What's your opinion of colour blind casting in historical shows?

Here is a picture of Irish High King Brian Boru in an Irish show being played by a black Nigerian man.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YoOSGweEzNs
youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The term "Black Irish" was coined for a reason.

>people believe this

It's a standard for stage (good pleb filter for autistics on Veeky Forums), it's new for TV and film though, I'm in two minds

On the one hand I want romans to have a British accent, on the other I want them to speak Latin with English Sub, unfortunately I do not have the wealth to finance such a show

Lol op where did you even find such a thing?

Theatre is limited in other ways so I can hardly complain, but when you put hours and hours into designing a set black people will ruin the immersion unless we're in an islamic empire

Hahaha fukken lol did they have to give him straight hair he looks ridiculous

Hehehe they fucked up putting him in such an obvious wig

No problem with OP's pic given that it is just a nigger playing another kind of nigger.

WE

Oi baggorah dis is anti-irish racism tis another famine!!

Mods! Mods protect us from the vile nazis!

Go back to pol!

He is kind of pretty but they should at least have given him some facial hair kek

'Color-blind' only goes one way since you can't cast a white man as Mansa Musa.

RTÉ, the national television that everyone has to actually pay for

have another

youtube.com/watch?v=YoOSGweEzNs

Oh haha it's a theme is it?

And you HAVE to pay for this? Oh cultural Marxism is so fucking sick. They just delight in their own perversions.

it's that or they send their goons and you get a court summons or go to jail aye

state TV was a mistake

I don't even care anymore. I mean it's not as if they're even trying to get stuff historically accurate in the first place.

Haha and the sick fucks behind it know, they KNOW that it BOTHERS people and that's why they do it.

They do it to twist and needle at cultures all across the globe. And if you admit to feelind uncomfy or you don't WANT to watch your heroes get blacked they throw a shut down word at you.

It's so sick haha

>What's your opinion of colour blind casting in historical shows?
Not a thing. I'll believe they're actually casting colour blind when I see ahistorical black baddies and ahistorical white good guys. Oh, and asians being casted at all.

It's racism.

How many Asian monarchs are played non-Asians?

How many Sub-Saharan monarchs are played by non-blacks?

How many Australian Aborigines are played by non-Aborigines?

Yet we're supposed to accept this?

It's just a tv show

How interested in ancient Irish myth were you an hour ago before you saw the thread?

So don't trip out

>How many Egyptian monarchs are played non-Egyptians?
Almost all.
>How many Asian heroes are played by non-Asians?
A significant amount
>How many Native Americans are played by non-Natives?
Fucking loads
>How many Arabs are played by non-Arabs?
A lot in significant roles

ethnic characters played by white characters is stupid crap too, "they don't look right" is good enough a reason, scream racism all you want

I watched an old movie with a middle eastern sultan played by a mexican with a mexican accent. it was pretty funny. I guess people from the 50s just have no concept of the difference between mexicans and arabs.

It's just a tv show.
Why bother setting it in Ireland and giving them period clothes and swords?
Just give them a knife, jeans and a tshirt. Just film it from your backyard.

I'm not in the least bothered by this.

Fairy tales are liable to find depiction in any number of styles.

When it comes to a production, acting credentials > race. I'd rather have a better actor than one who looks like the person theyre portraying but if you can get both, that's great.

It's also a matter of is it a narrative or a documentary? Documentaries should strive to be as historically accurate as possible while narratives have leeway.

I'm even more incensed with the notion Brian Boru would have access to such a gold crown. RTE is largely shit desu, even Lenny Abrahamson called it totally ruined by mediocrity

This is also the time Ringo Starr played a fucking Mexican gardner with an absolutely awful Mexican accent.

Brian Boru was an historical figure you dolt, there was nothing mythological about him

Accurate representation of Connacht-niggers.

T. O'Neil

>colour blind casting
Top kek, like it's actually colour blindness and not shameless pandering.

No but let's be totally fair here: I don't give a shit if a polish movie has whites cast as non white characters. I don't give a shit if a nigerian movie has niggers cast as white characters. I don't care because it's convenient and familiar to the audience enough that they might not be bothered too much by the inconsistency.
I do give a shit if a polish movie has niggers cast as white characters, because there's no chance in hell that was either convenient for production nor familiar to the audience. It can only be shameless pandering.
OP's scenario, an irish produced movie, clearly falls into the shameless pandering category.

show name?

This
Also Gráinne Mhaol was a native american transwoman.

Bullshit. Shameless pandering and virtue signalling, OR just plain retardation.

For small theatre groups, you can argue that the limited number of actors will have to cover all the roles regardless of age or even sex.

But for film and television? If it were an original character, who cares. But a black high king of Ireland is just wrong.

are you implying the visual aspect of a show isn't important
having everyone be Irish and then throwing in a coal black Nigerian/Brit because you think he can act doesn't benefit the performance, it's ridiculous

Brian O'bamoru: Celtic Lean Sips

I've read a few books on it before. Seems like a stupid excuse for miscasting.

I think it's pretty obvious that Whites played characters of different races back then because there were no actors of the proper ethnic background at disposal at the time. There's no excuse to do that nowadays. It's just pandering.

Television is for morons anyway who gives a shit

As soon as they have the balls to cast a white man as MLK.

First, the question wasn't about this particular show it was about casting in general and that's what I'm answering.

Secondly, that's not what I implied at all. That said, I've worked in theater for a while so I'm used to casting restrictions leading to more diverse casting.

But again, somebody who looks the part and is a good actor > a good actor > somebody who looks the part. If the production is attempting to be historically accurate, then they should get somebody who fits the role. If not, I'd rather have a good actor.

>who gives a shit about the mob when we live under mob rule
the only reason there is no point giving a shit is because there is no way we can influence the outcome and it is a minor problem, that doesn't mean it is right though

> I'm used to casting restrictions leading to more diverse casting.
well I'm glad you're used to it but I don't particularly care for it

considering it's TRTÉ I can't imagine they had a particularly great pool of actors to choose from so I find it hard to believe this particular African gentleman was chosen by merit of anything but his skin colour to fill some weird quota RTÉ undoubtedly have

Way to not address his argument. Kill yourself.

Silly inclusion for the sake of inclusion. Same reason I dont expect Brian Blessed to play Shaka Zulu or Sun Yat Sen

It's an old tradition not unlike Medieval art of Latins, Saracens, and Blackamoors in contemporary costume and gear portraying ancient Israelites and Greeks.

Historical art is rarely meant for the sake of historical fact, and instead is there to flatter its contemporary audience and connect their society with those of the past. In this case that contemporary audience has an African immigrant minority who they believe should be treated as integrated equals in society.

It's no more ridiculous than seeing King David as a Danish knight or Atilla the Hun as a Golden Horde Khan.

>integrated equals
Exclusive pandering is the exact opposite of both integration (you're singling them out) and equality (you're giving them greater opportunities based on their minority status).
This "colour blind" (as if) casting is just virtue signalling at its finest.

It completely addressed his argument by answering his inane questions you bumfucker

Emma Stone got the part of the asian, and white people have played other races tons of times. Or look at Gods of Egypt. It goes both ways.

he'd make a good zhang fei tbqh

At some fucking point we have to stop saying them and us

>white people have played other races tons of times
Difference being that it's a white production for a white audience with a mostly white casting pool available.
Compare with casting the most likely only nigger actor in Ireland to play an irishman in an irish movie made by irishmen for irishmen.

Setanta was the original angry hood rat in The Tain, good call and great choreography.

I'm against it when its intent is Europhobic and revisionist in nature. Coming out of Hollywood that's most of the time. When it's just artistic license or due to having no other people available I don't really mind. OP's examples are things i'm against as their intent seems malicious.

Blacks in Ireland make up only 1.4% of the population. Asians make up more by a slight margin of 1.9%.

Brian Boru should have been Asian.

>I'm against it when its intent is Europhobic and revisionist in nature

OP's example is neither. You're retarded if you think there's an evil anti-white agenda behind have a black actor have the role.

Why have a Nigerian play an Irish king in a low budget Irish production? It makes no sense from an artistic or logistical standpoint and comes off as needless tacked on for the sake of diversity.

Whoah now let's not all pretend Europe hasn't been under the multi-cultural diversity is our strength meme for a decade.

For better or worse. Not that the casting choice was malicious in nature but it's clearly forced racial in nature

Favouring a group means disfavouring all others.
A pro nigger agenda can certainly be considered anti white. And anti yellow, etc.
A pro minorities agenda can certainly be considered anti majority.

>It makes no sense from an artistic or logistical standpoint and comes off as needless tacked on for the sake of diversity.

He looks kingly enough to fit the role. It's not like black actors don't exist in Ireland, and it's hardly "low budget."

Wat??

It's some pretty black boy in a bad wig

>He looks kingly enough to fit the role.
And no Irishman looks kingly enough? Ask yourself: What does having him in the role even offer the average Irishman?

I don't mind it on stage because they have far more license to do whatever they want. When TV does it they half ass it. They don't do anything with it. You can't make an Irish King black in an otherwise completely standard tv production.

>What does having him in the role even offer the average Irishman?

Just because they're a public company doesn't mean they're beholden to the Irish public. Art gratia artis. Also going on your line of thinking, how would casting an Irishman somehow be of more benefit to his countrymen?

>how would casting an Irishman somehow be of more benefit to his countrymen?
Gives somebodies family member a job and fame. National pride.

Because Brian Boru was an Irishman and this is Irish art made in Ireland for Irish people with Irish tax monies.

You're just playing devil's advocate.

Would fucc

We Bora Boru now

Oh look it's the cuckold poster being gross and edgy for effect

*yawns*

this Diversity is a reaction against racism, that is overwhelmingly the main motivation.

Leftists and SJWs would be BTFO in a heartbeat if the altright cut out memes like "diversity is white genocide" and just made plain logical arguments.

However neither of them want that, they both SJWs and altright feed off each other.

youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

>Diversity is a reaction against racism
Define "racism." Irish have every right to be nationalistic and ethnocentric.

>have a preference
>immediately beset by busy bodies trying to make you experience things you would prefer not to

>Reaction against SJWs gives them the enemy they so crave
No future

If it was a matter of national pride and "muh jobs" what's the difference between a black Irishman and a white Irishman in this situation.

This is an ugly can of worms. Imagine if Charlie Chaplin stayed in England because they thought thay only American people could be in American movies made for American people.

Humans are social creatures that socialize via the 5 senses.

That's all that video had to say.

Why is it always a Black?

They could any race, any ethnicity. No it HAS to be Black if male. 100% of the time.

I don't believe Nigerians are Irishman. Also this beats around the obvious fact that the only reason they did this was multicultural propaganda. If it was a Nigerian production about Ireland I wouldn't care. If I was Irish i'd be pissed my history was being portrayed like this. You may as well have a women play the king.

It's not a can of worms.

Did Charlie Chaplain play Uncle Tom? Or did he play Harriet Tubman?

In a nation of black people in content made for them?

At this point we're going in circles. You think the casting choice was BRAVE and PROGRESSIVE XD

We don't feel that way. We don't WANT A RACIAL LESSON IN ALL OUR MEDIA

Sometimes we just want to watch our own shit without someone else inserting their bullshit.

Making Irish King black is worm can opener. Maybe nobody is hurt by casting but it is so noticeably off and ahistorical it makes people think. People look for reasons and if they find one that they think needs to be opposed by muh Ireland for the Irish it's on diversity's head.

The Irish just got out from under the yoke of the British and they can't have a generation or two to sort themselves out before some bastard comes along to call them all racists

>being oppressed means you can't be racist

It all hinges on audience
Colour blind casting is perfectly fine in theater and pantomime because the audience is expected to suspend its disbelief in order for the medium by which the show takes place to work (i.e. painted backgrounds ect)
In TV it depends on the seriousness of the historical accuracy. If its loosely based off events then I personally think its fine, however if they painstakingly make it historically accurate in terms of set pieces and plot, only to deliberately cast someone of different ethnicity then it becomes a problem as it undermines all other aspects of the show.
Also I think people should black/white up for roles if they suit that particular role.

Deep derp

You're a racist bro. You are.

In the 50's they didn't have a bunch of fucking Arabs polluting their country so Arabs actors were hard to find.

>ancient egyptians werent white

I'm not going to watch it, but they're free to do what they want. Maybe he was the best actor available.

Irish mythology is very popular even the Japs love it and frequently use elements of it in their games and tv, but at least they respect that any character from Irish history or mythology should be a white person! lrish are literally the whitest people on Earth, it's just pathetic having a west African play their most famous King in a time when the only foreigner was an equally white Norseman.It's also telling Irish kids watching that hey your countries ancient heroes don't look like you, they look like the African kid sitting next to you in class.

Nah m8 am Irish, RTE has an agenda they also made Cu Chulainn a black man.

This is bait right

Colour blind is such a meme. I guess this guy was just great and he just happened to be black, no way they were trying to signal or anything.

God forbid a white person play Frederick Douglas

Why does hollywood only hire whites and nonwhites?

You literally cant. Racism is prejudice plus power. The irish have never been powerful except against potatoes

They were brown.

Kill yourself you baiting faggot.

Pretty convenient argument for colored racists

It's funny because this wouldn't be an issue if the SJWs hadn't unilaterally declared "blackface" to be racist. If they took the time to put the black actors in white makeup as would have been the natural theatrical method of dealing with "colorblind" casting, I doubt anyone other than the most hardcore bigot would care that a black man is playing an Irishman because the real complaint isn't that a cultural icon is being played by a foreigner, it's that the cultural icon is being depicted as a foreigner. A subtle but very important difference.