Mediterranean Looks

Is there any actual evidence that modern day Greeks, Italians, Spaniards, and Near Easterners don't look about the same as they did in Antiquity?

Other urls found in this thread:

dienekes.awardspace.com/articles/hellenes/
redheadmap.com/
nature.com/ejhg/journal/v25/n5/full/ejhg201718a.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

None.
Also "mediterranean looks" aren't a thing.
Near easterners don't look like greeks, nevermind like italian and spaniards.

Paintings and sculptures from that period.

Greeks have received some Slavic and Turkish admixture.
Italians have now a fair deal of Gothic, Lombard and Norman genes.
Spaniards are much more African, Jewish and Arabian than they were in Roman times.
Near Easterners have absorbed plenty of Arabian, African and Mongol DNA.

I'm probably missing some 'contributions'.

>tens of thousands of invaders having a noticeable genetic impact on millions of natives
Hasn't this meme been debunked by the recent genetic studies?

It's an Amerifat pretending the wipeouts the Redskins got from some plagues and fighting each other along with fighting Whitey goes for every other invasion.

>Doesn't show them

This

A lot of near easterners could pass as Greeks though

Prepare for swarms of conspiracy theorists posting decaying images of idealized and stylized people

Can confirm.

Been mistaken as a Greek by actual Greeks.

t. Iranian

dienekes.awardspace.com/articles/hellenes/

Ancient mobility is the norm, not the exception.

Italians acquired admixture during the Roman era since there was no social barrier to gene flow. Same for Greeks. Whether that means they look different or not is another question since they also were subject to gene flow from non-Mediterranean Europe.

>Italians have now a fair deal of Gothic, Lombard and Norman genes

So we wuz white? Don't know if I should take this as a compliment or not. Usually people say the opposite.

It can be tracked through y-chromosomes and mitochondrial dna

Romans probably looked more or less like northern Italians of today (southern italians got rape-babied by the arabs).

Light features among Italians aren't because of Germanic admixture. To my knowledge modern European race was begot from olive skinned, light eyed Anatolians mating with indigenous brown eyed, pale skinned Europeans. Southern Europeans likely always had a visible minority of light phenotype individuals just like Northern Europe has a visible minority of olive skinned individuals.

You got it backwards. Indigenous Europeans were very dark at least in southern and western Europe. They had very dark brown skin based on all we know about skin color genetics. They had light eyes though.

Light skin is an adaptation to agricultural life for the most part.

Southern Italy is hotter and sunnier than the North. Why is it so hard for people to understand that people in the Southern end of the peninsula there are organically darker than people in the North of the peninsula?

imo the sketch you posted doesn't look very dark brown.

It's an artistic reconstruction. Until we clone one we can't really know for sure how dark they were but they lacked the West Eurasian(SLC24A5) and European(SLC45A2) specific mutations for light skin which are responsible for the bulk of variation in skin color among Europeans and West Asians.

So they were considerably darker than the majority of Indians who have at least the West Eurasian one even if heterozygously.

they look pretty dark to me

Yes, the Romans were pretty much Black compared to Italians. They had dark skin, dark hair and dark hair. Sorry cracka but you ain't Black like them.

This

They look rather dark in a "tanned and hideously dirty" way, but they don't actually look brown. Perhaps it's the facial features.

Apollo was hung like a mosquito, how did he bag all those bitches.

handsome af

>(southern italians are greeks in disguise.)
FTFY

Roman ready to give his Gaul slave his BBC.

Do you do this all day?

Just be perverse and gross for effect all day? I imagine you old and used up smoking meth.

Just haunting people with your perversions

>Until recently, some papers suggested that the distribution of the main L haplogroups in North Africa was mainly due to trans-Saharan slave trade.[21] However, in September 2010, a thorough study of Berber mtDNA by Frigi et al. concluded that most of L haplogroups were much older and introduced by an ancient African gene flow around 20,000 years ago.[22]

>Theories from some studies propose to corroborate that the Lebanese trace genetic continuity with earlier inhabitants, regardless of their membership to any of Lebanon's different religious communities today. "The genetic marker which identifies descendants of the ancient Levantines is found among members of all of Lebanon's religious communities"

Pic related, reconstruction based on the body of a Carthaginian aristocrat.

I mean seriously analyze your posts.

You're like a rapist or a flasher.

I mean what kind of person has this shit saved just to wave around in public?

Seriously do you have loved ones?

He looks like Marouane Fellaini

Chill dude these are just pixels

>(southern italians are greeks in disguise.)

This too

>from greek colonies, inb4 muh Aeneas

Naw there are some really real sick fucks who post here

Just nasty

It's time to accept the Romans were Black, friend.

Pic related, Scipio AFRICANUS. Most famous Black Roman who defeated the Black Hannibal in Africa.

>muh Aeneas
Yes well, the Aeneid is pretty obvious julian propaganda. It's more about how divine the Julian line is than about the founding of Rome.
The actual foundation myth is Romulus and Remus, twin sons of a latin princess and the god Mars, not Aeneas.

Julius Caesar was Black too. He was said to have BLACK EYES and his bust is Black like Scipio's. 100% African.

>Romans probably looked more or less like northern Italians of today (southern italians got rape-babied by the arabs).
And northern Italians are Visigothic rape babies, Whats your point? they're probably look in between

>northern Italians are Visigothic rape babies
This is right about as false as the southerners are arab rapebabbies bullshit.

I mean fucking shit, there are actual studies about this stuff you know? The last meaningful change in the italian gene pool happened during the late bronze age, when the italics arrived in the peninsula and the greeks started their colonization of the southern coasts.

Why do you faggots forget central Italy exists? That's where the Latins were from. Central Italy is Tuscany, Umbria, Marche, Latium and sometimes Emilia-Romagna and Abruzzo.

>Why do you faggots forget central Italy exists?
Because it doesn't in this context. Genetically, they're mostly the same as northern italians.

I would guess southern Italians are different from the rest because of their lack of Indo-European blood and strong Greek and Albanian influences (read about the Messapians if you are confused about this one).

>hur dur Scipio was named Africanus because he was black
>it definitely wasn't a cognomen given as an honor after the second punic war because he conquered Africa

Race theory of Ancient peoples is a clusterfuck, and wasn't understood as it was today. Plutarch describes Cato the Elder as having red hair and grey eyes, and we have paintings of dark-skinned Romans. It was actually pretty ethnically mixed.

REDDISH hair, not red hair. I hate when people mix this shit up. "Sufflavus" doesn't mean "blonde" either because they never used that term to describe the hair color of northern barbarians.

Regardless, red hair is not that rare in Italy. I can see around 10 redheads in both of those collages:

Light eyes are common too. 30-34% of Italians are light eyed (blue, grey, green).

What is that map represting?

redheadmap.com/

Why does Finland look evil?
Dindu nuffin

It's must be depressing for Niggers that they don't have any civilizations to brag about like everybody else who isn't an Abbo. Egypt and Nubia don't count.

>t. Nordnigger

Duchy of Finland had been a part of Russian Empire until 1917.

Please share those studies.

Y chromosome is not that important in defining racial characteristics you know? Y chromosome studies don't prove that you are a member of a race, they just show which regions have what kind of distribution of Y chromosomes.

Ethnicity is a pretty recent construct, in old times no one had problems taking women from other tribes, they even took pride in doing that because they were "converting" people.

guy on the left looks stereotypically "white-white" (note the cheekbones and jaw)... guy on the right looks like an Arab

Played no role in WW1 though

>Italian athletes are not Italians

Really makes you think

Having looked through the pictures in this thread, my (obviously very tentative) conclusion is that the Mediterranean type of 2000 years ago no longer exists. The images show people who had northwest European-style bone structure (cheekbones and jaw) and what we now think of as Mediterranean hair and skin hue. I can't think of a people nowadays who look like this.

nature.com/ejhg/journal/v25/n5/full/ejhg201718a.html

You know that basically supports what I said right? 0.2 to 14.4% Slavic origin, they are refuting that Peloponnese were extinct and replaced.

That's 286 out of the 314 athletes that participated in the olympics. The ones that weren't included were people of foreign ancestry. They are from all over the country, so it's the real average of Italy. Sorry, but Italians aren't all swarthy Sicilians like American movies and series led you to believe.

>The German art historian, Winckelmann [16] discusses extensively the Greek beauty ideal. The low forehead, luxurious curly hair, straight nose in continuity to the nose, large eyes and ovoid faces described by the author are typical of Southern Europe, contrasting with the small eyes, high forehead, angular features and straight hair typical of more northern climes. Winckelmann observes the similarity of modern Greeks, particularly from the islands to the classical forms, relating in particular that the Greek women of Chios are the “most beautiful of the human race.”

>pol going we nords wuz romans n greekz

I think Near Easterners haven't changed too much. The Dura-Europos synagogue frescoes look more or less like modern day Near-East people.

And considering what we know from ancient dna samples of people from the yamna culture and neolithic farmers who were largely brown-eyed. It looks like some populations got lighter rather than darker.

Yes, there is little correlation between pigmentation and genetics. It has more to do with latitude. Light eyes and light hair get selected at a higher rate in colder climates because they are advantageous to those regions.

northcucks btfo

>this is pol

terroni niggers btfo

Why wouldn't they OP? As long as trade was there - so was the exchange of looks. They also live around the same alt/lat lines.

I don't think there's any reason that suggests North African and Low Europeans don't look the same. (excluding Egyptians, Middle East and Turks due to their nearness to Asia)

>guy on the left looks stereotypically "white-white"

Well, he's made of marble.

Italians, Greeks, Levantines, Egyptians, Northwest Africans, Anatolians, all pretty much looked the same as they do today.

>Italians, Greeks pretty much looked the same as they do today.

In short, Roman wuz white?

When you specifically limit yourself to a northern region, sure.

Except that these are egyptians, retarded nigger.

Except that's a 19th century French forgery, you retarded nigger.

Tuscany is central Italy. They are lighter than some northerners like Emilians and Ligurians though. Lightest people in Italy are Friulians, Trentini, Venetians, Aostans and Piemontese in that order though. Lombards are surprisingly dark despite the meme about them being Germanic.

Greeks have no Turkish mixture, that's a nordicuck meme . The reverse is true: some Turks have some Greek mixture

Greeks have always been swarthy though with a fair element as well. Nothing changed . Nordicucks need to die

Well i'm a Spaniard. I'm about 10% percent North African. My White Cuban friend is 15 percent Arabic and North African. And my Swedish and Spanish friend is 10 percent Berber as well. A significant amount of Andalusian Spaniards are partially Moorish. It's maybe not that noticeable because moors kind of look like southern Spaniards,

Wait wait wait. So what narrative is being pushed in this thread? We wuz whites? We invented errything?

Nice critical analysis lad

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDE WE FALL

-t /pol/

It's clearly nordcucks false flagging and blaming it on other races. As if you nord cucks couldn't get any lower.

>false flagging and blaming it on others
That's half of Veeky Forums on a regular basis, unfortunately.

Good cringe material

>It's an "American thinks Europe's Nationalists = White Nationalism when most of Europe's Nationalists stop at their own countries." episode.

Lads, lads, most of the pics posted here, show the men being much darker than the women, this is a tradition dating back to minoan times, the minoans did it on purpose, bear in mind that. Not disproving that they were indeed brown, which i don't mind, im not a nordcuck.

t. studied art history

This, hearing about white nationalism makes me cringe so hard, most of the time "White nationalism" is celtic crosses, mixed with Scandinavian paganism and muh blue eyes bullshit that pisses me off to no end.

Fuck you though lol

100 years ago Irish and Italians weren't real Americans yet lol. Catholic shitbag foreigners.

Then +++dark people+++ started calling everyone lighter than they were white.

It stuck. And those Italians and Irish people? They never bought or owned no slaves for the most part.

But in 2017 everyone lighter than a darky in America is too white.

It's bogus

Aristotle actually specifically comments on women having much lighter skin than men, so it wasn't just artistic license.

>Too black a hue marks the coward, as witness Egyptians and Ethiopians, and so does also too white a complexion, as you may see from women. So the hue that makes for courage must be intermediate between these extremes. A tawny colour indicates a bold spirit, as in lions... A pale hue signifies cowardice, for that is the colour one turns in terror.

Did those the women do hard labor outside in the sun?