Aside from being aesthetic as fuck, how effective was scale mail compared to lamellar?

Aside from being aesthetic as fuck, how effective was scale mail compared to lamellar?

>scale mail
>aesthetic as fuck
Not sure about that.

Probably less. You can stab through scale mail by stabbing upwards through the plate connections; lamellar is layered in a way that makes it less vulnerable to stabs. There's a reason lamellar was more popular, particularly in later periods (where it actually replaced scale armor).

>no padding on the helmet
>united maile
>Manlet axe
VIKANZ BTFO

Because it was easier to replace user

Chainmail is still used today, plate armor isnt

platefags btfo

Rather plain looking gotta be honest. I think I've seen some lamellar armor with cool embroidery somewhere, lemme find it.

Lamellar deflects arrows better than chain-mail. In Asian missile warfare, I'd take lamellar. In European melee, I'd have chain.

what are kevlar vests

Is this lamellar armor or nah?

is there even any evidence for scale mail outside of dnd? I know scale armour but scale mail?

In Europe scale armor was common after the Crisis of the Third century till slightly after the Carolingian renaissance. Before and after that period which we usually call late antiquity, the migration age or the dark ages mail was preferred.

Something tells me people went for mail over scale if it was available.

Plated mail, Lindymeme made a video on it for what it is worth

No looks like 4 mirror armour used by the mughals

Plated mail was in use from the Philippines to India and the Ottoman empire.

For bullets yeah. Chain mail is used for knife/hatchet attacks

The guy is literally wearing a plate helmet isn't he?

>scale
>lamellar
What the fuck are you talking about?

>scale MAIL
>MAIL
holy fuck my dude how many layers of historical ignorance are you on right now?

>plate armor isn't used
wew lad

This armor is apparently made from animal horns fyi

>scale mail
Scales can be attached to mail, my retarded friend.

>people using the term "mail" for anything other than chainmail
>unironically believing that scale armor was a thing
>unironically believing plate armor has been phased out

Fuck, the absolute STATE of this board

Scales weren't used in medieval armor
And you know full well he's using "scale mail" to refer to the retarded fantasy armor in the OP pic, just like other retards unironically use the term "plate mail" etc.

>when you're so retarded that you think scales were never used in armor

What did he mean by this?

That's not scale though.

>cut the exposed string
>scale falls off
>stab through hole
what now

That picture shows lamallar armor in which every individual piece is held at four points. You'd need to cut all four for a single one to come loose

considering retards like think lamellar never happened, I'll accept a mislabeled picture

they still study full plate harness when designing things like space suits, modern body armor, and diving suits.

Butchers still use both forms

he's wearing a plate carrier, mate

>I made a graph therefore its factual

The civil war had very little to do with slavery

>stupid people detected

What the fuck are you on, Scale and Lamellar armor are two different fucking things.

Lamellar tends to be linked all together while scales just hang down.

The civil war did have little to do with slavery , Lincoln was even willing to keep slavery if the South was willing to not Secede. It had to do with sectionalism

>Reddit detected

Go LARP about Jared Diamond somewhere else

>this is what dixiefags actually believe

What's the purpose of a a chain mail apron ?

to help prevent accidents with cleavers and other sharp objects a butcher works with

Bullshit, I bet unsanctioned underground gladiator-butcher matches are what they're for.

I mean why would it? You could make plates to attach to the mail instead of looking like an idiot or am I wrong here? Scale mail just seems like a downgrade in every way.

You sound like an autist, if you're able to actually hack away at the strings he's dead anyway, its not like he's just going to stand there and let you go after him with a pair of scissors.
Obviously it has reliability issues over a length of time, but it wouldn't be that stupid.

That makes sense but I can't really picture too many scenarios where that would happen.

>haha not like the conflict happened because southerners were buttblasted they couldn't spread slavery to new states

You don't have to worry about arrows at all with maille you moron. Period bows struggled to hurt the Crusaders, with them looking like pincushions. In one battle the Crusaders even used their armored bodies to protect civilians and poor soldiers against Turk archers. The Turks riddled them with arrows and barely killed any of them, remarking that they were "made of iron".

>lamellar over mails
Never

That's lamellar moron.

it's locking scale.

not to get cut

Is that actually roman

This is absolute bullshit. The willingness doesn't change, it's what forum you use to talk about on it.

Take someone that's a professional a law, they may be discussing it on Veeky Forums but it doesn't at any point are restricted to Veeky Forums but to other places as well, such as the forums at professional journal, conferences and the like.

Lorica Plumata?

its understandable that a butcher would wear protecting gloves because his hands are close to where the knife is cutting stuff, the table. So cutting of a finger while your chopping bits of meat is a probability.

But how on earth would someone handing a knife on a table, cutting meat, be able to hit themselves on the chest or stomach?

I'm serious, this got me really curious and I've searched over Google to no avail.

Secession happened because of slavery but not the civil war itself. That happened because the North refused to vacate forts the South claimed as part of their sovereign land.

"Scale" armor doesn't real, you absolute fuckingn morons

If you hear something on Veeky Forums and then go around repeating it without checking to see if it's actually true first, then you belong on Mt Stupid.

Maybe if they slipped cutting the meet or something. You know, cutting inward and they end up cutting through the meat and having it go towards their gut.

Hey moron, at least read the thread before shitposting in it.
Thanks for using a trip, consider yourself filtered.

Cutting back towards yourself on a table or back and away from a hanging carcass.

You would either have to slip, or misread the meat and have the knife come out way too hard to manage to hit yourself so I doubt that level of fuckup is going to be on youtube.

Even still I'm guessing only the high speed, high volume, low experience, meat packing guys are going to be wearing these.

I'd imagine if you tried stabbing though scale mail the blade would just get caught in the chains below and it wouldn't even penetrate the gambeson that you'd inevitably be wearing. In terms of melee combat, wouldn't scale mail just be chain mail with better deflective properties?

I literally have a plate carrier sitting next to me. The plate covers an area akin to what a pectoral would, and I could easily upgrade to add shoulder and side plates if I wanted.

And yes, it'll stop knives and hatchets.

Wrong.

>chains
Now consider that most armor would be held together with cord.

fuck you those are examples of lamellar armor you absolute cuck
why in the everloving fuck would anyone use a type of armor that could be rendered completely ineffective by simply thrusting a point upward from below the wearer.

You have to imagine an abbatoir where there is a lot of heavy and dangerous equipment (bandsaws on swinging arms for example), some workstations that necessitate drawing the knife downwards (risk of dislodging towards the body) very fast throughput of carcasses. It's not like a butcher's where one can take time breaking up a carcass, you have individual workstations doing a single task (the meniality adds to injury risk) very quickly.

>post many images of examples of scale armor from the Romans to the Poles
>HURR DAT NO COUNT!!!11! SKAL ARM IS DUM, I ARE EXPERT!!11!

Welp, I've done the Amazon one.

completely ineffective by simply thrusting a point upward from below the wearer.
Try to do that against cavalryman.

My throwing axe has a bigger head...but that armour is THICC

Can I live in your time line?

depends on the make - more links = more protection

also smaller blades, eg stiletto, gladius, etc, were all designed as to get through the links of chainmail with ease

lorica squamata, used in the eastern roman empire

it's for malfunctioning circular saw or bandsaw rather than a knife

lel mail is one of the plainest armor type there is, it's fucking boring.