What does Veeky Forums think about Maoris?

What does Veeky Forums think about Maoris?

Did they do anything wrong? Compared to other natives the relationship between settelers and Maori was quite good, why was this

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tūmatauenga
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_massacre
celticnz.co.nz/
betweentwocultures.com/2017/02/20/review-this-horrid-practice-the-myth-and-reality-of-traditional-maori-cannibalism/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriori
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunuku-whenua
youtube.com/watch?v=CsTqvrgPOHE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Settlers*

Their mythology is metal as fuck.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tūmatauenga

This guy taught humanity everything they know, by being a total asshole. I like the suggestion that mankind were placed on Earth to be a fucking blight and ruin everything for everyone.

>Did they do anything wrong?
Look up the moriori and what happened to them.
SPOILERS: the moriori were an extremely pacifist tribe that separated itself from the maori. After a while, the maori went to the moriori lands, killed/enslaved/ate them all.

The Moriori were actually Maoris themselves, or an offshoot of them at least. Weird how cannibal warrior chiefdoms could make a complete turn around into egalitarian pacifists like that. They were too good for this world.

>Hey let's give love and peace a shot, forget about these violent savages and try to coexist
This sounds relevant to modern issues, but I can't quite place my finger on why..

It's more like they were isolated and didn't have enough land for agriculture, so it was basically just a tiny community of hunter gathers who all knew each other and decided murdering each other over family feuds was retarded. Stop trying to shove politics into everything.

They have a pretty cool relationship with the white people that settled there. They seem to not care about "cultural appropriation" as long as people are respectful.

>based on
>the source below the chart doesn't contain the chart
tard

but i agree the part about 'they were *the group* themselves or an offshoot' is entirely correct

>wife should obey husband
>This is a bad thing becuz muh womynz rights
Fuck off to reddit

>my feet hurt
>this rock is too damp
>I wish I was back at the mission station

Aren't these the same people that rape their children out of tradition?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_massacre

>not being sexist makes you reddit

They were cannibal savages but no, they didn't "do" anything to deserve being colonized. On the other hand, they're still around and undoubtedly better off under modern New Zealand than they were under their own chiefs. Less likely to be killed and eaten, certainly.

Why do you act like cannabalism is some horrible attrocity that you would hate to happen to you

It was ritualistic in nature, they did it for mana. They didn't eat people alive and what's better being killed them buried or being killed then eatin, both are the same

The question wasn't of they deserved to be colonized bit why was the colonization so smooth and peaceful compared to a lot of other natives.

Some of the most notable cheifs wishes for peace between settlers and didn't mind them living in New Zealand. Maoris weren't just savages and the attitudes of the Maoris differed significantly between tribes

Sorry for typos, I'm on my phone

>They didn't eat people alive
Soutce?

The source is any source about cannabalism with the Maori.

The eaten were always killed in war or killed before hand

>get in argument with kiwi Polack
>He thinks moriori were the original natives and they had red hair

They were ethnically Maori lmao

This is like basic knowledge about the Maori. It's like asking for a source that Knights rode into battle on horseback.

>Why do you act like cannabalism is some horrible attrocity that you would hate to happen to you

What? Uh, because it IS horrific and barbaric, and I WOULD hate it to happen to me?

>It was ritualistic in nature, they did it for mana.

So? If I rape you to death, but not because I enjoy rape but because I believe it will give me super-powers, you'd be fine with that, would you? You'd describe a nation who habitually raped people to death for this woowoo reason as "perfectly normal" would you? Now imagine that instead of rape, I kill and then eat you. Suddenly, this is fine in your eyes? Unbelievable.

The internet allows one to substantiate any ideological bias.

celticnz.co.nz/

Except they didn't kill you for the sake of eating you, but for the sake of killing you. If they're going to kill you, do you really give a shit if they eat you afterwards?

Why would it be horrible for you? You would be dead

If yoi rape me while I'm dead for mana then sure, my point is once you are dead your body is just rotting tissue and whatever happens to it is meaningless

>They didn't eat people alive

So they were slightly less savage than the Fijians? Some claim!

And the idea that they only ate those who fell in battle is bullshit, since women and children were the preferred food, and since captives were kept specifically to be slaughtered and eaten.
>[Touai, a New Zealand chief who was brought to London in 1818 and resided there for a long time, becoming ‘almost civilized’] confessed in his moments of nostalgia that what he most regretted in the country from which he was absent was the feast of human flesh, the feast of victory. He was weary of eating English beef; he claimed that there was a great analogy between the flesh of the pig and that of man. This last declaration he made before a sumptuously served table. The flesh of women and children was to him and his fellow-countrymen the most delicious, while certain Maories prefer that of a man of fifty, and that of a black rather than that of a white. His countrymen, Touai said, never ate the flesh raw, and preserved the fat of the rump for the purpose of dressing their sweet potatoes...

>Implying the whites were not writing sensational views on some unknown tribal race

In for instance the boyd massacre they spared a little girl and young boy and treated them well

>Except they didn't kill you for the sake of eating you, but for the sake of killing you

This is a lie. They notoriously dug up graves to eat the dead, and they ate ANYONE who died, not just people they killed in combat.
>How numerous sometimes these war captives were may be judged by the fact that when Hongi returned from his raid on the southern tribes he brought back 2,000 prisoners to the Bay of Islands. One of the latest cannibal feats of consequence was held at Ohariu, near Wellington, when 150 of the Muaupoko tribe went into the ovens. When the Maoris overcame the gentle Morioris of the Chatham Islands, not only did they keep the captives penned up like live-stock waiting to be killed and eaten, but one of the leading chiefs of the invaders ordered a meal of six children at once to be cooked to regale his friends.

If you're going to accuse captain Cook of lying you'd better have evidence, since historians generally accept him as extremely unbiased.

The more advanced culture has always made sensational writings like this

The Gauls were very advanced but the Romans wrote of them as if they had no morals, one could argue of the moral superiority the Gauls had over the Romans who were often very barbaric

They're usually really friendly and bro as fuck, way better than aboriginals.

>The principal part of the prisoners that day were cripples, women and children; the remainder making their escapes as well as their weak state would allow them (they had been besieged for a considerable time). A party of the enemy were employed in despatching as many as would be sufficient for the evening’s meal; their slaves getting the ovens ready, and the remainder went in search of more prey, which they found to the number of twelve hundred.
>On the 23rd, they commenced the slaughter of the prisoners that were taken alive. They were crammed into huts, well guarded, the principal chief executioner, with a sharp tomahawk in his hand, ready to receive them. They were then called out one by one. Those that had well carved or tattooed heads had their heads cut off on a block, the body quartered and hung upon fences that were erected for the purpose. Those with indifferent heads received one blow, and were then dragged to a hole to bleed. The young children, and grown-up lads, were cut down the belly and then roasted on sticks before the fires.
>I have, since this bloody deed was committed, paid a visit to the fatal spot to view the remains of this horrid carnage. Within several miles in all directions, are placed in the ground pieces of wood, painted red, as a memorial of the spot where those that that were left behind had some friend or relative slain. On advancing nearer, is a heap of bones, since burned, as near as I can imagine of about 300 persons. Thence to about a quarter of a mile are skeletons, not burned, strewed about the place where the enemy had formed their settlements, and the ovens still remaining where they had been cooked.

Nigger I am Maori and my grandfather had a traditional Maori upbringing

Cannabalism wasn't some passtime that Maoris craved, it was a act of spirituality

Yeah I'm sure someone white guy who just discovered new Zealand can accurately wrote about Maori culture. It's just like how Aboriginals are Neanderthal and eat their children out of the whomb

>one could argue of the moral superiority the Gauls had over the Romans

No doubt you think the cannibal savages of New Zealand were "morally superior" to the Europeans who outlawed the practice of taking captives to eat.

Post sensational writings all you want, it doesn't make it true.

Try not believing every single historical writing you read and look more into the recorded events or claims by the ACTUAL maori

Westerners often came up with outlandish claims to justify colonization

I don't believe you. You're just a SJW cunt who is sad that his favorite pet nigger race was as savage and inhuman as anything that crawls upon the Earth.
>On our side, there were eight men killed, three children, and two women, during the siege. They got sixteen bodies, besides a great number that were half roasted, and dug several up out of the graves, half decayed, which they also ate. Another instance of their depravity was to make a musket ramrod red hot, enter it in the lower part of the victim’s belly and let it run upwards, and then make a slight incision in a vein to let his blood run gradually, for them to drink.

Who were the ones that wiped out the native Americans

I'm not saying Maoris were more moral but I am saying the British had an unfair view on natives and this affected their writings and actions

And yet not a single reference to this kind of cannibalism among native Americans was recorded. Funny that, it's almost as if they didn't record it when it didn't happen, but recorded it when it did.

Ah, I see you show you true colours.

Just another prejudice.

"Wah wah why don't you hate people based off ridiculous claims" grow up

Go back to Pol where you can argue such prejudice

Yeah how stupid of me to take evidence and not your lies as the basis for my opinions.

>evidence
link to source

I never said Maoris didn't use cannabalism. If you listen to what I said, they did it for mana, it was a ritual

The more powerful the warrior the more mana, why would they eat women and children for no mana? They would eat their fallen brothers to consume their mana to get stronger and absorb their skills as a warrior

This is wikipedia tier knowledge

>The revisionists would argue that reports of cannibalism in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were frequently made to excite audiences back in Europe–that their creators used the widespread ignorance of many indigenous cultures to conceal their falsifications….It all seems to make sense, but it is all totally wrong.
betweentwocultures.com/2017/02/20/review-this-horrid-practice-the-myth-and-reality-of-traditional-maori-cannibalism/

And if you read what I wrote, you'd see that I called you a liar for claiming this, because it's simply bullshit. They ate people because they liked it, they didn't even deny it but used the analogy that big fish eat little fish, so why shouldn't big guys eat the weak?

When defeating a tribe consuming the other cheifs or the strongest warrior was a great privilege to the, oh and I hear your little Polack senses tingling at that word

Get out of your bubble and do more basic research and stop basing your knowledge off a single source

>source is literally a fucking book review

The source is teh book you DENSE cunt. Would you prefer a link to it's Amazon listing?

I am fucking Maori, I think I have a better understanding of it having been taught the culture and history of them

Why come to his just to be an asshole who's source is one fucking book written by a white guy. Bible thumping American or just a plain idiot?

Do some more research, this conversation is over

If the source is the book, why didn't you send me a link to the book? Not to mention that you are still going off a single book from one man. Not terribly different to what the other guy is going off. Both of your arguements are wrong

> I think I have a better understanding of it having been taught the culture and history of them

Apparently not.

And if you think you can weasel out of it with nothing but racism (muh evildumb Pākehā) then you're a moron as well as an idiot.

>why didn't you send me a link to the book?

You expect me to buy you a copy of a book? Fuck off you sponging faggot.

>a single book from one man
>This Horrid Practice: The Myth and Reality of Traditional Maori Cannibalism is a 2008 non-fiction book by New Zealand historian Paul Moon. The book is a comprehensive survey of the history of cannibalism among the Māori of New Zealand. It was the first published academic survey of Māori cannibalism
>It was the first published academic survey of Māori cannibalism

How many other books should I link to, when this is the first to tackle the subject? Go huff some glue you simpleton.

On second thoughts I may have gone too far. If you really are a Maori I can well understand not only why this topic would distress you, but why your parents and grandparents may have fed you a sanitized version of the truth. Fact is the Maori were far from the only cannibals in history and were less horrific in their approach than many (the simple fact that they killed the people before cooking them puts them head and shoulders above the Fijians or the natives of the Congo).

>In 1835 some displaced Ngāti Mutunga and Ngāti Tama people, Māori from the Taranaki region of the North Island of New Zealand, but living in Wellington, invaded the Chathams. On 19 November 1835, the brig Lord Rodney, a hijacked[17] European ship, arrived carrying 500 Māori armed with guns, clubs and axes, and loaded with 78 tonnes of seed potatoes, followed by another ship with 400 more Māori on 5 December 1835. While the second shipment of invaders were waiting, the invaders killed a 12-year-old girl and hung her flesh on posts.[18] They proceeded to enslave some Moriori and kill and cannibalise others. "Parties of warriors armed with muskets, clubs and tomahawks, led by their chiefs, walked through Moriori tribal territories and settlements without warning, permission or greeting. If the districts were wanted by the invaders, they curtly informed the inhabitants that their land had been taken and the Moriori living there were now vassals."[19]

>A hui or council of Moriori elders was convened at the settlement called Te Awapatiki. Despite knowing of the Māori predilection for killing and eating the conquered, and despite the admonition by some of the elder chiefs that the principle of Nunuku was not appropriate now, two chiefs — Tapata and Torea — declared that "the law of Nunuku was not a strategy for survival, to be varied as conditions changed; it was a moral imperative."[14] A Moriori survivor recalled : "[The Maori] commenced to kill us like sheep.... [We] were terrified, fled to the bush, concealed ourselves in holes underground, and in any place to escape our enemies. It was of no avail; we were discovered and killed - men, women and children indiscriminately." A Māori conqueror explained, "We took possession... in accordance with our customs and we caught all the people. Not one escaped....."

>Nunuku
>The Moriori created a new tribe based on peaceful living Isolated from mainland New Zealand, Moriori developed a unique culture based on a law of peace. This was called Nunuku’s Law, after the ancestor Nunuku-whenua. After seeing bloody conflict between the Hamata people and later arrivals, he banned murder and the eating of human flesh forever.

>Nunuku-whenua was a Moriori chief and famous sixteenth century pacifist.

>The Moriori are a Polynesian people who settled in the then-uninhabited Chatham Islands around the year 1500.[1] Following an intertribal conflict, Nunuku-whenua, a prominent Moriori chief of the Hamata tribe, established "Nunuku's Law", which forbade war, cannibalism and killing in any form.[2]
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunuku-whenua

>Today, despite the difficulties and genocide that the Moriori faced, Moriori culture is enjoying a renaissance, both on Rekohu and in the mainland of New Zealand. Moriori culture and identity is being revived, symbolised in January 2005 with the renewal of the Covenant of Peace at the new Kopinga marae[26] on the Chathams. As of 2016, the marae has registered almost 800 Moriori descendants, with more than 3000 associated children.[27]

Good, glad they're doing okay. Really quite an inspiring race, many peoples have attempted to outlaw murder but few have had as much success as the Moriori did, to their great cost but eternal fame.

to be fair it was a very small population of people.

Would not be possible to enforce on a larger island but it is still quite an amazing feat but also lead to their destruction. No room for being peaceful in a pre bronze age society

>No room for being peaceful when you live next door to cannibals

FTFY.

if it wasn't for them, we would still have massive eagles and ostriches

>cannibals

They should have killed all the heathens

if it wasnt for dogs we'd still have dodos.

and the fucking kiwi would languish in obscurity, as it should

Murder's bad, because it hurts.
Eating my dead arm? I ain't gonna feel it, it ain't gonna hurt.

The maori conquered the moriori and were then conquered by the eternal Anglo.

No justification. It just is

So...

Who "UTU" here?

youtube.com/watch?v=CsTqvrgPOHE

They did have red hair. Stop being such a good goy