Did colonisation bring any benefits to the people it colonised?

did colonisation bring any benefits to the people it colonised?

Well we should have never gotten involved.

Just kicked back and kept out medicine, agriculture technology, electricity, computers, cars, refrigeration, telephones, computers, the internet and space travel all to ourselves.

And just let them keep doing what they were doing without the evil awful white people.

Shit if we had kept it all and acted completely selfishly we would have colonized the rest of the solar system by now.

This

Imagine a world where basic physics and chemistry and simple shit like electricity and combustion engines are a closely guarded secret by Europeans practicing some kind of hermetic order type religion and the entirety looks to Europe as a continent of literal wizards.

>he thinks colonization was done for purely altruistic reasons
kekity

Actually when you thing yourself back into the perverted worldview of the Europeans. They thought that it was the "white mans burden" to teach the lesser "races".

Taking the natural resources was just something they saw as their payment for those teachings.

Also colonies were just a huge expensive dick waving contest, with more loss than gain for the Europeans

>literally drinking 19th century colonial powers kool-aid

You can't be this fucking naive...

>Taking the natural resources was just something they saw as their payment for those teachings.

No, that was the only reason they colonized those places in the first place, and the most substantial form of technology that was brought in was in the form of railroads that served to transport resources from the interior.

Yes.

yes, native kangdoms were just as if not more oppressive but lacked the same technology

leftist demagogues have created up a myth that oppression is something the white man invented and brought to their shores

fucking hell that pic is depressing

There is a very good chance that it's something an Australian shitpost made on /pol/ or /int/. It could be real but considering it's about Australia and where it's from, it may as week just be bait.

Better off in every case from 19th century on.

Before that was shit, though.

t's a meme you dip

As a black person I'm glad that I wasn't born in Africa. I wouldn't have the same opportunities that I have where I live.
It was definitely not good for the slaves brought here and the many generations that followed though.

You're so fucking retarded

Colonization was undertaken for economic and political reasons, or as a prestige project. It only became seen as altruistic as a result of social developments later on in the 19th century, with the whole religious revival and Darwinism craze, which is where the whole "White man's burden" thing actually comes from.

Infrastructure in colonized countries was built solely for the purpose of extracting resources and exercising control. Railroads were built to directly ship goods for export and facilitate the transportation of troops across the country. Industrial infrastructure was largely restricted to processing, with everything else brought in from the mother country.

The legacy? Colonization and imperialism round the 19th century certainly brought native peoples into contact with the benefits of modern technology, but it also brought them in contact with European ideologies. Places with significant European populations were better off, but that was because more time and effort was put into making them relatively self-sufficient.

In countries where there weren't as many Europeans hanging around, things quickly went to shit because infrastructure would decay and they would lack the industrial capability to replace or repair it, not enough natives were actually educated in civil service and administration, economies were dedicated entirely to export without the goods needed for domestic consumption, and so forth.

Of course. It depends which tribe or group though. Some benefited. Some had mixed results. Some lost out. Pic related.

That's what I said

implying the west could afford that shit without mass exploitation of the rest of the world.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword for me, yeah I'm not roasting boars, throwing spears or carrying big ass jugs of water on my head. But at least I know and understand my ethnicity and true cultural roots. All of that got lost and jumbled into one big label we continue to use yet berate everyone else for using.

It's important not to forget the select few of our ancestors who applied themselves as well even as slaves. Nothing about that excuses the fact that many of us forsake and squander the opportunities they and some white people fought and died for us to have.

Not him, but most of the African colonies at least were built as coaling stations as means of naval power projection to places that really mattered. They really were net losses and not about resources at all.

Aussie banter.

Is there really African countries that are doing well in the present time?

People keep saying that they are third world shitholes filled with disease, no food, no infrastructure, and civil war.

Then they turn around and say that because of their conquests they were more technologically advanced, healthy, and have internet.

I can believe that the Roman empire was a positive influence on Europe and America was a positive influence on Japan because look at them, but the description of Africa seems more in common with Ottoman and USSR imperial influence and doesn't seem positive at all.

>Just kicked back and kept out medicine, agriculture technology, electricity, computers, cars, refrigeration, telephones, computers, the internet and space travel all to ourselves.

What absolute bullshit. Never-colonized places like Japan ended up more advanced than those that were. Colonization was primarily parasitic, pic extremely related

They were slaves for generations before, too.

>Nothing before colonization

Gee I wonder why