Did people go on dates in ancient times?

Did people go on dates in ancient times?

No.

Well, not necessarily no.

In feudal villages, peasants who had nothing to gain could marry freely. That could entail courtship which incorporate features of dating.

Dating is essentially an animalistic trait where you demonstrate virtue and gift giving to a mate.

definitely a no
there were no "seeing" each other period apart from private talks maybe
if you were interested that meant youll marry, and contact the family

you know there was a thing called dowry, you wouldnt want your daughter marry someone with absolutely nothing

Yes, unless you were part of the aristocracy in which case there were dowries and arranged marriages for the sake of political alliances and all that.

yes girls on date in the field or the forest so that they get a few orgasms with whatever beta available

Dating did not always mean consistently fucking someone until you got bored or decided to get married.

Dating was usually always a precursor to Marriage before the 70s.

>americans

>that scene in rome where mark antony is just fucking pumping that wench on the side of the road before walking back across the rubicon

>that scene in Rome were Octavian's mom unironically gives Brutus' mom a fat cock to console her breakup with Caesar

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that hot.

But seriously, I guess you can do that to any poor chick prior friendly negotiations (i.e. promise of pay and no weird shit). I live in the third world I have done that, shamefully I may admit.

cunt was most likely walking into what he knew was suicide, left one (Seeding) for the road

Yeah, James Purefoy was great in that role.

He didn't pay her. The Roman army was famous for its rapes. She was just some random shepherd girl that Antony had found near the road.

She seemed Roman considering how close to Rome that scene was.

>She seemed Roman considering how close to Rome that scene was.

She was probably not a Roman citizen. Just a Latin. This is only the 1st century BC.

I think whenever there was a city culture, excess in goods and material wealth in the civilization period, there was dating as well. You know like, Western Civilization is not the only civilization that ever existed, so looser sexual morals aren't restricted to modern times, think about Roman Empire period etc.

Yes. But that doesn't mean it was the bread and circus act we call "dating" today.

>Antony raping anyone

>mfw

Actually no. Very few marriages before 20th century were concluded just because of mutual love and affection.

This. Everyone wants to fuck Antony

not entirely true, but you are right that it was not traditional dating as we know it from the 20th century onwards.

men with true mutual affection with a woman would attempt to court her, which usually meant plying the woman with romantic gestures and gifts, and offering a dowry or gifts to the father of the woman, while offering him gestures of sufficient character and manhood in order to achieve his blessings in giving away his daughter to the favored suitor for marriage.
This tradition carries on today in more traditional weddings, as the father walks the bride down the aisle and "gives her away" to the groom