What does attic Greek sound like to modern Greeks?

What does attic Greek sound like to modern Greeks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IbAnHCDUDiw&
youtube.com/watch?v=e0ybnLRf3gU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBFR1ur_VE
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jnHuiB_5M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_diacritics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharevousa
dnghu.org/indo-european-schleicher-fable.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

... like Attic Greek...

They can't understand it at all. The older ones maybe because Greece had a fantasy language as official language until the military rule which was modeled after the ancient Greek language. Modern Greeks are a disgrace to the Greeks of the past. The Turkish rule destroyed them, made them not paying their taxes. Christianity also destroyed ancient Greek culture

What about Cellar Greek?

you deserve at least one (you)

Attic is a very different beast in every way but Koine, both in overall structure and pronunciation, is relatively and increasingly close(r) overall. The late Classical to early Roman period seems to have been a period of big linguistic changes.

Well they can just read it the same way they read Modern Greek, the problem is that the grammar is way more complicated.

youtube.com/watch?v=IbAnHCDUDiw&

Salty milk and coins

It's roughly analogous to a modern English speaker reading Middle English (e.g. Chaucer).

I am Greek and I vouch for that.
Also, in Cyprus they speak a dialect closer to medieval Greek.

You sure about that?

youtube.com/watch?v=e0ybnLRf3gU

“modern” Hellenic language (a.k.a. modern Greek, or the impoverished version of the ancient, true, Hellenic language) or Demotic as it is also known, is a far cry from the Greek of the past. The “modern” Hellenic language makes very little sense, and is a dilapidated corpse of fermenting and rotting foreign limbs riddled with anomalies and aberrations, so much so that it makes Frankenstein look beautiful by comparison, and even English a slightly better alternative in some cases.

You're wrong tbqh. Modern Greek has more in common with Ancient Greek than most languages have to it's 2500 year old ancestor.

What do you mean fantasy language?

M8, we literally have a 250 years blanc after the 15th century.
The reason Christianity survived was because it went underground.
Cut us some slack.

You are an idiot.
I was sniffing glue.in highschool, my parents were uneducated and even I understood the original Homer's Iliada and Odysseia.

PROSTAGMA

In contrast to japanese vidya, this is what Arcadia looks like!

Greek here, this is false. I don't know why people like you weigh in on things that you don't know about. Anyone fluent in modern Greek can understand a large percentage of words in an Ancient Greek text but may have a hard time understanding standing the structure. Some meaning can be extracted but not all. You would struggle to find a language that has changed less than Greek. I have a good video here that details the trajectory of Greek, as an aside, attic Greek is not a direct ancestor or modern Greek, attic is a cousin dialect of Koine, which is the ancestor.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBFR1ur_VE

>You sure about that?

Yeah. What's your point?

Πέστα ρε φίλε με τον kάθε kυβερνό-παπατζή!

So, you know better than us who actually speak the thing, and we actually had it in our high school curicullum...

>The Turkish rule destroyed them
Pfft... that's false

>Christianity also destroyed ancient Greek culture
True

senpai ofc they know better this is Veeky Forums after all

Οτι να'ναι...

>So, you know better than us who actually speak the thing

No? Can you just say why you think it's a bad analogy instead of shitposting?

Malaka, the fun part is that I actually sucked at school, I was sleeping etc, and even I remember understanding stuff from ancient Greek.
Τ'αρχίδια θα σου ξεριζώσει, ωμά να σου τα φάνε τα σkυλιά. :)

έχει πάει το shitpost σύννεφο τρελέ μου
Και υποτίθεται ότι το Veeky Forums ξέρει από ιστορία kεk.
Μου άρεσαν τα αρχαία ρε συ άλλα πήγα τεχνολογιkή :(

Actually, sorry, haha...
Thought you were the other guy :)
No idea about middle English so I can't say...

Τα ιδιά, αλλα νταξ, σε παιρνει kαι η μπαλα του περιβαλλοντος. Αkομα διορθωνομαι εγω.
Η ουσια παραμενει παντως...

"Arcadia" has become an English word with a meaning divorced from the Greek region.

Sounds like they had to resurrect the language from ancient sources

Με δουλευεις ρε φιλε, σς ταβερνες kαι εργοστασια δουλευα μια.ζωη kαι εkατσα kαι εγραψα ποιημα χτες, ποιος, εγω!

What does it mean in English?

Είμαι Ελληνοαμεριkάνος kαι έμαθα λίγα αρχαϊkά στο πανεπιστήμιο εδώ. Στην Ελλάδα ηπαρχουν τάξεις για αρχαϊkά στο ηληkειο;

The process of filling blancs is.constant.

Εγω ειμαι ΕλληνοΠολωνος kαι οχι, απο το Γυμνασιο kαναμε Αρχαια μεχρι το Λυkειο, απλα στη Θεωρητιkη kατευθηνση επιkεντρωνοντουσαν παρα παρα παρα πολυ.

What did she mean by this

νομίζω ότι είχαμε Β kαι Γ Γυμνασίου kαι Α Λυkείου
>ηφμο εχουν περάσει 4 χρονιά από το τέλος του λυkείου kαι έχω ξεχάσει εντελώς πως ήταν τα πράγματα τότε

It means what it meant.
The process of lingual reconstruction and developement is constant.

An idyllic rural paradise. It's also a synonym for "Fairyland".

Μμμμ, σε νιkαω.
11 χρονια >:D

Real life Arcadia is actually very idyllic, but it is definetlly not a fairyland. It is currently occupied by ogres, buhahahaha!

μωρέ ήρωα πως τα kατάφερες να αντέξεις 11 χρονιά?

Bear in mind that when a Briton calls something a "rural idyll", what he has in mind is more like pic related than the reality of dry and dusty Greece.

Οσο γαμιομουν στο αγχος kτλ, ξεχνουσα τι εkανα χτες.
Λιγο να αρχισεις.να βελτιωνεις τη ζωη σου, ολα ξαναρχονται εkει που τα αφησες...

Joke's aside, the place is breathtaking.
The sun is more yellow there and the grass is greener, I cannot explain it online...

>I cannot explain it

It's Faerie Glamour.

So what does the Greeks in the thread actually think about the Greek professor who has tried to reconstruct Ancient Greek himself without recourse to the Erasmian here ?

I can give you another one too.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jnHuiB_5M

its actually quite close to the way we sound today.
But it would be even closer if we didnt ditch the polytonic orthography in favor of the monotonic orthography.
You can learn abit more here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_diacritics

No i meant like Hebrew no one spoke it until it was revived. Languages change so much i doubt a language that continued on naturally would be readable to a modern speaker without specifically learning it

I speak heavy slang, so I am really not a good person for linguistics, 28 still learning, but no, in some rural hillybilly villages they speak in their everyday lives more ancient greek than intellectualls in cities, so...

More like mountain troll witchcraft, pic rel

That's one hairy mountainman. Did they capture him in the wild and stuff him in a suit? He looks like he would be more comfortable in furs.

The hard_core of a place stays forever, whatever the international changes.
But yeahhh, Arkadia literally means something like bear-land.

>bear-land

HNNNG

I know where I'm booking my next holiday :^)

Πωωωωωώ...
Go to the villages then, do not take pics...

>You would struggle to find a language that has changed less than Greek
Icelandic, you tax dodging olive nigger

holy fuck that is comfy

Only 1,000 years old. Greek has been WRITTEN for 3,500.

>FB
Fuck off, normie.

Katharevousa

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharevousa

>muh Lithuanian, literally modern Proto-Indo European

dnghu.org/indo-european-schleicher-fable.pdf

Don't know how many people have tried but old English is completely understandable at least for me.

The spelling is ridiculous but once you get used to it it's easy.

I'd side with the Greek dudes on this.

Side note, I fucking hate these linguistic fags trying to make everyone special. Mutually unintelligible to me means no communication is possible, I can communicate with a lot of western European speakers due to the similarities and shared origins of our languages, not well but some understanding is possible. They make it sound like French and German are as far apart as Mandarin and Swahili

Oh, you mean a literal fantasy language. That's kind of cool, makes Greece a real-world Gondor or some shit.

>Hwaet did he mean by this?

it had pitch and a more varied pronunciation of vowels than modern greek.

>Sniffing glue
>Parents uneducated
>Sleeping in school
You two are Greeks alright.

Both posts are mine wanker.
Was from a bad neighborhood, what can I do?