Do Orthodox believe Catholics go to Hell? Do Catholics believe Orthodox go to Hell?

Do Orthodox believe Catholics go to Hell? Do Catholics believe Orthodox go to Hell?

How badly did 1054 divide the two churches?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
youtube.com/watch?v=fD-iMC6LZF8
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if you believe in God and that Christ is your savior you do not go to hell

And is this a mutually held position...?

lol cathocucks don't even believe protties go to hell these days

Yeah kind of, now days at least. Orthodox and Catholicism are much closer to being one religion than, say, Calvinist and Catholics.

well in Dante's inferno their souls are put into caskets along with athiests and burned alive for all eternity

I don't recall that bit.

6th circle of hell, look it up or read the book again

>Do Orthodox believe Catholics go to Hell? Do Catholics believe Orthodox go to Hell?
Christ told us not to worry about the fate of others, such as when Christ foretold the martyrdom of all but one Apostle.
However, the Roman Catholic warped version of he'll is incorrect. Orthodox and early church saw Hades as the waiting place for the dead until Judgement. "Hell" is not a pit of fire, but rather your passions consuming you and your hatred of God causing you to be burnt eternally from His warmth, love, uncreated light, grace. Those who know God will not be hategul, but warmed by this same light.
And no, grace is eternal and uncreated as it is Him.

>How badly did 1054 divide the two churches?
Very. Too much to cover here, but the Roman Catholic Church split from the Church. You don't call an amputated arm a body, hence it is not the Church.

>if you believe in God and that Christ is your savior you do not go to hell
Faith alone is not enough. "Many will say Lord, Lord... But do know you not".

T. Orthodox

Just looked through it, it says nothing about the Orthodox.

Nor is The Divine Comedy canon so...

There's a bit more to it than that. Even sticking with the New Teatament and ignoring the huge corpus of Church literature that sprung up from the first century onwards (the Didachs, etc.), it's clear there's more to it than that.

Furthermore, it's a commonly held position that no one has the right to pronounce judgment on the eternal salvation or damnation of another. Such claims presumes a level of knowledge known only to God. Sure, the Church can declare certain people and beliefs as anathema/excommunicate, but the former does not preclude repentance and the latter is not a punishment as such, and also can be repented of.

Completely incorrect. There is a huge gulf between Rome and the East that in many ways goes beyond the divisions between Catholics and Protestants.

Good post but I'd only correct that the true divide between East and West may have begun in 1054, but was only truly solidified over the next couple centuries - some would say not even fully until the Fourth Crusade.

>Good post but I'd only correct that the true divide between East and West may have begun in 1054, but was only truly solidified over the next couple centuries - some would say not even fully until the Fourth Crusade
Thanks.
Sadly, Lord have mercy.

If anyone uses the Inferno to colour their imagination of hell, they're a fucking moron. Even by Catholic standards it's fantasy-level at best. FFS, half of it is inspired by Pagan beliefs and works.

The only good part of it is its depiction of the central pit of the Inferno, which is ironically not fire but ice, where Lucifer is trapped. This actually quite poignantly captures the proper Christian understanding that the soul's openness to God is just as important as God's judgment open the soul (and if St. Basil is to be believed, Christ's judgment is just that - forcing your soul to look at itself as if in a mirror).

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?’ 23 Then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.’

Matthew 23:33 “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Orthodox do not believe that Catholics can receive the Holy Spirit or Grace.

Not from the Orthodox point of view.

My understanding is that Catholics are far more interested in reunification than orthodox are. While Catholics consider the east's sacraments valid, the orthodox do not extend the the same benefit.

Its clear that some of the more liberal patriarchs are somewhat interested but there is no consensus in the orthodox church for that and it seems that many Orthodox view bishops friendly with the catholic church with some suspicion, the Patriarch who lifted the anathema for instance is often accused of being a freemason.

the nu-catholics believe all religions are good and no one goes to hell now

hell under borgoglio they probably believe now that only Donald Trump voters will go to hell

From what I remember when I was in Catholic school, only God himself/itself can judge who goes to Hell. I'm not certain if other Catholics see it that way, but that's what my priest told me.

>your passions consuming you and your hatred of God causing you to be burnt eternally
What about atheists who don't believe there's a God to begin with? They can't be harmed by their passion of "hate" because you can't hate something you don't believe exists in the first place.

yep

Exactly, you wouldn't go to hell for being an atheist, as long as you're a good person you can be saved by god.

Orthodox here: some of us do, some of us don't, but the preferred position is DON'T SPECULATE.

The schism isn't what set us apart so much as what happened since then. There is an extremely real posibillity of reunion with the Oriental Orthodox, and that schism is 1,600 years old; but there is *zero* possibility of reunion with the Papists at this point, and anyone who says otherwise is either ill-informed or delusional.

want to expand on that? If that is true why does the ecumenical patriarch make buddy buddy with the pope every so often?

Expanding: Catholic theology is completely irreconcilable with Orthodox theology due to post-schism developments among Catholics. But even with the Filioque alone it would be impossible, since the Catholic explanation and justifaction of the Filioque are both overtlly heretical, even if there is an Orthodox way to read it.

The Ecumenical Patriarch is just one bishop, and he represents the fringe here, not the median.

Honey I'm Catholic and I know even good atheists and muslims go to heaven

Honey I'm Catholic and I know even good atheists and muslims go to heaven

Tell that to Satan

>What about atheists who don't believe there's a God to begin with? They can't be harmed by their passion of "hate" because you can't hate something you don't believe exists in the first place
>Exactly, you wouldn't go to hell for being an atheist, as long as you're a good person you can be saved by god

In response to both: assuming the atheists heard of Our Savior Jesus Christ, God, the Holy Spirit, and yet still chose to turn their back, then yes, they would by their own actions nor enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Virtues not done for Christ's sake mean little because they glorify ones self only, not God. If an atheist truly never, ever once heard of Christ, they'd be given a chance in Hades and then their actions would be judged according to their new Faith in Him, their actions in light of their new Faith, etc.

>Honey I'm Catholic and I know even good atheists and muslims go to heaven
Please tell me you're LARPing. That's categorically not true. Christ is salvation, and without His truth then you cannot be with Him in His kingdom, no matter how virtuous you might have been. Muslims worship Satan and not God, while Muslims and atheists both deny His Son, Jesus Christ.

No one on earth has the authority or knowledge to say who will go to heaven or not, best you can do is guess but it's up to God who goes not you.

Only those in the zwumbiwi tribe in africa goes to "heaven", they say the right words to their understanding of god.
Christ is a meme created by the roman empire

>Virtues not done for Christ's sake mean little
what heresy is this?
virtue is virtue, and doing it for any other sake than itself is not virtuous but immoral

>Muslims worship Satan

Uwotm8.jpg

cant be a "good" person without god though

with god there are no good people

Jesus is god

yes they are

You're not.

>what heresy is this?
>virtue is virtue, and doing it for any other sake than itself is not virtuous but immoral
1 Corinthians 13. Also, St. Seraphim Sarovski says much the same in acquisition of the Holy Spirit.. that if it's not done for Christ's sake it matters not as or isn't to the glory of God and isn't out of love, but rather to flatter our passions.

No

Orthodox and Catholic pretty much agree on most theological things, but the Pope is illegitimate so Orthodoxy (for now) is the only way.
>Protestant 'Christians'

>the Pope is illegitimate

The bishop of Rome is one of many patriarchs.

>The bishop of Rome WAS one of many patriarchs.

FTFY

Now he is "the Vicar of Christ" and is deemed infallible via contortion of scripture. The Pope holds the office of shepherding the Church, invoked as it was held by the apostles, as a group or "college" allegedly with Saint Peter at their head.

Anyone who's not an idiot can see that this is a political monopolisation of religious power.

Well, they sure don't worship the Father, Son or Holy Spirit

muh Donation of Constantine

No, that's Aristotlean, not Christian. Christianity is about following God's will; anything you do of your own will, rather than God's will, is sin, because it widens the chasm between your energies and his

Ill give you he is on the fringe but correct me if I dont detect more opposition coming from the Russian orthodox and their sphere than from the Greeks

Didn't a previous patriarch lift the excommunication? what effect if any does that have on the relationship?

The Greek bishops of Greece are not especially fond of the EP, just those outside of Greece. And even those supportive of his diplomatic attitude toward the Pope tend to just see it as good will, and have no illusions or desire for reunion.

passion for virtue IS love for God
but doing works "for sake of God" usually is just done "so I can go to heaven" which is egoistic and immoral

Meh, I consider Orthodox bro-teir

t. Catholic

being virtuous already = doing God's will
you may not believe in any God and still do His will

No, doing God's will is subitting yourself in total obedience and humility to God. Being virtuous of your own will is worthless, no matter how good the works are.

>doing God's will is subitting yourself in total obedience
you may have mistaken God for Tzar there
And virtue is never worthless, because it is that exactly - virtue. And virtue is good. Always. And God wants good.

I'll stick with what the Fathers say, thanks

>passion for virtue IS love for God
An Hindu can give alms to alleviate the suffering of the poor, yet he does it not for Christ, for He knows not Christ, thus he doesn't know the Father.
>but doing works "for sake of God" usually is just done "so I can go to heaven" which is egoistic and immoral
Hardly, but that may be your own experience. Ultimately, it is a means to acquire the Holy Spirit, but it is vain if not done for God.

>you may have mistaken God for Tzar there
Not him, but Christ is King, Czar, Tsar, etc
>And virtue is never worthless, because it is that exactly - virtue. And virtue is good. Always. And God wants good.
He does, as His Word instructs us to live one another as ourselves. However, it does not bestow us God's grace or bring us closer to God or bring the Holy Spirit to fill us if it is not done for Christ's sake.

>If an atheist truly never, ever once heard of Christ, they'd be given a chance in Hades and then their actions would be judged according to their new Faith in Him, their actions in light of their new Faith, etc.
Then doesn't proselytizing actively damn more people to hell? In fact, telling anyone about Jesus is potentially the worst possible thing you could do for someone's soul.

>xD

The monks ultimately have all the power, they just are not interested in flexing it; but the laity will aslways side with the monks if the majority of them are on one side, and the clergy on the other. And I can tell you right now, Orthodox monks are ultra traditionalists

No

>image
Is that really why easter eggs are easter eggs?

Those who heard yet denied are taking themselves from God, God is not taking them.

Most likely, that's at least what some Orthodox do.

>Catholic God Tier
>"Peter was made head of the Church of God!"

>Even though throughout the Bible Peter is just treated like any other Apostle, especially when the Apostles came together to make decisions.

Based Saint Seraphim of Sarov

I- is that a woman's hand and nails?

Also
>Peter was bishop of Antioch before he was bishop of Rome
>Latins ignore this

>you are Rome, and on this see I build my church
Latins don't read Cyprian of Carthage

>Inferno is scripture

Are you retarded?

It's aesthetically pleasing extra-biblical tradition, so to Catholics it outranks scripture.

This post is cringe kino

btw guys.

Christ is risen!

It's not that we want the Catholics and Orthodox to join together, but that the Catholics become Orthodox.

Sad because I can't decide between Orthodoxy and Catholicism.

:-(

Truly he is risen!

That will never happen, at least not from the Vatican

Orthodox and Catholic compared
youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk

youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo

Roman Catholic hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o

Orthodox hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

Roman Catholic hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=fD-iMC6LZF8

Orthodox hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc

So what's the point of being Catholic? Why be a Catholic. If non-Catholics can go to Heaven.

Go Rome or go home.

Read The Path to Salvation, by Theophan the Recluse. You will never, ever even faintly consider any other spiritual path than Orthodoxy ever again.

>Certainly the other Apostles also were what Peter was, endued with an equal fellowship both of honour and power; but a commencement is made from unity, that the Church may be set before as one; which one Church, in the Song of Songs, doth the Holy Spirit design and name in the Person of our Lord: My dove, My spotless one, is but one; she is the only one of her mother, elect of her that bare her

>Our Lord whose precepts and warnings we ought to observe, determining the honour of a Bishop and the ordering of His own Church, speaks in the Gospel and says to Peter, I say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and on this rock I will build My Church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven. Thence the ordination of Bishops, and the ordering of the Church, runs down along the course of time and line of succession, so that the Church is settled upon her Bishops; and every act of the Church is regulated by these same Prelates

The Unity of the Catholic Church [A.D. 251], by Saint Cyprian

i don't need religion

my religion is science

my gods are Newton, Einstein etc.

*tips fedora*

Nah, Orthodox won't go to hell.

pro-tip : [spoiler]it's Church teaching[/spoiler]

So what's the point of being Non-Catholic? Why be a Non-Catholic. If Catholics can go to Heaven.

Because Orthodox > Catholic

Ten differences between Orthodox and Catholicism.

1. Orthodox reject inheritability of sin. Death and suffering are human nature, we only don't suffer them when partaking in perfect synergism with God's energies, which we haven't since the fall.

2. The Orthodox reject the "satisfaction theory of atonement". The Orthodox subscribe to "Christus Victor" (the idea of atonement illustrated in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

3. Hell in Orthodoxy is not separation from God. Hell, like heaven, is experiencing the full radiance of God's light and presence, but with a negative relationship so that it is like fire.

4. The Orthodox reject the idea that our understanding of dogma develops. The idea is to keep the exact same understanding the Apostles have, invented terminology is not meant to develop the understanding, but to PROTECT it from being "developed".

5. Catholics define usury as excessive interest, Orthodox define usury as any interest.

6. The Orthodox reject the Catholic idea of supererogation.

7. The Orthodox reject Purgatory. The Orthodox do, however, distinguish Sheol (called "Hades" in Greek) from Gehenna.

8. Orthodoxy places enormous emphasis on fasting, in fact more than half the days of the year involve some sort of fast. And there are even some days which are total fasts, no intake, period. Two consistent fast days (almost every Wednesday and Friday, no meat, dairy, eggs, fish, oils or wine) trace back at least to the Didache.

9. Orthodox draw most of their priests from the married laity, but most of their bishops from monks.

10. Infants can and do receive Holy Communion.

What if I'm a serial killer and a pedophile?

They do worship the father and the son, however

Wrong. They say Christ is not the Son of God, and that God saved him frpm crucifixion because Christ got scared. They also deny God the Father in saying we are not made God's image, and that the Son is not his Son. Therefore whatever they worship and get their writings from, he is not one of the Trinity.