Why did nationalism only start appearing in the 1800s?

Why did nationalism only start appearing in the 1800s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_2auYMS-VM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patois
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

before that there was feudalism

after napoleon ended it, the masses could partake in ideologies that represented their interests, like nationalism

my guess

Because it's an invention of bourgeois elites that wanted to get rid of aristocratic power.
no

Fighting for your king/religion was the norm then, plus if you dont understand the dialect of the village 10 km from yours, why would you feel conected ?
Then comes the french revolution who says that you are part of your country, equal among all its cityzens, you feel proud of their achievements and you get nationalism.

>1800s
Try the 1500s
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_2auYMS-VM

>Try the 1500s

More like try Old Testament times.

>plus if you dont understand the dialect of the village 10 km from yours

Is this actually true? I mean I've seen several people on Veeky Forums claim this, but it sounds memeish to me

it depends heavily on where you are in Europe, and at what time

Tell your junior high history teaching that it was an result of vernacular printing culture and the rising economic power of the bourgeoisie.

Because people learned that the world is a big place and its probably best to gather around those who speak the same language, eat the same food, and share the same beliefs. They thought it would be cool to draw lines around these people until (((they))) decided that was enough.

It always existed, but the nineteenth century was the rise of nationalist MASS movements or, to put it another way, nationalism became widespread among the lower and middle classes, either spontaneously or through elite directed initiatives to mobilize the country's resources more effectively for warfare. Before this, nationalism as a political force was only useful in so far as it gave the political elites cohesion, hence why historians refer to the political class as the "political nation" (at least in my readings of English history)

to give the example of france, less than one fourth of the population of the Kingdom of France spoke Parisian French on the eve of the French Revolution (1789). However, all but the most parochial French nobility and state officials knew French to converse at the French court or in areas where respectable society congregated. This class of French speakers not only spoke the same language, but read the same literature and thereby held a similar conception of France and the world. Poland-Lithuania also had a similar political elite which all engaged in a polonized culture regardless of whether they were Lithuanian, Belorussian or Ukrainian in origin.

Because that's when globalism really started taking hold and affecting the common people

That was when it started becoming a meme. Orkhon Inscriptions are pretty close to modern nationalism for example and they are from 730s or something.

An excerpt:
"(Turkish nation) you went to east and the west, you left the holy place Otukan and what did you accomplish in these lands? Your blood flowed like rivers and your bones formed mountains. Turkish nation left its own king (or khan) and ruled by others. When ruled by others Turkish nation died and was lost."

So yeah, it was around, but it was more tribal and more about following a leader rather than a country. It didn't "only" start appearing in 1800s underlying foundations were there already.

No it wasn't, peasants generally did not fight in medieval wars. Nobles did.

A meme excuse to build public schooling

>Globalism

Can someone explain what does this meme means? It started to appear like year or two back, but I am yet to hear a coherent description.

Note this was taken in france in the 1850's. So some literacy programs were taken and thus more of france spoke French.

After the Franco-Prussian war France started investing heavily into education. This is when we see French(parisian) start to become universal in the country as literacy sky rockets. They did this to create more unity in the nation. French was the only language taught so areas with high literacy rates means that those areas were French speaking, or learned French quickly from large investments there.

It means machinations to force humanity into a singular state. This usually includes things like "multiculturalism" which aims to stifle the development of a strong, unique culture of an area by inundating it with lukewarm versions of other, foreign cultures. Thus the people of that area now are more receptive of being ruled by foreigners, as they have a much weaker in-group identity

That's in terms of immigration and cultural exchanges. Globalism did wonders for transportation, trade and peace keeping.

if anything, it is what fuels nationalism.

>peace keeping
[citation needed]

It's just a buzzword Alex Jones uses to describe a process called "internationalization"

It's bullshit

I'm French and i understand every dialect from the Gascon to the Wallon

That seems exagerated to me also. But there definitely were several dialects (Patois), and the combination of dialects plus accents probably would have given a hard time for some people to understand each other : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patois

Well nationalism and globalism are basically the same thing. Globalism is just nationalism scaled up slightly.

>Orleananis
No such thing

We speak French and there was never a dialect here

This guy gets it.

What we call 'nationalism' today really includes a pretty wide variety of ideologies and identities, some of which have been around forever and others only emerging fairly recently. Populist mass nationalism is largely a creation of early modern Europe, but a sense of cultural, ancestral, territories, linguistic or religious unity has tied together countless cultures, usually at an elite level, for as long as societies have been around. Some might be dismissed as 'tribalism', but others are clearly much larger-scale and transcend tribal, familial or regional boundaries.

For example, in medieval Ireland there was a complete lack of political unity, but there was a strong sense of cultural unity due to a common language and a shared legal and bardic tradition, and a clear differentiation between 'Irish' and 'foreigners' (Vikings and later English) in contemporary sources. This was always played up in propagandist texts which implied the 'foreigners' were encroaching on rightful Irish clay, and though these don't reflect reality, the fact that they were written at all is evidence for a kind of cultural proto-nationalism among at least some of the literate population.

There are plenty of other examples, from ancient Egypt to Sassanid Iran to 19th century Uganda.