ITT: Military masterminds overshadowed by others/forgotten by time

ITT: Military masterminds overshadowed by others/forgotten by time.

Luigi Cadorna: Italian General who defended Italy from Austro-Hungarian invasion on 12 occasions from 1915-1917 during WW1.

Made a Field Marshall of Italy in 1924 by Mussolini in recognition of his brave defence of Italy, yet forgotten.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Front_(World_War_I)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._F._C._Fuller#Military_theories
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ever look into a picture, staring at the face in it, and find that the person is frightening?

Something about this man seems like he would have no issues fighting another man to the death.

Is that Luigi "shoot my men until the war's over, then" Cadorna?
Luigi "leave no man alive, not even yourself" Cadorna?
Luigi "bloody foam all the way to Rome" Cadorna?
Luigi "flee and I'll take your life for free" Cadorna?
Luigi "Eleven times more into the breach, lads" Cadorna?
Luigi "My strategy ignores artillery" Cadorna?
Luigi "Supply my troops and I'll court martial your group" Cadorna?
Luigi "You call this dull? Look at all those Italian skulls!" Cadorna?
Luigi "More bodies for the Isonzo, Bonzo" Cadorna?
Luigi "Viscera? Que sera, sera" Cadorna?

He was a psychopath

>Don't do it, Luigi! I have the high ground!

the italian front was drawn down the Soča valley that's pretty steep on both sides so it's hard to make progress in either direction i.e. it should be easy to defend. i'd be happy to hear a real argument about the italians' performance though

>this kills the Austrian
>this causes butthurt in the Piedmontese

Field Marshall Douglas Haig
All these memes about being a butcher have tarnished his reputation

The guy was actually a strategic innovator who pretty much wrote the 1st edition of the book on combined forces operations (Infantry, Armour and Air working as one)

WW1 Zhukov

>Man who lost the war was a Piedmontese
>Man who won the war was a Neapolitan
I think we can now tell which part of Italy is the best

Yes, let's conveniently forget that Terronia's entire military history consists of just being subjugated by other people.

And northern Italy is different?

Are you really asking this question? An ignorant person might say that they were "controlled" by the HRE, but that's not true. The wars of the Lombard League made the Italian city-states effectively independent from them and they only kept being part of it in name.

>*Gets captured and subjugated by English mercenaries*

And they used that Independence to great effect by becoming vasalls and getting outright annexed by the Venedians, French, Spanish and Austrians.

What?

>Venedians

They aren't part of Northern Italy now?

>French, Spanish and Austrians

Really just very minor influences compared to the eternal state of subjugation of the terroni. Overall, the northern and central city-states have a great military history. I could list a ton of shit about them, but I'll let you do your own research.

Inter-Italian racism always has to ruin threads.

>racism

It's just banter you pussy.

Also, it wasn't me who started it.

Cadorna was a lunatic who sent thousands upon thousands of italian men to die in his insane offensives. He was stuck in the past, always thinking the austro-hungarians were close breaking, the bravery of his men could easily stand up to machine guns, the bayonet is the true way to fight! If course he was udderly delusional and this line of thinking killed unimaginable amounts of men during WW1. Look OP, you're a faggot and I suspect a fascist larper. Kys

Yet the Italian casualties really weren't that big compared to the Austrian ones. Really activates your cerebral cortex: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Front_(World_War_I)

>651,000 killed
>953,886 wounded
>600,000 missing/captured

Vs.

>404,000 killed
>1,207,000 wounded
>767,000 missing/captured

You want a real example of people "throwing themselves at the enemy" then look at the K/D difference between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

A-H was fighting on three different fronts from 1914
Italy only faught on one front fro 1915

J. F. C. Fuller

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._F._C._Fuller#Military_theories

That's irrelevant. The one I posted is just about that specific front. The other ones are counted separately.

>not that many people died during the 28th battle of the izonso river comparatively xD

Literally changes nothing. He was a total failure. Trying to frame him as some great defender of italy is ridiculous. Instert the defenition of instanity blah blah..

Better version

because Diaz won the war, while Cadorna almost lost it

>strawmanning

Yes, he was a retard, but his stupidity really didn't cost that many lives.

>
Yet the Italian casualties really weren't that big compared to the Austrian ones

A lot of that evening out comes from the last six months of the war after Cadorna got sacked. The offensive at Veneto alone under Diaz inflicting on the Austrians some 528,000 casualties compared to 37,000 Italian. Cadorna wasn't the commander there, nor was he at places like Monte Grappa. What can be directly credited to him though is the Isonzo Front and Trentino Offensive, both of which were horrendous in terms of casualties for basically no gain.

>then look at the K/D difference between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

K/D is a meme, look at POW figures and add them to the total dead and missing for the real losses.

So A-H had more troops missing (probably desertions)but italy has more killed and wounded that makes Luigi a better general?

No. He was a shit general, but it wasn't like the other guy was implying. He got some people killed because of his incompetence but it wasn't that many.

A-H had far more wounded than Italy did actually. And many of those missing who weren't POWs were probably unconfirmed deaths. Would explain their unusually high wounded to confirmed killed ratio.

>this post

Someone post the image!

He even looks retarded

Very nice meme right there

Invented the brilliant strategy of ordering bayonet charges with no artillary support against entrenched machine gun emplacements at a 70 degree angle above your own positions and subsequently executing every 10th man when your 70 degree banzai charge against machine guns didn't work. Fucking brilliant.

Yeah

Luigi Cadorna

Military mastermind

in service of Austria Hungary

>You want a real example of people "throwing themselves at the enemy" then look at the K/D difference between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.
from what i gather from informed anons here, the k/d ratio on the wwii eastern front was skewed by the massive losses the soviets took in the first year of the war, when the initial surprise of Barbossa led to huge surrenders and killing. If you factor that in then the Soviets were about equal to the Germans in K/D for the rest of the war.

woops
I meant to say here the great irony of the Italian front was that extreme nationalists and Italian politicians wanted to use the war as an opportunity to forge Italy into a unified homogenous nation. But instead, Cadorna's senseless orders to charge the enemy, his brutal treatment of his soldiers, who were mainly peasants who couldn't speak Official Italian (thereby opening them to harassment by their officers), alienated the rank and file from the national project. It's no coincidence that tens of thousands of soldiers simply deserted to their homes after their massive route at Caporetto.

(to add) A comparison with France and Britain illuminates just how much the Italians fucked up. The French suffered heavily in World War I but ended the war as a more or less with a patriotic rank and file who would go on to speak and write in Official French with the training they received. The same can be said with the British to a lesser extent. Italy, to be fair, had never been a unified territory nearly as long as Britain and France, but I think the effects of the WWI are manifest in the persistent regionalism of Italy, a fact that is still quite strong today. But I suppose the story of Modern Italy is one of building a foundation out of a dazzling array of local dialects, political cultures and economic structures and with the greatest strain trying to link this into a single identity. Even as short a time as two decades ago the rise of the Northern League threatened to tear Italy asunder due to the divergent identities of north and south

that's really pretty funny

Aleksei Brusilov, masterminded the Entente's greatest victory, is forgotten because Russia collapsed the next year.

Fucking Scipio Africanus

I have no idea why people ride hannibal's dick when he got his shit wrecked by scipio, who then went on to bitch-slap the seleucids

fucking lost it

Nader Shah, the second Alexander that basically no one knows about.