Becoming a Romaboo

Help me, Veeky Forums.
I've never been very interested in classical Greco-Roman history. It's always kinda bored me, other than the mythology. The civilizations of the Mongols/Aztecs/Egyptians have always interested me way, way more in terms of ancient/medieval history.
However, in the last several months, I've become the 7 billionth person to get roped into Greek and Roman (mostly Roman) history. I don't want this fate to befall me, is there any way of turning back?
He's just so beautiful...

one of us

P-pls no

Reminder if you do not understand Latin, you cannot have a proper opinion about ANYTHING Roman, including history. Only once you have mastered Latin will your opinions be acceptable to me. I, as a master of the Latin language, will tell you the acceptable opinions to have. If you have any questions about the opinions you need to survive in Rome, ask me and I shall tell you them. You see, being an expert in Latin also makes me an expert in history. You may try to *claim* that the language does not impact the history, but this is just you trying to project your modern ideals onto Roman culture, and ultimately trying to insult the Latin people. I have lived in Rome as an English teacher 10 years now, and I am so well integrated in Roman culture and language that Romans now accept me as one of their own. So before you insult Roman culture with your baseless opinions again, please consider the feelings of the Roman people and people who have adopted the Roman identity such as myself.

Same user. Initially didn't find Rome that interesting but I'm a wargamingfag.

Now I'm an unabashed Romaboo.

Fuck the Empire, the Republic were the best and most interesting times of Roman history. The Pyrrhic war, the Punic Wars, Sulla and Marius, Caesar...

Total War Attila and The History of Rome got me balls deep into late antiquity.

Just do what I did and become a Late Romeaboo

Embrace it, the empire deserves all the love it gets

Everyone should read Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War.

Comfy af.

Caesar was fucking based. It's absolutely disgusting what those (((senators))) did to him.

Carthage was superior to Rome in every way. However, if you're still interested in studying Rome than please do as this Veeky Forumspanic says and study the republic.

It's the glory of it. The sheer audacity and determination of Roman conquests. Empires existed before Rome and have existed sense, but Rome made it sexy as fuck and nobody has really captured that Imperial style quite the same way.

If Carthage was so superior, why did Rome lay waste to their city then? Rome erased Carthage from the face of the Earth and all we know of Carthage now is only from Roman sources.

The opposite is true with me, I began loving Rome, now I can only acknowledge them as an Evil Empire (even as a republic).

>why did Rome lay waste to their city then
Because Romans are fucking barbarians. They paid the price later as their empire spiralled downwards. Carthage, on the other hand, went out in the most glorious way possible.
>we know of Carthage now is only from Roman sources
There are plenty of greek sources too

>Because Romans are fucking barbarian

Kek. You think the Carthaginians were some peaceful loving mercantile people that just wanted to live in peace? They were just as bloodthirsty as the Romans were, they build their empire on the back of others, they colonized other people. Yes, they were equal to the Romans, but they lost.

Not plenty. The main info comes from Roman historians.

And Carthage didn't go out in the "most glorious way possible". Their city was turned to dust, the people slaughtered, their culture lost, their history mostly lost, too. Nothing was left from them by the time Rome finished them.

>the people slaughtered
The people fought the invaders and the wife of the last ruler of Carthage threw her childern in the fire and jumped into it herself
> their culture lost
Not true. Various woeks of carthaginian culture can be found all across the medditeranean.
>their history mostly lost
Unfortunately, you're mostly right about that.
> Nothing was left from them by the time Rome finished them.
Again, not true. Their influence spread across various lands. Sicily and Sardinia had plenty of peoples that adopted the carthaginian culture.

>They were just as bloodthirsty as the Romans were
Yeah, I remember that one time when the carthaginians killed thousands of gauls.
>The main info comes from Roman historians.
No. Most info comes from greek historians since greek historians have existed for much longer than roman historians and thus they were able to cover most periods of Carthage's life.

>Yeah, I remember that one time when the carthaginians killed thousands of gauls.

Wasn't it like a solid million or something?

>The people fought the invaders
And how well did that go for them? I doubt the Carthaginians will tell you that they died in a glorious way, if you had the ability to ask them today.

>Not true.
Where are these traces of Carthaginian culture? The Middle East? Mate...

>Again, not true
Their influence did spread across various lands but was extinguished by the Romans after their destruction. Sicily and Sardinia were Carthaginian territory before Rome took them.

>Yeah, I remember that one time when the carthaginians killed thousands of gauls.

They didn't manage to get to the Gauls but they did kill and colonize quite a lot of Iberians. Besides it's not like the Gauls were innocent fairies, they were a constant thorn in Rome's side, even sacking Rome itself. They also tried to invade Rome multiple times and one of the reasons Caesar went and conquered them is because of these things.

>No
Who are those Greek historians that you get your info on Carthage from?

Let's not pretend that Rome was the evil one and Carthage were the peaceful ones. Both wars started over the imperialistic amibitons of both Rome and Carthage. Both nations wanted to have absolute control of the Mediterranean. You can't have 2 alpha males in a group, one of them has to go and Carthage was that one.

user, there is no point in fighting it! You have seen the truth and cannot make it unseen. So hold your head up high! You understand something that those everyday plebeians might never understand, never appreciate.

But, fret not! Even if they can't see the light, they can still
FEEL IT.