American Revolution history in the UK

Hey guys, I've started making random videos of visiting historic places, and a friend told me, now that I'm in the UK, that I should go to monuments supporting the British in the American Revolution.

We have a bunch of pro-independence memorials in the US, but what is there to do here in Britain? The main thing I've found is the crypt of Benedict Arnold, which is practically obscured by a fish tank in the basement of a church in London that's used for preschool.

Suggestions?
>graves of Army officers
>monuments to those involved
>birthplaces

we aren't interested in the war in the uk

partly because we lost

partly because its not interesting

there's not much

That's the point. I'm planning on going to a few other places in the UK to do with history, military parades to wars that the UK prefers not to remember and stuff, but at the time there was a big stir about the war. It's a part of history that's kind of being lost.

The main obstacle you're going to run across is that the British overwhelmingly do not care about the war of independence. There aren't many of us who have any kind of opinion at all, and the ones who do have an opinion will either only be pro-british out of some vague pride, or pro-american because you can't expect people to wait like a year for a message to return from across the Atlantic. Modern anti-american sentiment stems more or less entirely from modern things like Iraq, tourism, and Donald Trump (we largely don't hate him like some of you do, we just think he's a bit silly)

That said, if there are any memorials then they're likely in London. Honestly I wouldn't bother travelling to the UK for this.

>It's a part of history that's kind of being lost.

oh shut it

it's not being lost. the americans are obsessed with that war.

actual wars being lost and ignored are things like the austrian succession, and spanish succession

I don't think you'll find much here really. The Revolution is basically forgotten since it was so long ago that it was even a century before our empire even got going. Good luck to you though. I'm sure London has a fair few sites of relevance.

>spanish succession
>1700

Its fuckin' gone senpai. Do you know how hard it is to read writing from 300 years ago in cursive?

It happened in the early days of their empire. They always did care more about the Victorian Era Empire. At least that what it seemed like when I visited.

I'm already in the UK for a minimum of 2 years for work, and I'm trying to explore the history as much as I can. Another project in the back of my mind is Prince Madoc of Wales; Supposedly he set sail and discovered the US a couple hundred years before Columbus, and there's this strange precolonial fort a couple hours north of where I lived back in Georgia with an urban legend surrounding Madoc having built it. I saw it before they took the plaque down for it being "Euro-centric," or some garbage. It's history, desu

>I'm already in the UK for a minimum of 2 years

I'm so sorry

These will be the worst 2 years of your life

ARW history professional here.

Two things you notice when reading the scarce British half of ARW history:

Firstly, while it is mentioned, its rarely gone into as deep detail, as it really is just another footnote in the expanse of history to them. While the loss of those colonies did impact them, they had so many other things going on in the 18thC, that its very much a piece of the period, rather than a defining subject as it is to us.

Secondly, they are far more even handed in their depiction and presentation of events. From historic documents, to academic writings and even popular media. They call it what it is: A civil war that resulted in a new nation. American mythology and pop culture tends to make the Brits out to be either ineffectual fops or baby-eating sociopaths.

I've lived in Britain all my life and never once heard of any memorial to our side in the ARW.

That's exactly why I'm trying to find more places. It's a big part of American culture, but forgotten to the British.

So far this is the most interesting thing, Benedict's family crypt, and it really shows the point.

>in the basement of a church in London
>nearly covered by a fish tank
>practically unknown, the only memorials to him donated by Americans

Barely any Brits know who this guy even was.

The British who died in the American Revolution must be some of the most-forgotten war dead in any major war. I've never heard anyone talk about those guys.

It's funny

We treat the Revolution like it was LOTR but Bongs don't care at all

They probably want to fast forward to the more fun part where they beat Boney.

It's a shame, because they don't care, and if they hate the US it's due to our interventions in foreign countries.
A shame, since I would love to assblast brits with the independence and French aid.

That's the point.

I've talked with some Rhodesian vets here. Up until a few years ago (from what I've read online) South African vets weren't allowed in the British Remembrance Day parades, and Rhodesians are still discouraged. A lot of Britain's past is being buried. Try finding a memorial to the Brits who served in far off places like the Trucial States. Just out of curiosity I checked into it, and found an article where a retired RAF officer was crying at the grave of his friend who died at Sharijah Air Base in the UAE, hidden behind a church and covered in garbage.

AHAHAHAHAAAA

THAT CRYPT SUITS THE CUNT

Yeah, I noticed thats a trend
>Brits depict both sides as reasonable people at war
>'Muricans make every man in a red coat a homosexual member of GI Joe's Cobra
A goddamn embarassment. Feels bad man.

>mfw my distant ancestor was the wife who talked him into doing it

Its kinda understandable. The revolution is like an epic foundation myth to the yanks, to the brits it was just a civil war that lost them them some populous but not particularly valuable territory in the middle of far more important events

>but not particularly valuable territory
You guys missed out, as time has shown.

>A shame, since I would love to assblast brits with the independence and French aid.

This is why no one likes you

You're annoying and obsessed with yourself

People in the UK don't really care about the war.

Americans tend to view it as "America v Britain" whereas us in Britain view it as "France v Britain, guest starring some angry colonists"

Yeah, that was the sucky thing for the British. The thirteen colonies had money, but they never had the system in place to tax such a disperse country. It's much easier to get your money out smaller denser slave cash crop islands. Then when they really try and make their colonies worth it, they revolt.

Reminder that the carribean colonies were far more profitable than the thirteen colonies.
We really didn't care about losing you, especially when we already had based loyal canadians

Nobody could have known at the time that French and Spanish rule in the New World would collapse and that the 13 states would become incredibly expansionist, wipe out all of the native inhabitants of the area and take some of the largest, natural resource rich and most fertile land on the planet.