Dude its all a metaphor lmao it didnt actually happen like this DUDE ur not supposed to take everything literally

>dude its all a metaphor lmao it didnt actually happen like this DUDE ur not supposed to take everything literally
Why would you write in metaphors though? Why not just spout out the simple truth? Why couldn't God just inspire prophets and Jesus to say things in a simple, accessible way?

Other urls found in this thread:

patheos.com/blogs/atheology/2016/04/what-does-it-mean-to-take-the-bible-as-metaphor/
youtu.be/DtiRzQMgBDM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably because the whole literal-metaphor dichotomy didn't exist at the time.

What you're reading in Genesis is basically a mixture of what is meant to be literal and poetic. The two hadn't been seperated and wouldn't be for millenia to come

Who cares about what existed at the time though? God could've written it anyway he wanted it to knowing how the future would be.

How do you know He didn't?

I don't. I just don't understand why the specifics of the time would be a limitation.
On an age where everything is accessible and easy to understand, one would've expected God to say something.

>The narrative in Genesis is not written in a literary style proper to allegory, as in the Song of Songs, but from beginning to end in a style proper to history, as in the Books of Kings and the other works of that type

>dude why did Virgil write this thing that was like so similar to Homer and clearly fake
>dude why did the Nazis use the Teutons in propaganda when they arrested actual Teutonic Knights

I don't understand what you're trying to imply here.

That Genesis is a creation myth that may or may not have been real to help unite the Jews together, like how the Aenead was suppoused to unite the romans after 3 civil wars

That hardly matters when you're talking about Christianity.
I posted a pic of the Genesis story but I could've picked any other one, I just meant how the Bible is filled with metaphors that you're supposed to get the meaning. It's Christians themselves who say the Bible was wrote by prophets inspired by God, as if God Himself had written it.
Meanwhile we have had wars over the interpretations of what the Bible means that could've simply been avoided by having it been written more clearly.
I don't understand it.

>Christians meme
Catholics see it as divinely inspired and best kept in the original language, why does it matter what the broken branches think

Catholics have been in those wars though.
If things were written clearly there would be no room for argument.

source? i can only find a similar quote here:

patheos.com/blogs/atheology/2016/04/what-does-it-mean-to-take-the-bible-as-metaphor/

but no source is provided.

We write poetry in reaching to express higher concepts than allowed by ordinary, mundane, plain-old straight-n-narrow English.

Juxtaposition and wordplay elevates feeling.

Read Maps of Meaning

Narratio quippe in his libris non genere locutionis figuratarum rerum est, sicut in Cantico canticorum, sed omnino gestarum est, sicut in Regnorum libris et huiuscemodi caeteris.

De Genesi ad litteram, 8.1.2

That's the thing I find so amusing now that I'm an atheist. You'd think there would be SOME sorts of scientific or medical advancements in the Bible if this information comes from god. And if god does exist, yet he gives us no material help that could ease our pain and help us to think more logically, than I would consider him evil.

Mythological texts like the Bible aim for a very high level of precision in their language compared to what you could get with a merely literal description. Symbolical language can encompass more facets than literal, much less (((scientific))), language. Unfortunately the kind of scientific and philosophical jargon we usually depend on to explain things is very limited and hardly capable of furnishing an explanation even for the most simple of phenomena.

>Catholics see it as divinely inspired and best kept in the original language
Actually Catholics prefer to read it in Latin translation. Neither the Old nor the New Testament were originally composed in Latin.

lol, take your racist trash back to /pol/

beautiful artwork

>Peterson
>racist

Are you daft?

Ooh, stop
With your feet in the air and your head on the ground
Try this trick and spin it, yeah
Your head will collapse
But there's nothing in it
And you'll ask yourself

Where is my mind
Where is my mind
Where is my mind
Way out in the water
See it swimmin'

>dude its a metaphor
>but it means this exact thing and you have to follow church/rabbinic dogma while reading it

Why is theology so full of it?

This video sent my fedora into orbit. It still doesn't vindicate evangelicals, and all the retards who use the bible to justify their perverse worldly goals, but it presents the bible in a way that I personally find more enjoyable and useful than other interpretations.

youtu.be/DtiRzQMgBDM

Of course I forget the link.

>Why couldn't God just inspire prophets and Jesus to say things in a simple, accessible way?

Because spoon-feeding is for children. God gave you brains to use them. If the Bible is too difficult, go read easier books until you've leveled up.

>Adam and Eve didn't really exist
>Jesus is a descendant of Adam and Eve

Uh oh.

>I speak to them in parables

>What is exegesis?

Can we stop with this metaphor meme? Come back when you actually read the biblical text properly than just making these terrible postmodern interpretations and thinking it would be passed off by anyone with some knowledge in this field.

It was literal and when that no longer worked that changed it to metaphorical. Religion just changes to fit with the times. If it doesn't you get things like Islam and American Christians who think the world is 6000 years old.

Well I think it is really a clash between fundamentalists and liberal Christians. I think liberals will often say that parts are only metaphor because they struggle to believe that it is real or even don't want it to be real.
I myself will argue that if God is all powerful then anything is possible for him. When God created the world perhaps he also created logic and the laws of nature, if so then it might help explain miracles.
The problem with Genesis is there seems to be two creation stories that differ slightly.

There are things in th bible like Ezekiel bread which you can live on soley for a very long time.

I know it's hard to believe, but the Bible is metaphorical. It was designed to be believed literally by the common man since they are generally stupid and it keeps them morally in line, while people interested and intelligent enough for priestly studies understood the truth through symbolism and mentorships which allowed them to enter secret orders. The elaborate education showed them the mysteries of God which cannot be taught outright, and also allowed for authorities to investigate the initiate to see if he was doing it for true Divine wisdom (Ascention) and not the manupulation of peoples/systems. Secret orders traditionally had advanced techniques such as hypnotism, and other mental techniques that could bring people great power, so they were careful.

This is not to say that there weren't any corrupt religious organizations, but it takes a years of study to find the truth, and only a handful are meant for the task each generation.

>What is the word of god?

Can we stop with this interpretation meme? Come back when you actually read the biblical text properly than just making these terrible medieval interpretations and thinking it would be passed off by anyone who was a shepherd in the Levant 2800 years ago.

>There are things in th bible like Ezekiel bread which you can live on soley for a very long time.
Can you? I'm pretty sure you'd get sick and die since it had to be baked in human or (if you've never touched anything unpure, cow) excrement.

>The son of Solomon was Rehoboam, Abijah his son, Asa his son, Jehoshaphat his son, oram his son, Ahaziah his son, Joash his son, Amaziah his son, Azariah his son, Jotham his son, Ahaz his son, Hezekiah his son, Manasseh his son, Amon his son, Josiah his son. The sons of Josiah: Johanan the firstborn, the second Jehoiakim, the third Zedekiah, the fourth Shallum. The descendants of Jehoiakim: Jeconiah his son, Zedekiah his son; and the sons of Jeconiah, the captive: Shealtiel his son, Malchiram, Pedaiah, Shenazzar, Jekamiah, Hoshama and Nedabiah; and the sons of Pedaiah: Zerubbabel and Shimei; and the sons of Zerubbabel: Meshullam and Hananiah, and Shelomith was their sister; and Hashubah, Ohel, Berechiah, Hasadiah, and Jushab-hesed, five. The sons of Hananiah: Pelatiah and Jeshaiah, his son Rephaiah, his son Arnan, his son Obadiah, his son Shecaniah. he son of Shecaniah: Shemaiah. And the sons of Shemaiah: Hattush, Igal, Bariah, Neariah, and Shaphat, six. The sons of Neariah: Elioenai, Hizkiah, and Azrikam, three. The sons of Elioenai: Hodaviah, Eliashib, Pelaiah, Akkub, Johanan, Delaiah, and Anani, seven.

*skips a dozen pages ahead*

>Jeiel the father of Gibeon lived in Gibeon, and the name of his wife was Maacah. His firstborn son: Abdon, then Zur, Kish, Baal, Nadab, Gedor, Ahio, Zecher, and Mikloth (he fathered Shimeah). Ner was the father of Kish, Kish of Saul, Saul of Jonathan, Malchi-shua, Abinadab and Eshbaal; and the son of Jonathan was Merib-baal; and Merib-baal was the father of Micah. The sons of Micah: Pithon, Melech, Tarea, and Ahaz. Ahaz fathered Jehoaddah, and Jehoaddah fathered Alemeth, Azmaveth, and Zimri. Zimri fathered Moza. Moza fathered Binea; Raphah was his son, Eleasah his son, Azel his son. Azel had six sons, and these are their names: Azrikam, Bocheru, Ishmael, Sheariah, Obadiah, and Hanan. All these were the sons of Azel. The sons of Eshek his brother: Ulam his firstborn, Jeush the second, and Eliphelet the third.

>metaphor

This is like saying the Iliad had to be taken literally because it also contains long lists of names.

The Iliad should be taken literally, even if it doesn't describe real events.

A food that you can solely live off of is not exactly a medical or mental advancement. But even if it was a helpful and great advancement, did the Bible say that god showed them how to make it? Or did they make it themselves?

> the Bible is metaphorical. It was designed to be believed literally by the common man since they are generally stupid and it keeps them morally in line

Why not instead have some sort of simple logic training, or simply tell the truth in a semi understandable way so that they can become smarter and understand it for themselves? Even if they didn't understand it at first, maybe it will progress them towards logical and methodical thinking. Instead you are saying only the stupid will believe literally what the Bible says, so in some way isn't the Bible story a sort of lie towards the stupid? Why not write a story that can be understood by everyone as it's meant to be? If god is all powerful and all knowing than he should be able to do that.

>while people interested and intelligent enough for priestly studies understood the truth through symbolism and mentorships which allowed them to enter secret orders

If you can show me a part in the old testament where any part of the creation story is said that it should be taken metaphorically and not literally than maybe I'll change my mind, but I don't think I have ever seen anything like that. Even Jesus in the NT talks about Adam and Eve as if they were literal.