What exactly happened to ethnic Romans? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere online

What exactly happened to ethnic Romans? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere online.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Spezia–Rimini_Line
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They blanda upped with the Samnites, the Greeks, the Etruscans and the Gauls. Then they went 100 % Sweden and blanda upped with anything everywhere each day erryday.

Don't take the bait, they didn't disappear.
Most italians have a ethnic roman ancestor with some germanic admixture

They blended into what we now consider 'Italians'

You don't really get 'ethnic Romans' outside of pic related.

As implied, there were other ethnic groups on the Italian peninsula

They became Italians. Specifically Central and southern Italians and not those Germanic rape babies from Padania.

>ethnic Romans
>ethnic
>Roman

best answer you can expect, though it's not like they have nothing in common

I fucking hate threads like this.

They got mixed with so many slaves from so many places.

What is an "ethnic" Roman? The original population of Latium before Roman expansion that was an insignificant part of it? They've probably been diluted to the point of extinction in a genetic sense.

Roman was an identity associated with the Roman state and certain cultural characteristics the state promoted.

In that sense the descendants of "ethnic Romans" live from England to North Africa to the Levant, i.e. the places that were part of the Roman empire, having mixed with new populations that came to their lands since then.

This, more or less. The Germanic influence in Northern Italy is huge. What's interesting is that the dialects in the north share a lot of features with other Germanic-influenced Romance languages like French and Spanish. The southern dialects, such as the Tuscan one eventually formed the basis of standard Italian, don't share these features, which is a big part of why modern Italian is the closest relative to Latin.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Spezia–Rimini_Line

They fled to constantinople

You're exaggerating. We can't really quantify "Germanic influence" but if we take some haplogroups that seem (nothing is certain, again) to be associated with the proto-Germanic area, Germanic influence is found all over Italy. Some places in the South seem to have a bit more than some places in the North even. But overall it's quite low.

Well, I'm not an anthropologist, but how much is "quite low"? I wouldn't go so far as the poster I quoted and say that they're all Germanic rape babies, but even say 7% is really significant. The linguistic influence is there, at any rate.

Despte the fact that the north are a bunch of up their own ass snooty metrosexuals and the south is full of lazy, violent criminals, they're more closely related than not. The only ones who can't claim Roman descent are the Sardinians probably

>southern and central italy is a shithole
>northern italy is prosperous
really makes you think

naturally the italians are barbarians that migrated in, the romans are there, they're simply genetic material now

they were black but white people killed them and covered it up

HOLD UP
IS YOUZ SAYIN?
WE WAS CAESARS N SHEIT?!

They mixed with blackamoors and germans.
Im from NJ and see italians everyday, they arent blond

excellent soft trolling the dago m8

If you consider 7% significant, then sure, it's probably even double of that in some places both in the north an south. It's really hard to quantify these things exactly anyway since Europe is basically made up of the same elements at different percentages. Only Y-DNA haplogroup subclades can give a very vague picture right now.

They interbred with non-blue eyed people, which directly caused the downfall of the Roman empire.

Italians.

They adopted new ethnic identities after the empire fell apart.

The Romans of Rome itself became Italains obviously.

WE

I don't see any Scipiones, Caesars, or Octavians in there.

They've been Italians since like 100BC

No or isn't. Genetically speaking Germanic influence in north Italy is negligible to nonexistent.

Roughly 0%

>take a larger sample
>reduce to middle aged men
>filter out all images that aren't favourable in regards to facial mali such as pimples
>filter out all images with emotions and even simply open mouths, only boring, stern mimics to be left
There you have it, countless Scipiones, Caesares and Octavianes in the same rendition an ancient sculptor would make them of a leader.

It's as easy as that.

How it comes that the Northern Italians, descendants of the Longobards are more civilized than the teruni scum?

It's probably around 10% on average based on subclades. Autosomally it's impossible to tell, it isn't like the neighboring German-speaking populations are that different in the first place.

Austrians and Swiss Germans are closer to North Italians than Danes.

How would you define ethnic Roman, A Roman in the city of Rome during the republic would see other Italians as basically foreigners, even though they're on the same peninsula.

Probably this is not the best place where to ask, but I'm a Greenish-blue eyed Romanian, and one of my Great Great Grandparents emigrated from Italy.

What are my chances of having Roman blood?

It'd be more weird if you didn't have any "Roman blood", just as it'd be more weird if you didn't have any "Maghrebi blood".

People vastly underestimate just how intermixed populations can get even in a a single-digit number of generations, let alone in over two millennia.

To illustrate this, you have about a million ancestors from around the year 1400.

Scipio is literally the average Italian old man you see in a park. Extraordinary feats, yet ordinary appearance.

Nice, I also like to make those comparison to ancient statues. Pic-related is Josephus (probably), and he does looks like some random Jewish guy today.

They died of old age about 2 millennia ago. Very sad. Many such cases.

Modern-day Italians. Ashkenazi also have substantial Italian mixture.

>ethnic Romans

Never existed. You must be talking about the Latins, but it wasn't even them who founded the Roman Kingdom, it was the Etruscans. The Latins only founded the Republic and Empire.

>southern Italians
Greek and Punic rapebabies to begin with, then Muslims, Vandal, German, Norman et al

All Italians are Mediterranean to the core. No exceptions. Even Northern Italians are more Mediterranean than Iberians. The Alpine mountain chain is a natural barrier against snowniggers.

>romans are literally subhuman shitskins

>central italy is a shithole

No.

>it was the Etruscans
Could you tell us a bit more about this?

Sicilians can claim Roman heritage but Sardinians can?

Despite the fact that Sardinians alone made up 3/4 of the Roman navy of the western Med?

>Inb4 muh genetic autism

If we're going to use this retarded thought process then only Central italians can claim Roman heritage

Every country that was part of the Roman Empire can claim Roman heritage obviously, specially the ones that speak Romance languages. Sardinia is "Roman" in the sense that they speak the closest language to Latin. But if you want to talk about ethnicity then it's more complicated; southerners and Sicilians are a mix of Greeks, Italics and Albanians (Illyrians). Central Italians are a mix of Italics and Etruscans. Northerners are a mix of Italics, Celts and Rhaetians. Sardinians are special snowflakes with little relation to the people of the peninsula.

It isn't like Central Italians haven't been affected by later movements within and into Italy etc.

And I agree, it's retarded considering that the original Romans weren't even that numerous in the first place. Identities that end up spanning such big areas can barely be based on genetics for crying out loud, unless you're migrating around in basically empty territory (see the USA and even then white Americans have changed and mixed with new waves of immigrants from Europe).

The average person can think purely in terms of essentialism if they want but we're on a supposed board about history...