How come some people dismiss feelings as "just a chemical reaction?"

How come some people dismiss feelings as "just a chemical reaction?"

Should we not also dismiss atoms as "just a bunch of subatomic particles?"

Is something less valuable just because it is the sum of something else?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_field_theory
lesswrong.com/lw/r9/quantum_mechanics_and_personal_identity/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mereological_nihilism
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1. BECAUSE THEY ARE MATERIALISTS.

2. FEELINGS ARE NOT THE SUM OF "BIOCHEMICAL REACTIONS".

>I didn't "shoot" that guy, I just re-arranged his particles, judge!

How old were you when you learned that (the expression of) emotions are historical contingent?
BTW we can't differ between emotions and any other cognitive functions anymore.

dumb gorillaposter

It means instead of assuming feelings are the be all end all and that love is some magical transcendental force, you should be aware that they're just a given reaction "intended" for a specific purpose which may or may not be appropriate for the situation.

>muh biology
wrong

It seems to be some sort of fallacy.

Yes, just because a phenomenon can be explained and broken down into smaller and simpler entities doesn't make it less important or complex.
It seems like naive people automatically conflate the phenomenon with the individual parts.

>newfag gorillaposters don't know about the great bearposting gorillaposting war of spring 2016

>Question concerning technology

>Special snowflake not so special after empiricism

What you are reading right now is just 0 and 1

Not an argument.
Emotions being "just" chemicals in specific architecture give us more control over the minute details of our lives.

Choosing the right partner, for instance, by dismembering your history of surging emotions and imprinting-conditioning reactions. Maintaining a high, productive mood. Vasopressins, neuroleptics, beta-blockers when your SNS is too active. Vasoconstrictors and catecholamine reuptake inhibitors when it's not active enough.

It would be different if the stringent and mechanistic perspective didn't produce superior results to the opponent view of the body as a mystic and ineffable vessel, when it's really no different than a pile of sea-slugs knitted into one another.

>Should we not also dismiss atoms as "just a bunch of subatomic particles?"
Actually, yes, but you're not being reductionist enough:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_field_theory

BTFO

Really made me think

A better explanation, I think:
lesswrong.com/lw/r9/quantum_mechanics_and_personal_identity/

The scourge of mathematical platonism: every feeling, every emotion, every desire, and every dream must be defined by a chemical and a number with complex formulae to define every parameter of that number.

The current inability for platonists to enforce their will on any field or any person's perception outside of the sciences is testament to how foolish the attempt to define qualia by numbers truly is.

>Would the duplicate be really you, or just a copy?

A copy. I came first. A M1911 made in 1912 has the same parts as the original finished one but since it came afterwards, it cannot be the original. Its history and "life" is different from the original and it will go to other places than the original. Likewise, someone with a copy of my DNA, atoms, quarks and such like and with my memories cannot truly be me and I cannot be him. We're twins of a sort but I was born first god damn it. I would reconsider my answer the day quantum physicists get their heads out of their asses with these pretentious spiels about existence and find a way to put this experiment to the test

Honestly I'm not sure how the quantum guys deal with life. Sure, we're nothing but atoms and bioelectricity and all our emotions and feelings are nothing but the results of evolution and chemicals but reductionism will do little to curtail the effects emotions have on us all.

Will you fight or will you perish like a dog

>you should be aware that they're just a given reaction "intended" for a specific purpose which may or may not be appropriate for the situation.
Why?
What exactly is determing "appropriateness" other than those exact same chemical reactions which may or not be "appropriate"?

Do you see now why your statement is self-negating and meaningless? Attempting to think outside of a human perspective is a fools errand and ultimately self-destructive, like compulsively performing auto-vivisection.

You are like a little baby.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mereological_nihilism

>Why
That same bundle of molecules, "you," presumably has desires and goals (which, yes, before you object, are also based on the movement patterns of charges and molecules.) Succumbing to immediate emotional states, such as excessive anger, love/lust etc. may or may not be detrimental to achieving said long term goals. There is a reason there is a portion of the brain dedicated directly to allow thought to tone down intense emotional reactions (the anterior cingulate cortex, if you are curious). If this portion of the brain exists in humans, then the assumption that it reflects a perspective outside human thought seems strange. In fact, you could argue that the ability to engage in meta-cognition, to analyze one's own thoughts and act upon that analysis rather than automatically to the original thought itself, is a hallmark of human cognition.

Autism

Your last paragraph is exactly how we deal with life. Emotions still affect us. Happiness is still happiness. It's not that emotions and life in general is insignificant. They are to you, me, and every normal person out there. It's that retards refuse to acknowledge that it really is all explained or will eventually be explained physically and just shove their heads in the sand and scream "NO NO NO MUH QUALIA HAHA DUMB GODLESS KEKS" and just keep arguing that consciousness, emotions, etc. just can't be the result of (vastly complex) physical processes.

Fuck, why is this so hard to grasp?

They are indeed significant*

From the top to bottom, all things already posses mind.

Yeah, they can be explained physically, since we live in a physical universe but they are still important to us since we're physical beings and subject to them. I know that every time I feel pleasure from jerking off or feel tension from watching a suspenseful movie or feel angry at something is the result of chemicals or the love I have for my family is the result of billions of years of evolution and shit or what have you but I don't give a shit because at the end of the day I still feel pleasure, tension, anger and love all the same.

I think the thing is, we mythologize the human condition and humanity so much that we view ourselves as something totally divorced from nature and what not. We think it's this complex thing that transcends nature when it still very much rooted in it and those roots should not and in fact do not cheapen it