Why would god allow so many avoidable tragedies and atrocities in the world?

Why would god allow so many avoidable tragedies and atrocities in the world?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WUTVmuqviqE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?

If I remember correctly from Aquinas, some suffering is necessary so that all gradients of good may be filled and expressed.

Evil doesn't exist. There is only God's will. We should follow God's will because otherwise we go to hell.

dude free will lmao

Why not?

If God were to show himself to us and help us we would be dependant on him

1. If there are no evils, problems and tragedies in the world - what would be the point of being here? Evil is a necessary component of the world.

2. Free will comes with a complete package. A human can do good or evil -- it is up to the person.

3. All tragedies and hardships in this world are temporary. Who cares about a moment of hardship when the reward for that is eternity?

4. This world isn't designed to be a paradise for humans. It's a temporary test to see who will do good and who will do bad - given a set of circumstances.

So what you're saying is, hating my whole family and myself will get me into heaven?

Score!

So neither does Good.

God isn't real

We got to the right answer eventually.

/thread

Do anti-theists find it that hard that some people might want to have a theological debate? What a disease it must be to have this incessant desire to sound your irrelevant voice every time.

not an anti-theist

>theology
>debate

God is a spook

because it's the best of all possible worlds

cuz he doesnt exist dummy geez why are you so unenlightened

>socio-historical context

god doesn't do what's good, he does what's right

Because there is no god.

>some suffering is necessary so that all gradients of good may be filled and expressed.
was it autism?

>4. This world isn't designed to be a paradise for humans. It's a temporary test to see who will do good and who will do bad - given a set of circumstances.

This

Because he can't stop them.

In the folly of Man's sin an even greater good than the good of Creation came about called the Incarnation of Jesus Christ. All tragedy exists to serve the greater Good in time.

16To the woman He said,
“I will greatly multiply
Your pain in childbirth,
In pain you will bring forth children;
Yet your desire will be for your husband,
And he will rule over you.”

17Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;
Cursed is the ground because of you;
In toil you will eat of it
All the days of your life.

18“Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you;
And you will eat the plants of the field;

19By the sweat of your face
You will eat bread,
Till you return to the ground,
Because from it you were taken;
For you are dust,
And to dust you shall return.”

20Now the man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all the living. 21The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.

22Then the LORD God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— 23therefore the LORD God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken. 24So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.
Life on earth outside eden is a punishment from God. You are meant to suffer because of your sin.

>Be Eve, got told to not eat fruit from this one tree.
>Lazing in Ede and Adam is probably doing something, naming different subspecies of ants most likely.
>Did I eat a wrong plant, or do I have parseltongue, because this python just walked over to me on its legs and started talking about eating this fruit.
>Look at tree, remember God telling me not to feast on this tree, its decoration only.
>Think twice, I mean bad shit gonna happen
>Looks delicious, pretty, and smells good. How can such good looking and smelling thing be bad
>Hey Adam, come ere, look at this fruit, isn't it delicious?

>Behold it sure looks like it.
>Lets listen to my rib for once, she knows about fashion and looks, so she must be right.
>Let her have the honor like a true gentleman
>Take a bite, fuckthisisdelicious

>Look at wife
>OMG titties and a vagina, lets sensor it (see here the creation of the first conservative American)
>God comes walking up for Gardening and Chill
>No one there
>Ihatethis
>Where are you both, I created this new plant marijuana, wanna try it out?

>sorry sir, can't do, we're nude, and a bit shy, i think eve's got too much lovehandles and now she's upset
>ohboyherewego

MFW over the past 6,600 years I've constantly regretted promising to let people do whatever they want without consequences or intervention

From Gods POV human suffering is as important as bacteria dividing.

The saddest thing is, Christians believe that only a second life will be comfortable and good.
In this life you're going to suffer.

And that's why I can't be a Christian.
If God would appreciate and reward goodness, now that would be something.

But saying that only Satan (aka the lord of this world) helps baddies, while God wants us to believe in him (with blind faith) while providing zero evidence of his very existence AND he says that you'll only have happiness in the afterlife.... nah.

It's just not fair.
I can't believe in such an unfair and unjust God.
If he could provide some real evidence, if he could just guide people for real... but having blind faith in completely invisible and unfalsifiable things (for a good afterlife, not even a nice life in this world!), that's completely masochistic.

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. (Galatians 6:7)

I mean I tried to believe in this, i really tried it.
But it's just full of paradoxes.

Why would God allow all this suffering?
And why is only one religion right?
How could we even tell?

Saying that only one religious book is The Truth and only one prophet / holy saviour is The Saviour is easy, but believing it is veeery hard.

Where are all the miracles?
Why prayer doesn't work?
Why God won't heal amputees?

Yeah, believing that rich people are wealthy because of Satan might justify our beliefs, but that won't feed the poor.
If Jesus could feed his followers, why can't he feed us now? For real - not with promises and empty words.

Sometimes I feel that I could believe only in a non-dogmatic God.
Religious people always preach about why God won't do this or that and how he works in mysterious ways... how about showing how he cares? How he helps people? For real - not just written examples.

I prayed, I tried to believe, but nothing.
It's just delusional.
We want to believe that there is an easy way and that we are not alone.

I really wish that God would exist... but he probably doesn't.

Thank you for your rational input,
you can go back now to one of those 50 pregnant Anne Frank threads and write some cuckhold fanfic about it

Natural evil needed for world to work
Test of faith
Evil is the abscence of good, you could house those refugees in your 3 story villa but no you'll just shitpost on Twitter

If evil is necessary does that mean that God is not powerful enough or doesn't know how to make a world where evil is not necessary? Is God bound by a necessity that he cannot overcome?

instaboner. thanks for reminding me

He's the demiurge, hates us and wants to dominate us so we worship him, his son jesus is the deceiver, sent to make us believe and to baptize kids against their wills so filthy spirits enter them.

Not even kidding, look at the trace of blood and child rape this religion is leaving behind, along with islam and other religions.

Seek gnosis, seek Abraxas.

Because he'd rather tell people to stop jerking off and mixing fabrics.

God is just the personification of an energy (intent, imagination, emotion)

Hell is Hell
Heaven is Heaven
Earth is Earth

A worse type of God would be one who would 'simply make it all better'.

It is the risk of tragedy and failure which grounds us to an experience of the world far more intense than "paradise universes".

The book of Job is one of the best treatments of God as a being of evaluation and judgment, not of human hedonics.

How can you pretend to understand the moral and aesthetic perception of the being who fashioned the Behemoths and the Leviathans of the world?

when a lion eats a gazell to survive is it a bad act? its a good act to the lion as it means it will live another day, to the gazelle its a bad act, as it means death, its foolish to try and conceptualize god in the way you do

"the sky is the body of the mind, and that sun up there is its luminous appearnace so the extent of the sky and that of the sun is the same as the extent of the mind, this pair copulated and from there union was born breath, which is god and he is without rival for there has to be another to have a rival who ever knows this will have no rival"

Option 1: Create no universe.
Option 2: Create a universe with no sentient life.
Option 3: Create a universe populated by automatons.
Option 4: Create a universe where no evil can exist.
Option 5: Create a universe and populate it will free will moral agents.

Only in Option 5 can Love be the highest ideal; only in Option 5 can Love even exist.

Only in Option 5 can the greatest act of love be performed; that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

I FUCKING HATE & HUMANITIES YOU ARE RUINING THIS BOARD

You've created conditions under which you will not believe. They are creatures of your imagination only, and your rationale to not believe the truth.

That you are a sinner in need of a savior, and that the only savior there is, is Christ Jesus.

God allows suffering because suffering begets perseverance, perseverance develops character, and character, hope.

No religion is right; all religions are manmade attempts to reach up to God. They all fail. God reached down to man, or nothing would be saved.

You can tell by becoming filled with the Holy Spirit of God, the witness to all these things, and the Spirit of Truth.

The miracles abound, and are not decisive. You could see a miracle, and still not believe. Many did. Many saw Jesus do miracles, and did not believe.

My prayers always work. You are a child of satan; to whom are you praying?

Who said God could not or did not cure amputees? Is absence of evidence suddenly evidence of absence? Does Christ making a man new eyes out of mud not show you what he can do?

Jesus feeds everyone who asks him to feed them; this is spiritual food, and spiritual water, and it is His Spirit, inside you, that resurrects you to eternal life.

Rather than be saved, bend the knee to Jesus, and live with God forever, you'd rather be a clever lad.

Good luck with that, clever lad.

Seeing other people get hurt is funny, simple as that.
youtube.com/watch?v=WUTVmuqviqE

well that is a question about what constitutes "evil" not whether or not evil is necessary, even to God or not. Your example, is like the point made in Star Wars, "from my point of view the jedi are evil'. Thus we should ask are there any acts that are considered universally evil, in that no point of view thinks that it is good. Even something like the holocaust you will have some small minority who think it was actually a good thing. Does this mean that it is not truly an "evil act". However if we somehow agree that this is an example of a truly "evil" act then we get back to the question of why would God allow for something like the holocaust to happen? Again was it something necessary for us to proceed as a species or community? Was it necessary to have something that evil happen for us to move towards good? If evil is necessary for good, or for the awareness of the good, then it would appear that God is restricted by a necessity. Thus either God is not powerful enough to have the good without needing evil, he does not know how to create the good without evil, or he is not, I guess compassionate or loving enough, to care if there is evil in the world or not.