Was the British empire a good thing or a bad thing for the world?

Was the British empire a good thing or a bad thing for the world?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u6_vyGuhkfA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mixed Bag
This is a bad place to ask though, they hate English people here.

"The world" doesn't give a shit. It was good for some people and bad for others.

Anglos are responsible for over 90% of the world's problems today

t. Shitskins

good and bad are tricksy but without the British, we still wouldn't have surpassed the wisdom of antiquity.

What parts? The oppression was bad, not going to lie, though arguably constitutional monarchy is a shade less oppressive than the typical regime of the time. The contributions of various scientists and entrepreneurs was pivotal. The upper class took an interest in civilized achievement. The working classes were not much different from others across the world, it might be argued they were less prone to revolt but that might be attributed to the intelligence and benevolence of their betters.

Bad. It was only good for the administrators of the empire.

This.

It brought about racism

I'll be speaking obongababngabanga if it weren't for these white devils.

Wtf? I hate Anglos now

Detractors and naysayers all will post here, not one of them has any sense of perspective, or intelligence naturally. Too caught up with might have beens, and wounded pride for them to see the importance of the many faceted existence of Britannia.

Its majesty seems for them to end at the mouth of a martini-henry rifle.

Well said.

Bad

Good for Britain bad for the majority of the world.

The empire only benefited the Brits by it's very nature, Nigel. In some colonies the living conditions were deplorable for the natives. Shouldn't you be doing genocide on the Irish right now?

Your very focus on this issue just marks you as having received a manipulative education.

Prove me wrong then. Tell me of the great things the empire has done to validate your position.

this really nagged my noggin

Political thought, sciences, industrial breakthrough, social development, philosophy, study...

The breadth of fields and subjects that Britain excelled at an lead in are staggering, and nebulous.

For example: Britain's nobility out of idle curiosity invented the concept of archeology, and the study thereof. Have you ever noticed how eras of prehistory sound a tad familiar; Cambrian, Devonian?

Post ww2 Britain took Western African's cocoa farm profits by under paying the farmers half of the profits then put it in a savings account to pay for India's wartime repairs. They slot pretty much half of the profits and the funny thing about it is that if cocoa prices were high the farmers were under paid immensely and if prices were low the farmers still got very low profits from the British cocoa boards.

The entire colony system involved throwing it's colonies under the bus regardless of their location.

Good.

For the better. If America had stayed loyal then even better

Mind if I borrow this Pepe?

>Britain's nobility out of idle curiosity invented the concept of archeology, and the study thereof. Have you ever noticed how eras of prehistory sound a tad familiar; Cambrian, Devonian?
Mouth-breather here, could you elaborate more on this?

They sound like places in UK
Devon, Cambridge, ect

he's right you know

Very bad.
Sea power is not only satanic but also gay.

This is true, a good example is Iran(Persia).

Britain itself is alright.

Empires are, as a rule, shit. It is the strong abusing the weak for their own benefit, and I don't see how that fact makes the British Empire anything but morally reprehensible.

>empires are shit

>they hate English people here.

the rest of the UK hates England too.

Are you that fucking stupid?

Racism has existed since Tribe A didn't like the way Tribe B did x, or looked, or competed for resources, etc.

Good and bad, things are never black and white.

going beyond that, they are named for the region wherein species of the classifiable age were first being studied

Lets be honest, the whole of the middle east was a fucking mess before the British made it messier.

Big difference between xenophobia and racism though.

Like even for you example ethnic/sub ethnic relations always shift so xenophobia always disappears or reappears and much more fluctuating.

Pretty bad, the British are most responsible for most of the racial tensions in the world

Just because they pointed out the failings of other races, doesn't mean they're responsible for them. It's not the fault of the English that the civilized standard they set was too much of a challenge for these other nations to emulate.

thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=u6_vyGuhkfA

>bunch of beady anglos enrich themselves off the suffering of others
>"oh look but we gave civilisation"

Burgers have the decency to say that they are in a place for their resources as part of their national discourse.

>everywhere you go
>wild, godless packs of illiterate savages are just sitting on top of immense wealth and untapped resources

Of come on, it's not like anyone else was using that shit. Makes me laugh like Venezuela nationalizing their oil fields AFTER others constructed them all.

Bunch of punks.

>anyone else was using that shit
>brits take it for themselves and use it for their own benefit
>this is somehow better for the people in the colonies.

Fuck those people is the point.

They were shit when the British arrived. They did their best to help them up a few rungs but otherwise fuck every last one of them.

>countries are worse in every aspect when the british leave
>helped them.
nigel please.

Why do Anglo Haters insist on calling us Nigel? it's not even in the top 30 boy names.

Sorry, Muhammad.

Oh what the fuck ever.

I don't think that applies to a single place or people actually.

Considering the state of the world at the start of British colonialism. Who was worse off than they were before?

That isn't either.

>niggers were too sparsely populated to kill each other effectively
>after bongs leave their frankensteins of colonies are now expected to function as colonies when they have hordes of niggers armed with dakka.

Ah yes, Mahomet then.

>Shouldn't you be doing genocide on the Irish right now?
leave them long enough they genocide themselves

Get your post-modern lexicon out of there

Pros:
Gave the world the USA

Cons:
Gave the world Canada and Australia

Pros: created english
Cons: nuked german culture to hell

The G*rm would have to develop (or, more likely, steal) some culture before it could be nuked, sweetie.

Is there a land on this earth more beautiful, whose people's ways more noble?

I live in a colony of the British Empire. One that hasn't been butt-fucked by the savages, instead worked with them to build something better.

So I'd say It was a good thing.

Consider that, any tribe or government in power prior to the British takeover would be many times more oppressive, disorganised and useless.

They had good things, but overall, bad.

What colony? New Zealand? You do know Maori only stood a chance due to distance from the metropole?

Nice guess.

Distance from the metropole? The Maori had excellent defensive tactics. Don't try and say they didn't

India and Australia were on the shipping lanes on the way to New Zealand, they could have reinforced as much as they needed

And that required wasting resources on one part of the world when the British have better things to do.

Here, ladies and gentlemen, we see a common phenomenon amongst the English: where they perceive what is, at most, mild displeasure as outright hatred and hostility.

These delusions of persecution is perhaps linked to their delusions of grandeur. They know, quite simply, no one actively likes them. But they still believe they are important, far, far too important for mere indifference. As such they convince themselves that the world hates them, perhaps going so far as to say this is because of their supposed "greatness", rather than in spite of it. "Success breeds jealousy" they tell themselves.

Brits will say it was a good thing, because that's true.
Everyone else will say otherwise, because they're either jealous or arse-hurt that their nation didn't have such glory.

tl;dr you won't get a collective answer here

Wasting resources on the part of the world?

The British Empire was the most Efficient distributor of resources to its protectorates and colonies.

Try and say it was'nt. Point out any colony of a European power than works as well.

Colonisation is objectively bad

You're right we should have never interacted with them at all and kept our medicine, technology and all the rest.

We would be building superstructures to harness the hydrogen on Saturn by now while the rest of the world still hunted with sticks.

I agree colonialism was a MASSIVE waste of everyone's time.

>transmission of ideas can only happen with slavery and imperialism

Net positive over all.

All the bad things are single cases of bad men doing bad things. A massacre is a terrible thing but its impact on world history is basically nil.

Whereas all the good things are long lasting and beneficial to the world.

You don't get it.

All we needed from them was labor. We didn't need their anything else at all. And we brought agriculture and medicine and electricity to the planet.

And all they can do with it all in 2017 is bitch and moan about the evil white men in our own fucking language using all the tech we had to literally create for them to whine with.

Better we had left them all happily doing whatever the fuck they were before we showed up.

yes
has it ever been another way

name a single time brits helped europe or humankind, I'll wait.

Abolition of Slavery.

Industry like the Steam Engine

GMT

Shitty thing

It likes to pass off that it was this grandiose thing of high ideals and civilization but really it was just about lining the pockets of merchants. Like the mines in south Africa for example.

When the merchants realized it had run its course after the war they stopped it and reverse the flows of people. It was no longer the Englishman going to foreign lands but the golliwog coming to her majestys shores.

Good for you, siding with the merchants. The ones who exploit Imperial Possessions and Subjects for their own gain.

Without the likes of you, the Empire would have thrived. But I guess reality gets in the way as usual

industrial revolution alone is more than enough to make up for all the evil things Brits have done.
Without anglos, we would still be opressed peasants serving the local warlord

defeating the nazi empire

but it is hate

It is not hate to deny a 450 lb couch potato an olympic gold medal but it would be hate to deny Usain Bolt his well deserved gold, you are denying his accomplishments even though he is objectively superior.

It is the same with the British Empire that built the modern world. If you don't give credit where it is due you must be a hater.

I'm not siding with anyone buddy, it's the objective truth.

Objective truth doesn't exist.

The world would be better off with the British Empire still in full force ;)

Those who slander the British Empire, slander European civilization, superior civilization, and that will not be accepted on this board.

On the otherhand, America is responsible for all large worlds ills, and is not white or European, therefor it is subhuman and should be recognized as such.

you're clueless