Why is the dragonslaying myth so prevalent in cultures vastly different from one another?

Why is the dragonslaying myth so prevalent in cultures vastly different from one another?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8FIDeOOL52Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>St. George and the Dragon
>Zeus and Typhon
>Perun and Veles
>Ra and Apep
>Marduk and Tiamat
>Indra and Vrtra
>Susano-O and Yamata no Orochi
>Quetzalcoatl and Cipatcli

Mostly I see it as triumph of order over primordial chaos, but did all those cultures have the same view of it, and to what degree?

do you want the "academic consensus", or do you want to get bogpilled and find the truth?

both

Because our ancestors used to fight extant non-Avian Dinosaurs.

Academia doesn't want you know this

I didn't think that either until they found dinosaur toys that Maya used to play with, and then there is the rotten t-rex tissue...

A dragon is something that can kill you in a single act. They are common amoung the higher beings, including demons to God himself, to slay one would be to indicate that some person is stronger than those creatures. Which is impossible without the help of God and proof of their impiety.

Watch this documentary:

youtube.com/watch?v=8FIDeOOL52Q

what does Jordan Peterson say about THICC maternal goddesses

It represent the triumph of reason over the reptilian brain.

Jordan Peterson has never made a coherent statement in his life you dumb POS

Cool things are cool

Why are bulls such common symbols in basic cultures

S O R T

t. Marxist

Dragons are T H I C C

Post more T H I C C

Holy fuck check out this skull I found!

Holy fuck check out these giant wing bones I found!

Holy fuck what if this thing could fly!?

Granted a lot of these only fit the profile of "dragon" if you really stretch the term.

why would a dragon want to kidnap a human female anyway

Dragon = dinosaur (dinosaur was not coined as a word until the 19th century).

Judging by constellation names, a lot of descriptive names are a stretch.

Read the work of Adolf Bastian, he first proposed the concept of Elementary Ideas and Ethnic Ideas of mythology. Bastian heavily influenced Joseph Campbell and his work on the Monomyth. The elementary ideas are also loosely related to the concept of the archetypes of the unconscious put forward by Jung.

They were jealous of superior dragon dick.

Dragon sex

Sigurd/ Siegfried from Norse myths too

Because fear of snakes going after babies and youngsters has been an adaptive part of (majority) mammialian cognition since they developed.

To kill the great snake is to kill off a predator of your tribe's weakest people (women and children).

Read:
>Maps of Meaning, by the walking meme Dr. Jordan Peterson
>The Hero with A Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell
>Archetypes, by Carl Jung

Basically the dragon is an amalgamation of everything unknown and threatening and also a metaphorical representation of chaos and adversity in general.
It basically all boils down to this concept: You have some plans for the future, so you act accordingly so that your goals can be achieved, predicated on some belief of the world. Then something unexpected happens (dragon appears; metaphorically) and you enter chaos or "the underworld", and nothing is like you thought it was. Then you need to let part of yourself go (you die) and, if you're capable enough, you pull yourself together to face adversity after having reevaluated the world and your life (rebirth) and in the end you make your goals come true. That's the heroes journey, the fundamental essence of a story and life in general in a nutshell. And every single culture came up with their own version of this. Quite remarkable. It's also why art makes people feel emotions.

t. peterson shill

refute this Everything Peterson says makes perfect sense to me. And I used to be a huge Marxist.

Why did someone spend paint that

More maps of meaning:
>What can now be calmly described as an archaic symbol or god from the past may also reasonably be considered as the manifestation of a primeval "independent" personality - the unified "embodiment" in ritual or imagination of some set of phenomena united by their affective or functional equivalence. These personalities - deities, to say it once again - have with time lost affective and conceptual relevance, as a consequence of the constant expansion of human adaptive capacity, and have become "broken down" into less complex, more determinate aspects of experience. In their original form, however, these "representational personalities" revealed themselves within the creative, compensatory experience of exceptional individuals, beset by their own incomprehensible (although not purely idiosyncratic) personal tragedy. Concrete realization of such manifestation - transformation into an artistic production or potent story, for example - involuntarily seized the attention of peers, and inspired a sense of fascination and awe. Centuries-long cultural elaboration of such production gave rise to the elaborated "existence" of transpersonal beings, of transcendent power, who inhabited the "space" defined by the collective imagination of mankind, and who behaved in accordance with the dictates of their own irrational, myth-predicated souls. These "representations" served as active images, detailing to everyone what was as of yet explicitly unknown - only partially known; pointed the way towards aspects of experience beyond the grasp of "conscious" abstract apprehension, but not safe to ignore.

Also
>Sigurd Völsung and Fafne

>tfw you get cucked by a dragon AGAIN
darn it!

dragons are behind it all.

Probably some Moor traders bought a crocodile from the Nile

Crocodiles were known to Europeans.

Yeah, but big ones?

But like yeah, maybe generations before saw one and it changed over time like the unicorn

Because its not. European dragons are barely similar to Asian dragons.

The answer is people liked mixing up animals and creating super animals. Reptiles with wings in this case.

Autists have always existed, user.

No one can explain why dragons exist in every culture. There are hairbrained theories like
>durr its an amalgamation of predators
or
>braaapp dinosaurs walked with humans.

What really activates my almonds is why in some cultures there are benevolent gods/protectors that bring good fortune and in others they are just beasts that pose a threat to humans.

SCALED

You morons.
It's the conception of Alexandra the Great. The Dragon is Zeus, the King is Philip of Macedon

So the chimera predates the dragon?

Dragons being depicted as huge is more of a modern thing though. Pretty much all medieval depictions I've seen had relatively tiny dragons. The one in OP pic is among the larger ones. This might also have something to do with the fact that they knew about the practicality of their weapons and attempting to kill something as tall as a castle tower with lance and sword would have appeared utterly silly to them.