ITT: People who did LITERALLY nothing wrong

ITT: People who did LITERALLY nothing wrong

McCarthy was an American hero. He was absolutely right about the threat of Communist infiltrators in America. It's disgusting how the authors of modern history books slander him as being unhinged and an alcoholic and such.

>McCarthy apologists
disgusting. He targeted political minorities and accused people of being a political minority as if it was a bad thing. It's like how people target gays now or accuse someone as being gay because they know society will treat them badly once they are branded that way. just fuck off

>It's like how people target gays now
lol.

Killed a soviet agent and would be president who wanted to become a South African Mugabe.

excuse me?

He was not a crook.

The liberal establishment and democrat-controlled congress were just looking for any excise to fuck Nixon because he didn't put up with their bullshit.

Meanwhile today all that's taught about Nixon is "muh sweaty debate" (didn't actually effect his polling numbers and he won the other debates) and "muh undermined public confidence in government" (as if the media didn't hate and distrust nixon from the start and the public wasn't already totally disillusioned after lbj and vietnam)

What country do you live in that people accuse opponents of homosexuality in order to marginalize them? You're trying to draw a parallel between red-baiting and gay bashing but it rings hollow because there are literally no politicians that gay bash to curry political favor.

He was though because of his paranoia even if several other presidents did much worse things. He also had other fuck ups. He was better than Johnson for sure.

*in America today

all good answers

Hunter Thompson was basically right about Nixon.

>Richard Nixon has never been one of my favorite people anyway. For years I’ve regarded his existence as a monument to all the rancid genes and broken chromosomes that corrupt the possibilities of the American Dream; he was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena and the style of a poison toad. The Nixon I remembered was absolutely humorless; I couldn’t imagine him laughing at anything except maybe a paraplegic who wanted to vote Democratic but couldn’t quite reach the lever on the voting machine.
>What we are looking at on all our TV sets is a man who finally, after 24 years of frenzied effort, became the President of the United States with a personal salary of $200,000 a year and an unlimited expense account including a fleet of private helicopters, jetliners, armored cars, personal mansions and estates on both coasts and control over a budget beyond the wildest dream of King Midas . . . and all the dumb bastard can show us, after five years of total freedom to do anything he wants with all this power, is a shattered national economy, disastrous defeat in a war we could have ended four years ago on far better terms than he finally came around to, and a hand-picked personal staff put together through five years of screening, whose collective criminal record will blow the minds of high-school American History students for the next 100 years.

Posting an old favorite

except his idiotic insistence in using espionage to win an election he was probably going to win anyway led to a governmental crisis leading to international inaction that was exploited by the communist Vietnamese to unite their county and thus put to waste all the American lives spent trying to prevent precisely that from happening

>blaming the energy crisis and the Vietnam War on Nixon

>invading russia
>did noting wrong

>What country do you live in that people accuse opponents of homosexuality in order to marginalize them?
I never said that happened in a political context
>there are literally no politicians that gay bash to curry political favor.
and I never said otherwise

Tee bee aytch, there's nothing wrong with blaming him for botching the Paris Peace Accords.

He ruined real efforts to root out spies, which is a pretty fucking sensitive operation to do, so he could holler and chimp out and get re-elected. What a selfish retard.

Is that why Barry Goldwater told him to resign?
"didn't put up with their bullshit"? What do you call passing environmental and housing legislation?

It's still very possible to justify vilifying Nixon, but having this cartoonish an impression of him when so much of his private life is now public is pretty unreasonable.

Don't mind me

Begone rosbifs

Hunter S. Thompson directed snuff films for the Illuminati.

Your initial point drew the comparison between the red-baiting of McCarthy and "how people target gays now", I responded "lol" because that comparison is absurd and doesn't reflect reality.

>It's like how people target gays now or accuse someone as being gay because they know society will treat them badly once they are branded that way.
I don't like McCarthy either but I agree with the other user that this is a pretty dumb analogy

>It was Richard Nixon who got me into politics, and now that he's gone, I feel lonely. He was a giant in his way. As long as Nixon was politically alive -- and he was, all the way to the end -- we could always be sure of finding the enemy on the Low Road. There was no need to look anywhere else for the evil bastard. He had the fighting instincts of a badger trapped by hounds. The badger will roll over on its back and emit a smell of death, which confuses the dogs and lures them in for the traditional ripping and tearing action. But it is usually the badger who does the ripping and tearing. It is a beast that fights best on its back: rolling under the throat of the enemy and seizing it by the head with all four claws.

>That was Nixon's style -- and if you forgot, he would kill you as a lesson to the others. Badgers don't fight fair, bubba. That's why God made dachshunds

>If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.

>Some people will say that words like scum and rotten are wrong for Objective Journalism -- which is true, but they miss the point. It was the built-in blind spots of the Objective rules and dogma that allowed Nixon to slither into the White House in the first place. He looked so good on paper that you could almost vote for him sight unseen. He seemed so all-American, so much like Horatio Alger, that he was able to slip through the cracks of Objective Journalism. You had to get Subjective to see Nixon clearly, and the shock of recognition was often painful.

t. Hunter S Thompson

you guys obviously are in the west and only thinking about the west. things aren't all uniform around the world.

anyway, why argue with my analogy instead of the point I was trying to make, which is that he was a shitface just harassing minorities

Not really, he was the first person to point out the fact that there were missing documents on counter-intelligence that traced back to communist spies in the US, which included the leaking of nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union.

Ethel & Julius Rosenberg were only a small portion of people who turned out to be communists. But of course the massive amounts of media hysteria over very basic accusations which didn't ruin anyone's careers is just too much for plebians to understand.

Of course I'm in the West. This is a thread about an American political history. I brought attention to your comparison because it reveals a stark ignorance about the topic you're trying to comment on.

Nixon shock ruined American finance and opening relations with China led to the slow burn of American industry.

Nixon was shit even if you ignore watergate and every other scummy thing his cabinet did.

This

Right

Wrong

just because the topic is about the west doesn't mean by analogy has to be about the west goddamn you're fucking retarded

and what do you know you're still avoiding the point after I just said you're avoiding it

>by analogy
my*

That's backwards.

It seems awfully queer to me that in a topic about American political history you would conjure up a comparison that only makes sense in places like Nigeria without making any indication that's what you were referring to.

that's it. you can't seem to get past arguing against an analogy. you aren't interested in actually discussing anything you just want to obfuscate. not going to respond to you anymore

Will you admit your analogy was bad?

mccarthy taught me that you can have a poor argument/have no evidence and still be right

He realized he had betrayed his own motherland, he is the very archtype of "did nothing wrong"

> accusations which didn't ruin anyone's careers.

Most of the accused were rehired into other government offices within a few years. Most stories are just exaggerated propaganda from the 4th estate.

>and accused people of being a political minority as if it was a bad thing
>communism being a good thing
>ever

unironically

What a fagg

Found the leftie.

Only real answer ITT

Did someone say Thermidorian Reaction?

stupid libtard get out

He was right about almost everything. Communist jews had inflitrated the US government specially under the FDR administration. Of course the jew intelligentsia is still trying to defame and demonise him. Hysterical little rats they never change

/thread

Commies were working to subversively undermine the United States and gays in 2017 do not face the political persecution they faced even 15 years ago.

F

McCarthy was a sniveling piece of shit.

Oh yes he was.
He had serious ties to organized crime

I don't particularly like Nixon, mainly for putting Kissinger in the heart of american foreign politics for decades, but what's with the Thompson quoting?

he is literally a meme-tier journalist

Because I have a soft spot in my heart for polemics.

Also, emotion fades with time. You want to have a certain understanding of people's subjective feelings if you're to understand history.

Not even like McCartthyism stopped smart people from being Marxist. If anything, it galvanized them. THe US's foreign policy against marxism was probably more successful than their domestic one

He was a flawed man who was right about many things but chose to be flippant with the truth in order to make people worry about the (very real) danger more than they would've.

Nixon was just the first president to get caught doing shady stuff

I don't understand why Americans hate Kissinger

No

He committed a substantial amount of war crimes in Cambodia and Bangladesh, and he would be in prison if the United States subjected itself to an international criminal court

Thompson is meme-tier because we're over saturated with opinionated editorials by journalists today. At the time of Watergate, his reporting was revolutionary.

But why do Americans hate him?

>Nixon was just the first president to get caught doing shady stuff
Ha, no. He just happened to get caught at a time when Americans had no penchant for putting up with bullshit. Several presidents have been caught in worse.

He really is a story of downfall that didn't have to happen
He was insanely popular and a lot of people agreed with and supported his policies, he was bridging gaps between conservatives and liberals in ways that a lot of people could vibe with, but he ruined it all with his paranoia and now his presidency is (unwarrantedly) regarded as a failure.

Well, committing acts of terrorism and evil tends to discredit a country, lessen its allies, and make the world a more dangerous place

If you're asking why we hate Kissinger for war crimes, when people like George W. Bush and Barack Obama also committed acts of terrorism; the answer's that I can't speak for everyone, but Kissinger was unique in dedicating his entire public career to doing immoral things overseas to make the soviets think we were tough, lying to the president and congress at home, encouraging the "madman" Nixon charade, and pushing for an increasingly aggressive foreign policy

Noam Chomsky exposed that the bombings of Cambodia killed over 800,000 alone; and the US lucked out when those numbers were added to Pol Pot's campaign of extermination by a French catholic priest, who didn't care about numerical accuracy, and who wanted to make communism look bad

>There are no confirmed estimates of Cambodians killed, wounded, or rendered homeless by Operation Menu. The Department of Defense estimated that the six areas bombed in Operation Menu (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack, Dessert, and Supper) had a non-combatant population of 4,247. DOD planners stated that effect of attacks could tend to increase casualties, as could the probable lack of protective shelters around Cambodian homes".[31]

>Each of the target areas was small. Area 353 (Breakfast), was only 25 square kilometres (9.7 sq mi) in size and had an estimated population of 1,640 people. B-52s flew 228 sorties into this single area to bomb. Each B-52 can carry up to 108 bombs weighing 225 kilograms (496 lb) and spread them equally over a "box" about 1.5 kilometer long by one-half kilometer wide (1 mile by .3 miles); thus, nearly 25,000 bombs may have been dropped in Area 353 alone. The other target areas had similar saturation rates of bombs.[32]

800,000 seems somewhat hyperbolic.

Chomsky doesn't exaggerate

People like Bush and Barack Obama got away with acts of terrorism because the American people wanted the President to be "Guy Who I wanna Have a Beer with". Bush and Obama seem too friendly and trustworthy. Indiviually Bush just went way over his head while Obama gets a pass for being 1st.Black President.

Based Vlad, inventor of the shish kebab.

Jerzy Sebastian Lubomirski, Field Hetman of the Crown in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

>be Lubomirski
>country in crisis on several fronts
>the biggest threat is a huge Swedish invasion rolling in
>king flees the country, mass defections to enemy side
>be one of the only high level commanders to stay alive and loyal
>damn near single-handedly save the country, turn the war around and win it, be a huge hero

>after things calm down the king decides to give himself extra powers and weaken parliament
>the majority of nobles & parliament are against it and you're the leader of the parliamentary opposition
>so the king does the logical thing and tries to assassinate you
>when that fails he accuses you of plotting against him, strips you of all titles and sentences you to death without trial
>you refuse to get executed and a huge uprising erupts
>you try to negotiate but the king musters his forces (with the future king Jan Sobieski as commander) and attacks you
>you deal the royal army an absolutely humiliating pair of crushing defeats
>you offer the defeated king the following terms: he officially restores your good name and abandons the royal power reform, and you officially apologize for the uprising and leave the country in exile
>the king has no other option but to agree
>you leave and die in exile, the king tries to pass his reforms anyway, fails, and abdicates

350 years later popular history brainlets say that he was a traitor for not letting himself get executed on trumped-up charges because it buried the chances of the shitty king strengthening his position.

They also moan about him slaughtering thousands of royal troops in battle when an army under Sobieski tried to ambush him during negotiations.

Hell, now that I've looked at the wikipedia article about the battle it unironically states that the thousands of royal troops were "murdered".

*In fact you can extend that to the entire Lubomirski family. Ten centuries of prominence and not a single thing wrong. Few can boast that record.

Like to add that if anything, Kissinger created the precedent to do fucked up shit, and if someone like him can do it, 'nicer' guys can do it with no fear of conquences and condemnation

A HERO DENIED BY HIS COUNTRY

>But why do Americans hate him?
On average, they don't. It's a very niche thing to hate Kissinger. Most don't even know who he is, let alone what he did.

>Kissinger created the precedent to do fucked up shit
No, he didn't.

>It's a very niche thing to hate Kissinger.
>tfw grew up around hyper liberals, commies, and ultra conservative fags

S-sure "niche"

He did for post WWII US politics and first world in general

zionist warmonger

>He did for post-WWII US politics and first world in general
Ha, no. Kissinger was following a precedent that was already set.

Uh, what about the tens of millions killed by this red fascist?

Post his proof

>le commie joo conspirasee

Managed to kept the Bosnians, Croats, Serbs, and all the other meme-ethnitcies from killing each other. Tito was awesome.

>I don't understand why Americans hate Kissinger

I hate it and i am not even american