Why did the Anglo Saxon and later Vikings convert to Christianity...

Why did the Anglo Saxon and later Vikings convert to Christianity? It seemed such a weak religion and with more restrictions than Germanic Paganism.

Other urls found in this thread:

1001inventions.com/vikings
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columba
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>It seemed such a weak religion
Might want to check up on your history there.

Whites were afraid of getting conquered again.

Old English:
ōs byþ ordfruma ǣlcre sprǣce
wīsdōmes wraþu and wītena frōfur
and eorla gehwām ēadnys and tō hiht

god is the origin of all language
wisdom's foundation and wise man's comfort
and to every hero blessing and hope

Kings converted because of the advantages it gave them.

vikings didn't really give a shit if they worshipped jesus or odin, they still continued to raid and attack people
harald hardrada for example was a christian king and he still invaded england

they did view jesus a bit differently than we do today though, so that might be why

King of Mercia converts so Rome helps him out after his frankish wife prosltysises successfully
Ireland just stayed Christian
Guthrum is the Danish king of Mercia after the great pagan army BTFOs the Anglo Saxons, he is baptised after losing to Alfred the Great
The Danes in Denmark convert because the peasants convert and a life of getting drunk was better than dying in a raid

The Vikings were destroyed by Christian Anglo-Saxons every time they met in pitched battle. There's a reason the Vikings were known specifically for raiding and not for warfare.

Christians had access to the wealth of the southeast

And it gave you free license on top of support to conquer your pagan neighbors

Plus animal sacrifice is expensive

Are you serious?

b-but muh ragnar lothbrok and 5 other le vikings singlehandedly slaughtered billions of anglo-saxon and frankish warriors and conquered paris

dont forget cnut the great and sweyn forkbeard

anglos got pretty fucked at fulford and stamford bridge if you take the amount of casualties compared to how much the anglos outnumbered the norwegians

How did they see Jesus?

PAGANKEKS BTFO

*JESUS CHRIST INTENSIFIES*

i think this was also the same with the franks when they first converted (this is from school a while back, so sorry if i'm mistaken) but early germanic peoples had a habit of portraying jesus as some kind of victorious conqueror. this wasn't too different to how the old gods were portrayed, which made the transition from paganism to christianity easier.

Yes, I am serious. The Danelaw specifically came about after the Battle of Edington, where Guthrum the pagan Viking lost against Alfred and was even forcibly baptised under the terms of surrender. The Danes were defeated again at Tettenhall and the grip the Danes had as a result of Alfred's peacemaking slipped away.

How historically illiterate are you, herald invaded because he was a title claimnant not just because he was Norse

shit tier bait or just an idiot

the franks saw themselves as the heirs to the legacy of the israelites so their kings(charlemagne in particular but also his predecessors/descendants) looked to the old testament which had plenty of biblical examples of pious kings absolutely BTFOing everyone in the name of god

it's likely the first anglo-saxon christian kings saw themselves in a similar way

>who owned england in the end?
>stamford bridge

The Vikings initially saw Jesus as a total faggot. How can you worship a God who died tied up like a cuck and screaming that he was forsaken? He was called the "White Christ" white being a term for a coward or pussy in contrast to the "Red Thor" seen as a symbol of strength and power.

Once Christianity started getting going in Scandinavia Christ was described by priests to appeal to Viking sensibilities. There was a heavier emphasis on Armageddon/Final Battles and Jesus being a badass warrior God who sacrifices himself like Odin but for the sake of his people. There's elaborate descriptions of Jesus going to hell, battling demons, and rescuing the souls of the righteous damned like Moses. Jesus triumphing over death was portrayed as something even the Aesir could not do.

>south east
>implying little more than the Spanish March was ruled by Christians at the time and Barbary pirates weren't a thing

Have you seriously not watched David Starkey monarchy, it's laid out very clearly he converted for political gain not the fires of hell

You mean Cnut the Great, the Christian who gave to England's Benedictine abbeys and travelled to Rome?

paganism wasn't really an organized religion

no while you were watching le epic documentaries about this i was reading:

Mayr-Harting, H., The Coming of Christianity toAnglo-Saxon England (1972).

The Venerable Bede, the Rule of St Benedict, and Social Class
(Jarrow Lecture, Jarrow, 1976).
Meens, R., ‘A background to Augustine’s mission to Anglo-Saxon England’,
ASE23 (1994), 5-17

C. Stancliffe, ‘Kings and conversion: some comparisons between the Roman mission to
England and Patrick’s to Ireland’,
Fruhmittelalterliche Studien
, 14 (1980), 59-94.
Spiegel, F., ‘The
tabernaculaof Gregory the Great and the conversion of Anglo-Saxon England’,
ASE 36 (2007), 1-13 Ullmann, W., A Short History of the Papacy
, 1972, pp. 51-70
Wood, I., ‘The mission of Augustine ofCanterbury to the English’, Speculum
69 (1994), 1-17. Wormald, P., ‘Bede, Beowulf, and the conversion of the Anglo-Saxonaristocracy’, Bede and Anglo-Saxon England ed. R. T. Farrell, BAR Brit ser., 46 (1978), 32-95

suck my dick

he used an army consisting of vikings when invading england, so calling him a viking-king seems accurate

Thanks for that unreadable word salad, faggot. Format your shitposts before sperging out.

i'm not going to waste my time reformating shit i've pasted from reading list pdfs, i was just demonstrating that you're not informed because you sat infront of a screen for two hours and watched a popular historian talk @ you

thanks for playing

I'm not him, moron, fuck me you're insufferable

just shut up and suck his dick, dude

>My idea of """discourse""" is cuntpasting bibliographies because it makes me look kewl on 4chen

pseud

>my historian is more credible than your historian because i read his le book

pretentious

>There's elaborate descriptions of Jesus going to hell, battling demons, and rescuing the souls of the righteous damned like Moses.
Source?

>my idea of ""discourse"" is watching TV

there's more than one book there kiddo and some journal farticles too

wanna fight?

>Being a retard who can't read

>i read a le book that means im right

not impressing anyone here, my pretentious friend

>My idea of ""discourse"" is cuntpasting other people's insults because I can't handle being told to read a book

pseuds belong on the rope

B-b-but muh TV documentary by Goldberg productions. But muh pop-culture history. BUT MUH STRONG NORSE AND MUH PAGANISM.

>I'm rite cuz I pasted a bib

lmao at how Veeky Forums thinks this is an argument

stay adorable you worthless cretins

ODIN SAVE ME WITH YOUR CUM MAGIC !

Having faith in warrior gods seems a lot harder when they consistently lose to what they probably thought was a weaker religion.

Political reasons, but mainly because Christianity is the truth.

>not even hiding the hastily searched Google Books highlights

you're never reading any of the material in lol you just want to LARP on Veeky Forums as le epic srs historian

pseud

thank god we civilized these snowniggers, eating semen and having your wife impregnated behind your back by "odin"(your neighbor) was considered sacred by these dung hut dwellers

unfortunately they seem to have reverted to their old ways in recent years

I'm not even the same guy you retard. Germanicucks are just pathetic and pagan Nordcucks are niggers.

t. eidetic semen shaman

AFAIK Harald Bluetooth converted the Danes to prevent an invasion by the Christians from the south which was supposed to make Denmark Christian.

What the hell are you talking about? Don't you know that Ancient Greece and Rome was Nordic? One historical figure is described as having light hair after all.

The reasons behind pagan conversion are the following, in decreasing order of importance:
- Legal, para-legal, and illegal economic, social and health-related repercussions
- Miracles
- Preaching about hell

pseud mad because he got told to READ A BOOK OMFG HOW DARE SOMEONE TELL MEH TO READ A BOOK???!?!

lmafo stay classy and eternally obsessed with nothing but the smell of your own feces gents

I gave documentaries because hearing is a lot easier to do than focusing on small print. I shall find those later and see why they disagree
>Vikings meme
So they just raided but never engaged in open battle
Were they fierce pagan berzerkers empowered by Thor himself

I wasn't him, should we adopt tripcodes for you to easily see who we are
Book of applcaypse or non canon books properly
Well fuck, but still 'south east' is Arabia and Egypt in this situation non? So how would being Christian benefit trade there
>stereotypical Jewish company will promote Nordicism
Really makes me think
Also Starkey is less well known because of his controversial politics, of course by controversial it's what should be the norm like 'not justifying rioting', 'drugs are bad' he's been on many episodes of question time

That's retarded. Jesus is basically the same guy as Michael. You know, the guy that fought Satan and later would enter the battle of Armageddon commandy the army of God to defeat Satan once and for all? That's basically Jesus's warrior form. If they wanted to sell the story, then they would have started with that.

>preventing crusades
Now if only the Lithuanians had done that and Germany would never form
>para legal
The fuck does that mean
>only one form of media is acceptable
Should history professors go unpaid for lectures then?

Universal religions that have written scripture and can cross nationalities tend to defeat religions bound by oral tradition and an ethnic group.

Universal religions also usually put a large amount of effort in disenfranchising and exterminating their rivals, since universal religions often claim to have the sole/highest truth.

Converting to Christianity allowed the Scandis to open trade and knowledge sharing with the rest of Europe, making them stronger than if they remained isolated.

>muh open borders make us stronguuurrr hurrr
protip: it doesn't you delusional christcuck
isolationism and strong ethnic tribalism does

Ah you mean like the strong ethnic tribes of Afghnistan amiright?

>free exchange of smart people is a bad thing
>scandi farmers who don't know how to farm can take crops from the new world that grow well and actually make a living

Nice bait, father.

How did that work out for the pagan Vikings in the end?

Why does Danelaw look like a leaping rabbit?

>Reddit gets BTFO by someone who actually reads books.

This is why Veeky Forums is shit

>Book of applcaypse or non canon books properly
Canon wasn't the same at that time. Before the reformation and catholic restoration those books were perfectly legitimate holy scripture. They still are if desu if you follow your own canon. The stories weren't made up for germanicucks tho.

>renowned historian is worse than literally who because of the way it was presented
Wow man vikangz so based, fuck Starkey he hates the nords because he's a fag

>Battle of Hastings

Not canonical as needed stuff deemed heavenly inspired but not divine at councils like trent

Anglo-Saxons were practically vikings themselves at that point

Harold Godwinson was half Danish and owed his rise to power to his father's connection to Cnut, and styled himself in a Scandinavian fashion, e.g. Godwinson not Godwining

His housecarls fought like vikings, with Dane axes etc, and the institution itself was brought by vikings.

Modern English is descended from a heavily Norsified dialect that some linguists consider it a North Germanic language

>Saxons stole everything from the Danes
You do know where Saxony historically was right

You may have autism.

>He was called the "White Christ" white being a term for a coward or pussy in contrast to the "Red Thor" seen as a symbol of strength and power.

So does that mean when Heimdall was referred to as "the whitest of gods" they were calling him a giant pussy coward?

Vikings were under Muslim rule. Umayyads/Abbasids.
Vikings were Muslims, there goes your redpill user.
1001inventions.com/vikings

Normans were vikings :^)

>How can you worship a God who died tied up like a cuck and screaming that he was forsaken?
Why don't you ask the Berserkers who worshipped their Odin, nailed to a tree a gyped out of an eye. Oh yeah, and he sacrificed himself to himself too.
Yea, splain this shit.

Christianity is the religion of the strong, Paganism is the religion of the weak.

Impotent idols cannot defend themselves or their people. The one God, on the other hand, has destroyed every evil empire.

No, it's Baldr who is "the whitest of the Gods", and he is described as tame, effeminate, and beautiful, but also good and kind.

There's numerous comparisons between him and "the white Christ" in modern academia dealing with norse mythology. Some even believe Baldr is the result of a Christening of an earlier norse fertility God.

not sure about Vikings but for Scotland Saint Columba was a big influence en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columba

As Odin.

They were both wise men who died tied to a tree for a long time, but rose from the dead.

The Franks, remember England was poor diaunited backwater in this time. The continent had a large influence on them.

It began with Aidan, his disciples at Lindisfarne and the pretty books they crafted there. The work at Lindisfarne began the Christianization of the North, it was the Lord's foothold for reaching the English people. After Aidan came the venerable Bede who was famous for his wisdom and the church built up English learning so that it became renowned throughout Europe. For instance Alcuin of York was teacher of the Carolingian court at the invitation of Charlemagne himself!

Odin never brought this much honor to any of his so-called children and people were starting to notice. So when men like Boniface and Willibrord showed up and started telling the Germanics about the Gospel they were ready to listen because they could see the glory that the Allfather was blessing them with. Boniface proved that the Holy Spirit was stronger than Thor when he cut down his oak in front of everyone. Even the Norsemen were starting to find Jesus because of the English. Norse kings would send their sons to be tutored in England and Cnut the Great was the only Norse to be king of England and he was a good Christian man who we all remember as great to this day. A better memory than characters like Eric Bloodaxe or Ivar the Boneless that is for sure. So the Lord showed He was greater than the Aesir because of the favor He blessed His people with like the time when Alfred the Great defeated the pagan vikings even after it looked like all hope had been lost. So the Lord just kept winning again and again until His superiority was unquestionable.