What a funny guy Zhukov was once he was drinking with his friends...

What a funny guy Zhukov was once he was drinking with his friends, also a commanders and they were comparing their losses

>I lost 100 people today
another said
>I lost 210 people today
then Zhukov said
>I lost 30...
>friends were in awe of his tactical genius and asked him how to reduce casualities then he finished sentence
>...thousand

another funny anecdote is when a soldier came up to him and asked
>comrade officer why do we only have rocks how are we supposed to survive the battle without guns?
and Zhukov answered
>you're not

Hitler deeply respected him and sent him a thank you letter for dealing with soviet menace.

Other urls found in this thread:

tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13518040903355794
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>funny anecdote

Good books on Zhukov? I've been putting off a term paper on Soviet Deep Battle Theory that I should probably get around to starting.

>Zerg build order

written by Zhukov himself

Whats up with this Zhukov killing russians meme? Was there a possible other strategy to beat Germany that didn't involve the massive losses they took?

Also most of the losses came at the start of the war and the losses became about even during the Soviet advances.

>Whats up with this Zhukov killing russians meme?

Someone took a quote of his about a unit attacking over a minefield "as if it wasn't there" and Zhukov praising their bravery as an endorsement that he wanted to kill as many of his own soldiers as possible.

> Was there a possible other strategy to beat Germany that didn't involve the massive losses they took?
How far back are we allowed to change things? It is possible, but not without colossal restructuring of the Soviet military so they're akin to what they were in 1945 back in 1941, despite no political will for such changes.

Gods... I hate Russians. My gradfather hated them too, even before they put him to gulag. Did you think i'd be out here on the frontier without good reason? Yes, Russia needs strong frontier! No, Russia doesn't need unwashed Russians at her gates! So that's why i'm here, the leader of the Red Army, to bring Soviet order to stinking Russians. Revenge? That'd be good too. This war against the Germans won't last long, and when it's done, i've got plans. his is all about power, power in Stalingrad. Going down that road means dealing with all my rivals: the bolsheviks, the Ukranians, those Siberian yak-riders, the Stalin and Beria families too. After all, the man who controls Stalingrad rules the world...and one day, I will be Emperor.

Red Storm on the Reich

Well obviously his memoirs. It's a well known ''secret'' that it was written/heavily edited by teams of soviet ''historians'' to setve as official history but I doubt that you can do a paper on this without using this book.

>soviets were totally honest, even to a fault! Only paranoid goofballs believe that a world power would falsify information for any purpose!

I remain astounded how bad the Russians were in terms of military skill during the war. They somehow managed to lose ten million more lives than all of the combat losses in WWI combined, how can a military be that inept? It's mind boggling

Get out, vatnik.

Why does it matter, they won the war and therefore had the strongest military of all.

>Its another delusional Wehraboo "Muh K/D ratio is the only part of the war that matters" thread

David Glantz has made a career out of using the slightly more accessible Soviet archives to "fact check" Western history of the Soviet-German War, which was admittedly German centric due to available source material, and has found numerous errors in Zhukov's memoirs. Not just the expected political spin but simple inaccuracies in the orders of battle.

The Soviets were lucky to have a commander pragmatic enough to understand the advantage of numbers. The US nearly lost the Civil War before finding a General who understood the same.

>win the war
>become nuclear super power
>control half the planet
yeah haha right fucking inept retards

then you should start doing some actual research outside of subscribing to Cold War Memes and what your football coach who had to teach history on the side told you

whereas Hitler deluded himself into thinking Britain would come around to their senses and join Axis and France was expected to give up as they did, the Eastern Front was a Total War of attempted industrial extermination, a clash of two incompatible cult-ideologies determined to conquer Europe. Were the Chinese just *bad* as well? No, they just reproduced like rabbits and got caught with their pants down by a modernized army that hated them. There are perfectly sound reasons for why all this happened, like how the Japanese got spanked 1v1 by USSR in two battles and then accepted and stuck by a truce on that front.

There simply was no way to avoid mass casualties at the breakout of Barbarossa- Reich had every advantage including a numerically stronger mobilization. For the rest of the war, casualties were matched with about a 1-1.5 k/d ratio, disproving the zerg rush meme. Soviets paid the blood price for victory because no one else was able or willing to, and they had no choice but to pay it. All the other Allies had a great time in POW camps.

The turning point of the entire war was at Stalingrad, where the 3rd army and dozens of generals were thrown away for no real reason. Who's inept again?

Russians would have never had to die if the west honored its alliances with Czechoslovakia and Poland. Sudetenland would have been a bloodbath and Hitler would've been overthrown in a coup.

Speaking of coups, the real answer to your question is the purging of the officers corps. Lots of brilliant officers were wasted by Stalin's paranoia and it hurt the Red Army bad in 1941. But he eventually trusted his generals, unlike his autistic Austrian counterpart, and there were no assassination attempts on his moustache, so who knows?

>grant
>good general
all he did was throw northerners at the increasingly sparse southerner army
on an even playing field the north would have lost

>yeah well if things were different things would've been different

>throws millions to their death in the german meat grinder
>americans see how much your suffering and want to keep germany open on two fronts
>so they give you free shit in order to help you after your great leader flipped his shit and murders half of the government and military officals
>ha ha we wuz victors and destoryers of fashism
>inb4 lend lease was not important

>guy literally attributes Grant's success to being aware of a numerical advantage
>promptly answer "he wasn't that great he'd have lost if they had no advantage!"

so this ... is the power of states rights...

>I will ignore the entirety of the western campaign because I can't support my dixiebooism there.

Where did I say he was good? He understood attrition warfare and was called a butcher because of it. 60k dead per month and a 2:1 loss ratio at the start of the overland campaign. The relentless offensives he ordered meant the Confederates couldn't spare men to counter Sherman.

Attrition warfare wasn't invented by Zhukov.

Lend lease was important, but it takes a special kinda retard to say that magically means Russia didn't win the war and become a global superpower.

never not relevant

Don't forget that most of it came later on in the war, not right at the outset when they were trying to fend the Germans away from Moscow.

What route did allied shipping take to reach Russia?

>giving an animal rights
only yankees could be able to have the mental gymnastics to defend this

>giving a "nice guy" beta the chancellorship
only fascists could be able to have the mental gymnastics to defend this

>implying i have to be a Blackshirt to understand that Negros are animals

The single biggest one was over the Pacific to Vladivostok. Next up were the Persian Corridor and the Arctic route. Between the three of them, you have about 90% of Lend-Lease by volume.

>those loss numbers
Thanks

LL tanks were at Moscow.

tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13518040903355794

I regret that I have but one army to lose for my country
t.Zhukov

Yeahh. The fact that the texts have changed each eddition to include correct political attitudes is tinfoil too? From Stalin being good to him being an asshole than adding Chruschev as an important guy than deleting him and adding Brezhnev instead and so it goes.
The book is an important source of information but no one in Russia denies what I said. They only claim that the most recent eddition is the one where the previous evil biases were added and now at least the true work of the marshal us revealed. Until the next edition comes out.

>I don't know what the word "most" means because I am retarded.
>I think that a winter counteroffensive that isn't particularly mobile is settled by medium and heavy tanks, and not things like artillery
>I will conveniently ignore that light tanks were overwhelmingly Soviet and also some 83% of all armored forces there

And yet your attached image is still wrong.

Oh? This I'd like to see. How exactly is it wrong?

The problem here is that your definition of a general falls under the definition of one who is able to effectively dispatch the enemy at greater number than his own losses. For the Union, this wasn't feasible as they did not have an experienced officer corps like the Confederate army had. Grant was a good general in that he was able to use the resources allotted to him (his manpower) to effectively end the war. He knew his forces couldn't kill more confederates, however he also knew that he had the manpower to drain the enemy's weaker supply of manpower.