Who is your favorite emperor and why?

Who is your favorite emperor and why?

My personal favorite is Julian the philosopher/apostate depending on which side of the fence you are on. The last pagan emperor.

He saw Christianity taking hold and understood what it meant in the larger picture. He undid a lot of Constantine's work and forbid christians from dominating the education system.

He attempted to secure of freedom of worship as a principle and put himself at odds with the early church and its psycho authoritarians.

He saw the danger that organized monotheism brought with it and tried to turn the rising anti-intellectual tide. But alas it was too little too late and he diesdmfighting the Persians (according to the record) but I have my serious doubts about that.

My close second would be Marcus Aurelius.

What can I say? I get a chubby for philosopher kings.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecunia_non_olet
itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/emperors-of-rome/id850148806?mt=2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian#Cultural_pursuits_and_patronage
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_of_Amasea
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>favorite emperor
Theodosius
>Julian
May he rest in piss
>I get a chubby for philosopher kings.
No need to tell us, I could already tell you're a sodomite

Augustus/Octavian Caesar
>inb4 meme Emperor
He was a carbon copy of Julius, but even better. He set the bar for emperors that was only met by a few. Also, he kicked Marc Antony's ass

Vespasian, ends the year of 4 emperors and attempts to stop any more civil strife.

>inb4 urine tax

Theodosius: not a bad choice. I've seen his column in Constantinople and his constructions around the city. Very capable able emperor who held shit together during tough times.

+1. Seemed like a really chill down to earth kind of guy who worked hard and didn't take himself too seriously. Anyone could approach and talk to him apparently. He had a mistress who he lavished but he put it all down in the tax records for everyone to see lmao. Too bad Titus died young, seemed like a chip off the old block.

What's the urine tax?

I love Julian. He's like the swan song of the Greco-Roman pagan hero.

>Denied his birthright and heritage by cruel caretakers and mindless bureaucrats
>Shunted off to the barbarian wilderness so he will stop going on about Homer and Plato
>Turns out to be a genius strategist and his love of paganism (despite being a Christian Bishop) earns him the devotion of his armies
>Wages a doomed war to usurp power
>oh, shit, it actually works, the other guy died
>Fix up the economy
>Remove the strangehold Christian and Jewish bureaucrats have on Roman administration
>Come up with zany new religious bullshit
>Decide to invade Persia to pay off the Greek legions who aren't happy about that whole "braise seuss :-DDD" thing
>Ask the Delphic Oracle's opinion on the matter
>Told to NOT invade Persia
>Does it anyways
>Dies

All in five fucking years.

The Pagan Roman emperors are so much more fun than the Christian ones. They're rollercoasters that alternate between completely fucking retarded and gloriously amazing.

after instituting several taxes, the public resented and mocked a tax on public toilets (i think it was over ammonia or something).

I think the italian for urinal is close to vespasian

>exiling Ovid

dropped

lol en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecunia_non_olet

fyi this is a really good podcast about the emperors (up to Marcus Aurelius atm) if you're interested:

itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/emperors-of-rome/id850148806?mt=2

got any pics you took of it or related things?

>poet
Into the trash it goes

Nero. His policies in the east were effective and he knew how to best deal with rising social issues such as Christianity in Rome.

get a load of this pleb

yeah that turned out real well...

>goat tier
Majorian
Aurelian
Julian
Marcus Aurelius

I'll have to have a peruse in my folders. But in the meantime have a picture from the nearby museum of Hermaphrodite, the love child of Hermes and Aphrodite. One of humanity's first traps.

>no Trajan aka Optimus Princeps

ty based gayreeks

What has poetry done for the Romans?

REEE CHRISTIANITY IS BAD I PREFER TERRIBLE PHILOSOPHY BECAUSE IM AN INTELLECTUAL
>He attempted to secure of freedom of worship as a principle and put himself at odds with the early church and its psycho authoritarians.
Delusional Romaboos. Romans slaughtered Christians for not worshiping the emperor. Who the fuck are you calling 'psycho authoritarians'.

None of those evil horsefucking fucks. You have to be a special kind of autist to admire such assholes.

make them realise they would never be as good as the greeks

enter the zealot! tfw nero will never set you alight for funsies

who you admire then bae?

>enter the zealot! tfw nero will never set you alight for funsies
ANYBODY I DONT LIKE IS CRAZY THATS WHY I KILL THEM BECAUSE IM SANE AND THEY ARENT HAHAAHA FUCKING CHRISTIANS FUCK YOU MOM I DONT WANNA GO TO CHURCH I WANNA PLAY WOW INSTEAD

non obliviscar tui ut medicina, anonymous

>make paganism punishable by death
>even Julian never stooped to enforcing similar laws on Christianity
>total breakdown of public order as Christians are given free reign to fuck with Christians
>massive influx of civil wars/attempted coups following Constantine's decision to impose Christianity on Rome.

why do you faggots shill so hard for Judaism-lite.

exhibit A

>in b4 was the Serapeum, not real library. Julius Caesar's fault

>Romans slaughtered Christians for not worshiping the emperor
Romans slaughtered Christians because they were annoying faggots who destroyed non-Christian idols and preached down onto other people with a tone of moral superiority and self-righteousness only matched by modern day SJW's.

>destroying an evil empire is bad WAAAH WHY WONT THEY LET ME LARP FUCKING CHRISTIANS REEEE YOU DESEREVE TO GET RAPPED BY ANIMALS AND EATEN AND POOPED ON BECAUSE I WANNA PLAY FUCKING WOW ALL DAY AND NOT GO TO CHURCH REEE
Why is burning a library bad?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DONT SAY THINGS I DONT LIKE REEEEEEEEEEEEE IM GONNA KILL YOU FOR DOING THINGS I DONT LIKE BECAUSE YOUR NOT MORALLY SUPERIOR WE ARE THATS WHY WE ENSLAVE ENTIRE SOCIETIES AND FUCK THEIR CHILDREN BECAUSE WERE LE INTELLECTUALS LIKE GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS REE

Aurelian. He prolonged the empire's lifespan by a couple of centuries.

He didn't kick Antony's ass, Agrippa did. He was a very capable politician and administrator but Augustus wasn't Julius' equal in regards to generalship.

Unironically Tiberius

Why?

cos he goes to capri and makes little boys swim beteen his legs in the pool and doesn't afraid of anything

Germanicus cos he would have been the best

Didn't want to be emperor or even be given responsibility at all but did his duty, admirably tried to prod the senate into growing some balls, didn't kill Caligula because he knew that Caligula would do better than Gemellus (don't believe everything the senators have passed down to us).

did he actually say that?

Julian was objectively a horrible Emperor. He's down there with Honorius and Valentinian III

>liking the Misopogon

Nero.
>Greekaboo
>put effort into his artistic endeavors, even if the contests themselves were rigged
>one-up-manship, was planning to race a ten horse chariot around the Circus Maximus before he was overthrown
>masterful knowledge of Roman mythology and its propaganda value, his symbolic gestures were on par with Augustus' but without the subtly
>best fetishes, great taste in Greek theatre
>might've modeled his entire life after a Greek tyrant who /ss/'d with his mother
>made of gold, appealing to my servile instincts
>also a cute anime girl

Hadrian was the superior Greekabo sorry kid

Hadrian lacked Nero's artistic flair. Anyone can build a wall, it takes a special kind of genius to turn burning Christians into a mythological/political reassurance.

Why was Christianity so bad for Rome? It seems like most of the really bad emporers were pagan.

Unironically this. Based af Trajan was a leader of a kind that Rome would never see again. Also Marcus Aurelius is probably second for the whole Restitutor Orbis thing.

>greekaboo
Literally what began the degeneration and fall of the Republic, starting with Scipio Africanus

>Why was Christianity so bad for Rome?
It wasn't, it's not something that an actual historian would ever say.

>Hadrian lacked Nero's artistic flair

you mean Hadrian lacked Nero's insanity and was actually a talented patrician: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian#Cultural_pursuits_and_patronage

>there is a republic in the first place without greek influence

Nero was unfortunately in a pretty bad spot of the roman empire but he's still shit.

>greek influence
Well that's not greekaboo then is it? Declaring Greek mob failure as flawed but taking the good parts to forge something Roman isn't greekabooism at all.

>hadrian
>patrician
He was literally a plebeian Spaniard of non-Roman (probably freedman or Celtiberian) descent.

This, this, a thousand times this.

Also, Christians were slaughtered for... breaking reasonable laws that result in death.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_of_Amasea

>Saint Theodore of Amasea (Greek: Θεόδωρος) is one of the two saints called Theodore, who are venerated as Warrior Saints and Great Martyrs in the Eastern Orthodox Church.
>However, he again protested paganism by setting fire to the temple of Cybele (the local mother-goddess) at Amasea. He was then condemned to death and, after tortures, was executed by being thrown into a furnace.
>St Theodore became especially important in the Eastern Orthodox Church, where his cult spread widely.

Didn't everyone dislike his art?

I mean so far all I've heard is a lot of Reeeeing but no reasons why Christianity was supposedly so good for the empire. Seems like slave morality for women and....slaves which became intolerant in direct correlation with its power. But muh christ!

Take your fedora off please

It was so easy for the elite to turn to their own ends though. In paganism disobeying authority meant a nasty death, with Christianity it meant a nasty death that was pleasure compared to burning in hell! :^) Also if you obey like a good doggie in real life, god will reward you in heaven :^) whereas in paganism you went any which way but loose, any which way you can.

This is a mind numbingly infantile understanding of Christianity, Roman Paganism, and Roman politics.

Nice reasoning there cupcake.

LVCIVS DOMITIVS AVRELIANVS, BECAUSE HE WAS ONE OF THE NOBLEST —IF NOT THE NOBLEST— ROMAN EMPERORS.

>Divide the empire and turn it over to your retard children controlled by barbarian generals.

again can any one explain why Christ worshipping was so good for the empire? Or is it just muh bibles with some of you cunts?

Majorian.

I like to imagine what may have happened if ricimer didn't betray him

Anthemius (467-472 AD)

I would argue that Anthemius actually made a better go of stabilising the western empire in its last years than Memejorian.

He realised that Africa was an absolute priority, and did not waste time and resources like Majorian did trying to wrest central/northern Gaul and Spain (beyond the eastern littoral) back from barbarian/local control. Instead he concentrated his resources on recovering the north African breadbasket from the Vandals - unfortunately, bad luck, as with Majorian, meant that this didn't work out. But the fact that he survived the failure of the joint eastern/western assault, where Majorian did not, speaks to the measure of stability he had returned to the region.

Regrettably, he butted heads with Ricimer - had he done away with the magister militum and appointed another, perhaps even Gundobad, he could have rid himself of an inevitable problem. Ricimer was not going to be well disposed towards him because of his imposition from the east - and a marriage alliance was never going to be enough to fix that.

That's Claudius II Gothicus u numbnuts.

I think it's parodying when he said pyramids were grain silos.

>noblest
That would also be Tiberius, who was BORN a patrician unlike every other emperor excepting Caligula and Claudius, except that Tiberius had more patrician blood as his maternal grandfather was also born a patrician, but became plebeian through adoption.

Why do all the ladies love Jesus?
Because he's hung like this....