How are past lives logically possible?

How are past lives logically possible?
If the physically identical person who steps out of the quantum teleporter can't be identical to you, how could a completely different person who lived hundreds of years ago be identical to you?

This is initiate-level information and you are?

>This is initiate-level information
Initiate me then

>wants to be initiated over the internet
kek.

No.

Past lives aren't even possible anyway, and a quantam teleporter may not be able to exist beyond the theory of it.

This is the least significant problem with the "theory" of past lives. Number one would be "no-one has ever presented any mechanism for this supposed process".

You could have just said you don't have an answer to the question

Sounds like the same problem to me
I'm asking how it's possible at all for a person to have had a past life

>If the physically identical person who steps out of the quantum teleporter can't be identical to you
But that's not the doctrine of reincarnation in either Hindu systems, Buddhist systems, Gnostic systems, or Kabbalistic systems. Egyptian doesn't really have much of a reincarnation tradition but even THEY understood that the individuating component of personal consciousness is separate from the underlying substrata thereof.

Even if you manage to remember a few incarnations, they're, under no circumstances, identical to you.

>Even if you manage to remember a few incarnations, they're, under no circumstances, identical to you.
If they're not identical to you how is it reincarnation at all?

Same hard drive, fresh OS. Even your flesh is the recycled shit of dinosaurs.

What's the hard drive?

Because your soul supposedly grows and learns new shit through each incarnation, and continues to learn through your next incarnations. It's like how you aren't the same person as you were when you were 10, but you still have aspects of what you were like then. Same I suppose for when you reincarnate, you get a fresh start, but still have to learn similar lessons that you weren't finished with learning in your previous life.

Roleplaynium.

But what makes it the case that the soul of person A living hundreds of years ago and the soul of person B living today are one and the same soul?

Hindus believe we all share a piece of one giant soul, Buddhist belief doesn't teach the existance of a soul. Also what do you mean by the same? Am i the same person i was yesterday?

*existence

>Hindus believe we all share a piece of one giant soul, Buddhist belief doesn't teach the existance of a soul.
I was asking an user who suggested souls to explain how past lives are possible. How would past lives be logically possible on those views that don't even accept individual souls?
>Also what do you mean by the same? Am i the same person i was yesterday?
Well if you're skeptical about personal identity over time, how could you possibly believe in past lives? That seems like the most effective way to preclude that belief. If I didn't even exist yesterday, when this very organism writing these words existed in almost the exact same condition, I obviously didn't exist hundreds of years ago when this organism didn't even exist.

Can you state your strict definition of reincarnation. I'm not sure we have the same idea of what is necessary for reincarnation to be "logically possible"

>Well if you're skeptical about personal identity over time, how could you possibly believe in past lives?
I'm not skeptical however, you created the arbitrary requirement of past lives being "identical" for it to be considered reincarnation. My point is that it's unnecessary to be concerned with "identical" states because they do not strictly exist.

No need for a definition of reincarnation, I'm just thinking of regular examples of past lives that people believe in.
For example that there was a human being who lived and died in the past and that person was me, whereas I am now the human being writing these words. Maybe that person was a Babylonian warrior and I am now an English engineer, still that person was me.
The question is just, how is it possible that that person in the past was me?

>you created the arbitrary requirement of past lives being "identical"
Identical in the sense of "one and the same individual", not in the sense of "exactly alike"
I assumed everyone was familiar with the distinction between numerical identity and qualitative identity

>how is it possible that that person in the past was me?
Well why wouldn't it be possible? If you believe, as Hindus do, we are all an immortal being who is dividing his conciousness and taking on the separate rolls of all living beings, like how an actor would take on the roll of a character then the only possibility is that you are the same person, since all living beings are already the same being.

i said initiate me not bluepill me faggot

>Well why wouldn't it be possible?
Not really arguing that it isn't, just asking how it is.
Although see my OP:
>If the physically identical person who steps out of the quantum teleporter can't be identical to you, how could a completely different person who lived hundreds of years ago be identical to you?
In general, the usual solutions for personal identity over time in a single life don't seem available, since they are things like spatiotemporal continuity, continuity of physical or psychological properties, etc. Clearly this creates a special problem for personal identity over time in the case of past lives. (4-dimensionalism won't even work since there is apparently no reason why the 4-dimensional object from t1 to t2 in ancient Babylon and the 4-dimensional object from t3 to t4 in modern England should be seen as two phases of the same object rather than just as two separate objects.)

>If you believe, as Hindus do, we are all an immortal being who is dividing his conciousness and taking on the separate rolls of all living beings, like how an actor would take on the roll of a character then the only possibility is that you are the same person, since all living beings are already the same being.
Maybe this is the only way to go with it, but it seems kind of like curing a headache by cutting off your head

Because "you" are not your body. "You" are a conglomeration of your experiences. Youre not the same person you were 5 days, hours, or minutes ago. Though in terms of reincarnation I believe they're speaking of your "essence" as opposed to the exact same wave patterns that constitute the current you. It's all highly esoteric and metaphysical and asking how it could be possible is like asking how God could be possible. You have to believe in facts not in evidence.