What wars do you find the most interesting Veeky Forums?

What wars do you find the most interesting Veeky Forums?

Greco-Persian wars are comfy

>Greco-Persian wars
Teach me about them

Napoleonic Wars

Why?

> 30 years war
>ww1
>ww2

>finding WWII interesting
>2017

Second Punic War (clash of the Western Mediterranean titans)
Spanish Civil War (that ideological component)

The cities of Ionia had been under foreign rule for about six decades or so, following their conquest by Lydia and then the conquest of Persia over Lydia, which brought them under the rule of the Achaemenids. The Persians had felt that ruling by simply supporting the aristocracy (which was their MO) was too tumultuous for the Greeks, so they sponsored Tyrants to directly rule each city. In 500, the tyrant from Miletus Aristagoras had been approached by some exiles from the island of Naxos, which had recently overthrown its government, and asked him to help them win over the island. Aristogoras went to the satrap of Lydia Artaphernes, who sent a messenger to Darius and got approval to invade Naxos in 499 with a massive fleet. The invasion was a debacle (possibly from a falling out between Aristagoras and Megabates, the Persian commander), so Aristagoras tried to get the other Ionian cities to revolt against Persian rule, beginning the Ionian Revolt. Aristagoras declared Miletus a democracy (which was obviously a farce) and first turned to Sparta for support, but they rejected him so he went to Athens, which also spoke Ionic Greek. A fleet from Athens and Eretria sailed to Ephesus in 498 and marched on the satrapal capital of Sardis, which they burned to the ground. The Persians, holed up in the citadel, managed to resist the Greeks and the Greek army retreated to Ephesus, where the Persians had amassed an army that promptly defeated the demoralized Greeks. Athens pulled out of the rebellion, but the rest of Ionia was already in revolt. Darius sent three of his son-in-laws, Dariuses, Otanes, and Hymaees, to put down the rebellion. Dariuses travelled to the Hellespont and captured most of the cities there in quick succession in 497. Hymaees went deep inland to Bithynia and captured one city, but died shortly after in 497. Otanes and Artaphernes campaigned in Ionia and Aeolia, and Aristagoras fled to Thrace, where he died during a campaign.

How many peeps died?

falklands

WW1 (especially the more obscure fronts, like the Pacific)
First Indochina War
Algerian War
Rif War
Spanish-American War
Filipino-American War
Ottoman wars in the Mediterranean
The Crusades
The Punic Wars
The Peleponnesian War
R8 my list

666/10

I'd like to know more about the First Indochina War and the Filipino-American war

the cold war

Around 496 or 495, the Carians in south Lydia also revolted, and Dariuses sent his army southwards towards them. At first the Carian campaign was successful, but at the battle of Pedasus the Persian army under Dariuses was wiped out and Dariuses himself died. With Aristagoras and Dariuses dead, the mainland revolt was basically over. Aristagoras's uncle Histaeus, who was in the Persian capital as an advisor to Darius, managed to move back to Ionia and hopped around the islands before going to Byzantium. The Persian fleet attacked the Greek fleet at the island of Lade near Miletus and soundly defeated the Greeks, after which they took Miletus and killed every adult man and enslaved everyone else, repopulating the city with other people. Histaeus tried to sail from Byzantium in 493 and restart the revolt, and he first destroyed the fleet of Chios and laid siege to Thasos, but abandoned the siege quickly after. He attempted to invade Ionia but was soundly defeated and was taken prisoner by Artaphernes. He had Histaeus impaled and sent his embalmed head to Darius.
Hard to say, there aren't good sources (Herodotus is notorious for his exaggeration) but if we take his word for it, there were heavy losses, with the Carian campaign alone costing around 40,000 lives (not to mention the burning of Sardis and the enslavement of Ephesus).

This was the first direct military contact between the Persians and the Greeks and the Greeks did pretty poorly, compared to their later success. This may be because it was a lot of sieges, and the main infantry on infantry conflict was led by carians, not Greeks, but even the Greek navy failed utterly at Lade.

Tulsa race riots

nice pick.

I'm gonna be lame and go with world war two though cos of the scale, intensity, new techs, and just the general over the top-ness of the entire exercise. Never again will we see tank battles or aerial bombardments(not counting Laos which was mainly just jungle) on those sorts of scales.

WWII is great and all, I just can't find it interesting anymore, I blame overexposure

War of the Insane.

A lot of us got into history because of WW2 so at this point we can't really be too bothered by it.

R8 my list
The wars in Chechnya
The Yugoslav wars
Mexican Drug War

All pretty recent.

Seven Years' War

WW2

Napoleonic Wars

Thirty Years' War

Spanish Civil War

Carlist Wars

>A lot of us got into history because of WW2
Too many people for my taste. Not that guy, but I can't tell you how many times I talk to a "history buff" who is just a WW2 fanatic. Literally nothing interesting to say to such a person.

`Nam , Rhodesian Bush War, Various Cold War Guerilla Wars, 1932 Constitutionalist Revolution,1924 Tenentista Revolution, Spanish Civil War, Mexican Revolution

Korean War too

that wasn't a real war with guns and stuff, but with talking like gay people do

>The Punic Wars (all three)

>American Revolution

>American Civil War

>WWI

>WWII

WWII

Call me a normie all you want

Looked into this.

Holy shit lol

English Civil Wars/Wars of the Three Kingdoms
Nez Perce War
Mexican-American War
Eastern Front in WW2
Chinese Civil War
Mongol invasions
Portuguese Colonial War
Angolan Civil War
Iran-Iraq War
Roman-Persian Wars
The Qianlong Emperor's Ten Great Campaigns
Mahdist War
Mormon Wars
Caucasian War
Basmachi Movement/Uprising in Russian Turkestan

200lb wooden shrapnel cannon bby

Yeah saw that. They made their own flintlocks too like wth

>Rif War
That'd be a 10/10 from me
Tell me what you think of the Makhzen and VI (current one)

R8 my list

>Napoleonic Wars

>American Civil War

>Vietnam War

>Punic Wars

>Seven Years' War

>Thirty Years' War

>WWI

>Russian Civil War

>Soviet–Afghan War

>Second Sino-Japanese War

>Taiping Rebellion

>Korean War

The Liberian civil war.
Freed slaves enslaving the natives.
General Butt Naked leading his troops naked except for boots and a gun because he believed that nakedness would protect them from bullets.
And then the child sacrifices before every battle and the cannibalism...
Child soldiers raping and killing people.

Caucausian Wars from 1828-1928
Soviet-Afghan War
Russian Civil War
WW1, especially the caucausian front
Vietnam War
Sino-Vietnam War
Sino-Jap Wars
Russo-Turkish Wars

R8 List

the tyranical ones

>Soviet-Afghan War
8.3/10