What would the Americas look life if never settled by Europeans?

What would the Americas look life if never settled by Europeans?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/fernandocorteshi01cort
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Empty.

Third world shithole.

Awful.

Nearly every country in the third world was settled by Europeans.

You mean colonized, and actually settled by mud races and mixed peoples.

Better than today that's for sure.

Why so butthurt?

>implying

Pictured: Third world shit hole

The Aztecs at the time of the first European contact was comparable to Ancient Greece 1,000 years prior. Perhaps if their civilization were allowed to advance, maybe they would sail across the ocean and invade Europe.

>Yfw sunset invasion is $10

>comparable to Ancient Greece 1,000 years prior.

This is what Greeks were building in the 6th century. Aztecs didn't even have metal tools.

It's unknown what the aztecs (nahua speaking people in those times) built in the 6th century (nothing remarkable most probably since they were invaders of nomad origin), but around that time Mesoamericans built the biggest structure in the world up to this day.
Wonder what they could have acomplished had the Mesopotamians showed them to work iron too.

Probably the exact same it looked like 800 years ago
And the 1000 years before that
And so on

Never settled or no contact at all?

In the former situation, the contemporary Columbian era empires would have eventually gave way and collapsed sooner rather than later, leading to them being easily take over via divide and conquer, East India company style. They also probably would have either adopted Christianity or heavily syncretized Christian teachings and native beliefs.

In the later situation, the empires collapse and reform and the continent looks much like it does today, with maybe one or two city states eventually conquering the others to form a stable empire China style.

>Perhaps if their civilization were allowed to advance, maybe they would sail across the ocean and invade Europe.

Are all aztecaboos this deluded?

It would either develop into a Japan or Korea or it would look like Myanmar.

The Ruskies would have eyed it for resources by now. It could have potentially developed a sturdy monetary base with all its gold though it's questionable whether the creation of many of the products made from the synthesisation of raw materials discovered there would have taken place.

>They agreed to work at it viribus et posse, and began at once to divide the task between them, and I must say that they worked so hard, and with such good will, that in less than four days they constructed a fine bridge, over which the whole of the men and horses passed. So solidly built it was, that I have no doubt it will stand for upwards of ten years without breaking —unless it is burnt down — being formed by upwards of one thousand beams, the smallest of which was as thick round as a man's body, and measured nine or ten fathoms (16-18 meters) in length, without counting a great quantity of lighter timber that was used as planks. And I can assure your Majesty that I do not believe there is a man in existence capable of explaining in a satisfactory manner the dexterity which these lords of Tenochtitlan, and the Indians under them, displayed in constructing the said bridge: I can only sav that it is the most wonderful thing that ever was seen.
- Fifth Letter of Relation by Cortes to Charles V

The Aztecs built this 1 500 km away from their supply lines with 3 000 men. Just imagine if they had known the ships of the Phoenicians, Greeks, or even the Portuguese or Spanish ones.

Every country where the Euros just said "Fuck it" and genocided the good-for-nothing natives is a developed nation. Huh, really makes you think??

Some of it would be cool, some wouldn't. If they developed in relative isolation, I could see modern day Cali, Florida, and the great lakes region becoming an alright, developed country. The rest of the modern country would be a complete shithole, much like IRL.

>Just imagine if they had known the ships of the Phoenicians, Greeks, or even the Portuguese or Spanish ones
But user, there's no way they would develop Quinteremes, triremes, Galleases, or Nau, because they had no reason to. They're pretty much alone in their region. Why would they develop ships? Trade with who? Things like that.

>Seeth Afrike

They were ahead of ancient greece. They had roman tier administrative complexity and had architectural engineering and hydro-engineering at or surpassing europe at the time.

Where can I read translated versions of the letters? I've tried to locate them but i've never had luck

All the problems in modern South Africa stem from the Yuropoor's not genociding the native population.

Name one country where that happened other than Australia, where they didn't even succeed in eliminating the natives.

You do realize the mesoamericans built the largest human monument in existance in the 9th century, right?

>They're pretty much alone in their region. Why would they develop ships? Trade with who? Things like that.

This is ridiculously inaccurate. There were trade networks that reached all the way up to the pacific northwest (indirectly, of course). There were also trade networks to the south that would have reachead the andes, and there's limited evidence that there was even direct contact between mesoamerican states and andean ones. It's possible the aztecs were aware of the incans.

Anyways, even just keeping it to neighbors close enough to do direct trade with, there's enough

Aztecs had peanuts and incans had corn. So I'm certain of trade happening

We know for sure there was point A to B and B to C and C to D trading going on between the andes and mesoameria and mesoamerica and a lot of north american native american tribes, we just don't have much evidence for the parties on both ends of it knowing who is on the other end.

Guatemala

>This is ridiculously inaccurate.

Sea trade, dummy.

archive.org/details/fernandocorteshi01cort

The aztecs would have crumbled in 100 years in a natural way, they were over extended at the times of the Euros came, even when the "empire" was more a tributarian raket with the three Aztec cultures/cities as the biggest bullies/collectors.

North America would have more open land, Natives would either build cities or stay in tribes.

The southern empires would try to advance through trade to get on European level.

But that's just a guess, alternate history has infinite possibilities.

That's Helsinki in the -6,000's, though.

>Aztecs didn't even have metal tools.
user...

Australian practically wiped out the abos, same with New Zealand. One could also argue Canada and the United States for their genocide and assimilation of the native peoples.

Why weren't the Aztecs smart enough to use the Incan domesticated llamas for their crops?

New Zealand still has plenty Maoris but they were far more intelligent than other natives of that side of the world

Llamas didn't live in mesoamerica

Prior to european contact North America was pretty densely populated, at least compared to post contact.
Pressure is what causes organisms to adapt, and as the hunter-gatherer mode of life became increasingly untenable compared to agriculture (some folks were in the middle of the process) sedentary life and its trappings would have developed.
of course it's doubtful we'd see euro-levels of development, but we'd see what we'd call "civilizations" within North America. Maybe multi-tribal political units would have developed identities we'd identify as national ones.
But, ehh, it'd still be slow going.

Llamas are also pretty shit compared to oxen or horses in pretty much every metric you could grade them. The new world in general got a shit roll of the dice in terms of starting animals available for domestication.

>densely populated

What are you basing this off?

Quite sure Aztecs and Incas didn't even know of each other's existence.

At least compared to post contact, take note.
Mea culpa, I wiki'd population estimates
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

Even the highest estimates might not seem like much, given the land mass of the americas, but it means a lot for hunter-gatherers, where having to compete with other humans for access to resources they don't actually control impedes the ability of both groups to adequately meet their needs.