What is red and goes up and down?
A: A tomato in an elevator.

Q: Why did Mrs. Tomato turn red?
A: She saw Mr. Green Pea over the back fence.

Q. Why is a tomato round and red?
A. Because if it was long, skinny, and green, it would be a bean.

Q. How life is like ketchup?
A. Like ketchup, good things in life come slow and are worth waiting for.

Ay I tell you'a why the Italianos lovea da tomato and Margarete sauce all over their food Capiche.

Tomatoes are truly delicious. Every one is unique--but I don't mean that in the obvious way. I mean that every tomato has its own consistency of flavors, its own textures. The varieties of tomatoes are seemingly endless.

the first tomatoes to make it to Europe were brought by the Spanish Conquistadors from South America (Peru, specifically) in the early to mid-sixteenth century. The fruit was called “tomatl.”

The first written account of a tomato in Italy dates to 1548 and it was in Tuscany. In that account, the fruit, incorrectly aligned with the eggplant.

the word “tomato” has become synonymous with Italy. This is likely the result of the incredible emigration of Italians to the New World in the late 1800s and early 1900s. At that time, particularly in New York, Italian Americans yearned for the dishes of the Old World. Mass canning began, as did the international distribution of peeled tomatoes. Although tomatoes are originally from South America, they didn’t make their way to North America for quite some time. It was actually via Europe that they did! Some historians thank Thomas Jefferson for bringing tomato seeds back from a sojourn in Paris.

So you know badda boom badda bing.

How did potato, a relatively new commodity brought from New World become so iconic in Irish and generally North European cuisine? Also what did Irish cuisine look like before potatoes?

I don't know about the Irish, but Nordic countries used turnips before potatoes became common.

Tomatoes are popular in the Mediterranean because they grow well in a Mediterranean climate. See also California.

> Also what did Irish cuisine look like before potatoes?

Long pork&snake meat.

These are worse than the holocaust.

Well, yeah. They exist.

Fucking walked right into that one

Can you make those or new ones about traffic cones? I need jokes about traffic cones for... reasons.

Thawed bananas are mushy and disgusting. Were you dissapointed? Or is this yet another thread in your web of lies?

Underrated

thanks, that was interesting.. shame no one cared.
before the potato they had a lot of different food, they starved because it became their only crop because it needs less work and yields more for the size of land it requires to grow. then conditions weren't right and no one grew anything but potatoes so they starved.

Because westerners are filthy globalists who can't even grow their food in their own backyard

Why has this seemingly innocuous question garnished so much shitposting, is it just because the answer's obvious or am I missing something?

Veeky Forums is just trash.

they just grow better there

Because while those tomatoes were reproduced synthetically, with only the memories of the sweet flavor from the New World original, if we keep repeating the process, they will eventually become the real thing.

Is there anything savory that doesn't go well with tomato?

Spain liked it and took it back to Europe. Naples, Sardinia, and Sicily were Spanish-held at the time and it took off there; Southern Italian cuisine uses far more tomato than Northern Italian.

>The recorded history of tomatoes in Italy dates back to 31 October 1548 when the house steward of Cosimo de' Medici, the grand duke of Tuscany, wrote to the Medici private secretary informing him that the basket of tomatoes sent from the grand duke's Florentine estate at Torre del Gallo "had arrived safely". Tomatoes were grown mainly as ornamentals early on after their arrival in Italy. For example, the Florentine aristocrat Giovanvettorio Soderini wrote how they "were to be sought only for their beauty", and were grown only in gardens or flower beds. The tomato's ability to mutate and create new and different varieties helped contribute to its success and spread throughout Italy. However, even in areas where the climate supported growing tomatoes, their habit of growing to the ground suggested low status. They were not adopted as a staple of the peasant population because they were not as filling as other fruits already available. Additionally, both toxic and inedible varieties discouraged many people from attempting to consume or prepare any other varieties.[28] In certain areas of Italy, such as Florence, the fruit was used solely as a tabletop decoration, unti; it was incorporated into the local cuisine in the late 17th or early 18th century. The earliest discovered cookbook with tomato recipes was published in Naples in 1692, though the author had apparently obtained these recipes from Spanish sources.

T. Mitch Hedberg

red means where the hell did you get that banana at

Actually its more of an Italian American thing

How is globalism a bad thing. You realize that posting on a worldwide imageboard IS globalism right?

>globalism, where there are no borders, culture, or ethnicities, where money rules in a one world government is the same thing as communicating on a Transoxiana pottery glazing website

Nice strawman.

You need to be a weeaboo to post in Veeky Forums.

>How is globalism a bad thing. You realize that posting on a worldwide imageboard IS globalism right?
Have you seen the quality of the this board and the more 'global' boards with a fuck ton of users, like /v/, /b/, /s4s/ and /pol/?

The fact that Veeky Forums is inherently globalist is a cogent argument against globalism.

all the popular and most diverse boards (/b/, /v/, /pol/, /int/) are the equivalent of third world shitholes

all the boards populated by virgin white anime kids have quality discussion