Memes aside, why didn't the Irish eat fish?

Memes aside, why didn't the Irish eat fish?

>brb just going to catch deep sea cod miles off the coast in a never ending stormt sea in my boat made of potato

You need ships and fishermen to fish. You don't just adapt overnight.

One would think impending starvation would be a very good motivator

>boat made of potato
Are there no trees in Ireland?

Maybe because the place was deforested and they were not allowed to own private property

..the fisheries of Ireland, were undeveloped, and in Galway and Mayo the herring fishermen were too poor to buy salt with which to preserve a catch.
... A large part of the Irish coast, in the south-west, west and north-west is perilous: there are cliffs, rocks, treacherous currents, sudden squalls and above all the Atlantic swell surging form America across thousands of miles of ocean. By the nineteenth century timber was short in Ireland in the west, practically speaking, there was none, & fishing-boats were small, the largest being 12-15 tons. The national boat of Ireland is the 'curragh', a frail craft, often of considerable length, made of wicker work covered originally with stretched hides and latterly with tarred canvas. The curragh rides easily over the great Atlantic swells, is fast, and with four oarsmen can cover suprising distances. The Curragh was not suitable for the use of nets in deep-sea fishing, and according to an expert writing at the time the fish off the west coast of Ireland lay many miles out at sea in forty fathoms of water. A vessel of at least fifty tons was needed, capable of going out for several days, laden with nets, to face 'the frightful swell of the Atlantic'. If a gale blew from the east the nearest port of refuge was Hailfax, in Nova Scotia.

The curraghs and small fishing-boats of the Irish were 'powerless in these circumstances'; and an inspector, reporting from Skibbereen, wrote that the failure of Irish fisheries was due to the want of boats suitable for deep-sea fishing, 'though this coast and the coast of Kerry about with the fines fish in the work' another report commented that the courage and skill of Irish fishermen were remarkable; 'the native fishermen' were 'out in thier frail curraghs whenever an opportunity offers, and in weather when nobody else could think of venturing themselves in such a craft'. ...but the heavy swell off the west and south-west made deep-sea fishing in curraghs impossible. 'The poor cottier had a miserable curragh, fished for his family or neighbours and got paid in potatoes

>Anonymous Veeky Forums poster solves the Irish famine with this one weird trick! The Irish hate him!

Kek'd, seriously though this is an asinine question and op should feel bad

>op should feel bad
OP here. I do feel bad, but for unrelated reasons. Mostly involving sex stuff.

>Obvious and valid question is asinine

Spoken like an academic who has been trained to think in a certain, very particular way; to over-complicate things, and to shun the obvious for its own sake as being "pleb", "naive", and so on. In other words, to never actually come to the point.

Fish is not potato dummy.

>live next to the sea
>can't afford salt

Because the Irish were lazy. With potatoes they grow themselves. To fish you actually had to get up and do shit which they weren't accustomed to.

Yes they magically grow everywhere out of nothing and require absolutely no maintainance before magically cleaning, peeling and cooking themselves

No the English stole them, also stole all the rope to stop us committing suicide, Anglos really did like to torture their prey

>Implying the Irish clean, peel, or cook their food

yes?

Ireland was almost completely deforested to make room for farm land. This means there wasn't enough wood to build ships that could sail far enough out to sea to catch anything. This means there weren't any tradesmen who knew how to build these ships. Some fishermen built what were basically canoes made of whatever wood they could get, and braved storms to feed their communities, but British military ships would sink any vessel of any size that they saw

There you go

Well maybe they shouldn't have deforested their own country.

Don't tell us what to do

Don't complain how poor planning led to your famine then.

Was more than enough food being produced in Ireland to feed everyone but the brits took it at gunpoint

Potatoes were a revolutionary crop for Europe, and folks then had a poor grasp on why they ought to have diverse agricultural products apart from how it maintains soil arability. Like oil in some economies, it was something convenient, and convenience creates disastrous overdependence.

Don't kill yourself.

Ireland used to be heavily forested until the British used all their wood for their fleets.

Used to have the largest deer in the world.

Perfidious post

>literally starve to death because no potatoes
>potatoes were only introduced to Europe after the Age of Discovery

What the hell did they eat before that?

Yeah sure O'Mc Kilkenny, blame your peoples lazyness and poor planning on someone else.

Regular crops like turnip and sheeit. But British landowners divided up the land into tiny portions to rent back to the original Irish owners, with plots so small, the only thing that could grow in enough abundance with enough nutrients was the potato
(You)

Babies

Oats and barley along with dairy. Our climate is a bit too wet for good wheat.

They planted a wide variety of crops which were served in local markets.

After the eternal Anglo, the only way small Irish farmers could stay afloat was by planting crash crops, in this case potatoes.

It wasn't that they were only eating potatoes and the virus took them all away, it was the fact that the virus caused a price shock which drove huge numbers of farmers into destitution because they lost their farms, and the only ones which remained stayed profitable by selling their product on overseas markets.

The eternal Anglo couldn't have deigned to help the suffering Irish because in their minds, capitalism was God's economy, rewarding the virtuous and punishing the wicked, even though it was a disaster of their own making.

Why did you let the english rule?

>questions are arrogant!

Bitta craic but they took it too far, we're not friends anymore

Queen Anne's law in 1703 made all catholic land adhere to gavelkind inheritance while the protestants could retain primogenitor. In addition, if a son of a catholic family became protestant he could inherit everything, even if he was not the first born. This was done to disenfranchise catholic land owners while strengthening the protestant hold.

By the time of the famine 140 years later catholic land had be subdivided many times over. As a result of this most of the catholics had started growing potatoes as they were cheap to raise, made relatively more profit than other foods and (most importantly) did not need a lot of room to grow. While the protestants could diversify their lands with barley and what have you, over half of the arable land in Ireland was dedicated to potatoes due to the people rejecting conversion.

Rocks and dirt.

This

ty user, I did not know this.

But the Irish did live off of fish. In the Mesolithic, when the population was probably a few thousand people. But that hasn't been a very viable way to live since the Neolithic happened.

Do you really not understand that if agriculture fails, a population of millions cannot just return to hunting and gathering without mass starvation? Do you think land would be such a valuable resource, fought over in countless wars throughout recorded history, if everyone could have just lived off of fish?

>try to fish
>anglos don't let you because you are not licensed or permitted to fish, only to farm or ranch
>try to eat your baby
>arrested
>die the next day
>anglos storm in and burn down our church (where what little food we have is stored) because we caught some fish against the law and were drying them there
>everybody else dies

>Used to have the largest deer in the world.
>Ireland
What?

>take over Bengal
>force local farmers to grow opium instead of food because you want to force it on the Chinese for the sake of tea
>everyone dies
>offer no relief to your own subjects
>raise taxes to make up for lost profits due to everyone dying
>everyone dies even more
>then the Chinese decide they don't want opium, so you kill everyone and trigger the decline the Qing dynasty, throwing China into chaos for over a century

Wew

Irish Elk. They died out millenia ago though and they were found all over Eurasia, so it's nothing to do with the British.

Ask the japanese, theres 144 million of them living off fish

Ireland is Haiti of Europe

I'm pretty sure they have agriculture in Japan. Also mechanised industrial scale fishing rather than 19th century fishing nets thrown from little currachs.

>other countries try to send Ireland aid or trade food with them
>the English blockade the ships in order to reduce Ireland's population

Don't care

>No trees, no wood for ship building
>Irish didnt really know how to fish since it wasnt part of their culture or economy
>Irish peasants grew their own food (the potatoes) since they were too poor to actually purchase food, so once potatoes were dying they didnt know what to do
>damp weather wasn't suitable for other crops
>because of "muh licenses" from the perfidious anglos, if you tried to fish without a fishing permit you get in trouble
>british food import tariffs fuck you over
>english stop other nations from helping out the irish because they didnt want them to help the irish more than they did themselves (which was fuck all)

Why didn't the Irish just bury themselves in the bogs and wait until the famine was over then rise up?

>tfw Oswald Mosley actually quite liked Ireland

>This thread again

then why there were irish monks spread around the whole north atlantic? is it because they couldn't sail?

You know you have to evaporate it to get the salt out? Which requires fuels which is expensive cause even wood was costly. And you can't just let sun dry it because its Ireland and its cold and rainy all the time.

cause it doesn't always work like its supposed to if you don't do it correctly

Good god what a retard you are.

This, I don't know why he's the face of perfidious anglo when he was basically a pan-european nationalist that wanted a strong europe that would stick it to the fucking yanks.

I can't even fish, help me

Not an argument

Mosley actually broke his back for Ireland at a time when it was extremely unpopular. He crossed the aisles and eventually resigned from the Conservatives because he disapproved of the government's use of Black and Tans as a paramilitary force. It's hard to imagine now but Mosley at the time was set to become the next Labour leader and thereby the next PM, however he never quite fit in and he resigned after Labour turned down his economic programme and was confined to a life of faffing about in costume ever since.
Bit of a dick move really to use him as the face of le Anglo meme.

Of course it's not an argument, he was just correctly pointing out this guy is a retard.

Are you saying he's wrong and trying to argue that Japanese people eat literally nothing except fish? Go ahead and make your case.

Potatoes are easy mode crops. I remember fondly of the times I was given a little plot of land in my last years of primary school. It was a school project to learn children to grow their own food. However, being the lazy little shit I was I would rather play video games than taking care of my crops. After a few weeks or so, all my seedlings had been replaced by weeds except for one thing. Potato plants, not only did they survive but they basically spread across my entire plot of land.

I wouldn't say they eat nothing but fish but it's a very heavy staple in their diet and they're some of the longest-lived people in the world because of it

why didn't the Irish just eat their own babies?

Other Irishmen.

So you do agree the user that said they eat nothing but fish is a retard. So why bother posting your dumb little "not an argument" meme?

Can someone explain me the "typical" Irish accent and its development? I like to listen to Irish songs from time to time, both in Gaelic and in English but I can't seem to understand how the harsh Gaelic turned into the typical accent of Ireland today.

>Being this pointlessly fannyblasted
Are you an Oirish-American by any chance?

No. I'm just on a one man crusade against people that randomly post "not an argument" in threads for no good reason.

OK well make your next crusade against people who pointlessly post "ugh what a retard" without an attending argument

Negative, if someone has made an obviously retarded statement then it is duty of every Veeky Forums poster to call them a retard.

>staple

That would be rice.

Gaelic isn't harsh at all. Only the Ulster dialect has a rough character which would explain why their accent is also much more bracing than in the south

The British didn't let them, and took any food they produced that wasn't potatoes and a few other crops-Ireland produced more food than it ever while its people starved to death.

In other news fuck the Brits

Almost like 99.99% of every fucking body in Britain at the time.

No excuse.

Ignorant fuck. It was considered poaching, you can't fish it's against the law. Besides, most are inland, it's not a fucking atoll you retard.

There was plenty of food in Ireland.

The British Army was deployed to make sure it got exported for profit.

Pic related.

>It was considered poaching, you can't fish it's against the law.
>get a fishing license you say? sounds like too much hard work for me i say. so, i think that i'll just continue starving to death

Kek, top class shitposting, made me laugh/10.

The basques did that with early medieval tech. I don't see how the irish couldn't, or they don't have trees?

>all questions are leading questions!

all the crops that were shipped to British factories at the time.

Brits figured that they didn't need all that food since potatoes were good enough for them (turns out they were wrong).

>they don't have trees
Exactly

Fun fact, alot of it was done during the plantations by the Brits without much long term considerations

lol

>Be Irish monk
>Bastion of latin literature and Catholicism in western Europe
>Make pilgrimage to Rome for more texts
>Captured on the way, made slave for 5 years
>Escape slavery, get to Rome
>Acquire copies of scripture
>Make journey back to monastery in Ireland
>Lose half the books due to a bad storm at sea
>Manage to preserve the rest and make copies to distribute to the Anglos recovering from raids by the Danes and Norwegians
>Anglos repay my people by becoming heretics and attempting to genocide my people

milk

ireland was almost mongolia tier but with cows instead of horses

read brehon law, literally everything is measured in cattle

Lol absent British landlords would prosecute motherfuckers for gathering seaweed in starvation. Ireland was just fucked in the 19th

Nope, they use black turf for fires.

The eternal anglo did the same to India.

Be honest anons, most of you faggots would starve too if you weren't able to drive to a supermarket to buy all your pre-prepared shit.

why couldn't they just cover the potatoes so they didn't get infected?

It must be nice living in a world as moronically simplistic as the one you seem to inhabit.

what is this meme? they didn't start with any more or less trees than britain. They just got BTFO because the fenians are quite simply genetically inferior.

>Lol absent British landlords would prosecute motherfuckers for gathering seaweed in starvation
OH NIL, TIS ANOTHA FAMINE

DONT FORGET THE 1 GORILLION YOU DIRTY SASANACH

t. Paidrick O'Hara

>why don't lifelong farmers suddenly become professional fishermen overnight?

>Brb while I walk all the way from my little thatched cottage in the middle of the country, buy a boat, buy a fishing rod, then head out to sea during a storm for a few hours to try and catch enough fish for my entire family and some to sell as well, then walk all the fucking way back

Was Britain starving? No it was not