Why didn't the US send the slaves back to Africa after the Civil War?

It's not like the White people at the time liked the ex-Slaves (even if there were moral reservations about slavery). Why didn't the US government ship the freed slaves back to Africa after the civil war?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's still time.

It was unpopular and enforcement would have been almost impossible.

Most blacks did not want to go back to Africa, they had been living in the US for several generations, only spoke english, were christians and had essentially no connection whatsoever with their ancestral homeland.

The same reason they weren't shipping them back in any great numbers before the war. The whole thing had to be predicated on voluntary emigration or it would stain American prestige even further. The reason they didn't volunteer to go:

It was literally "muh big government" and "muh taxes" concerns.

Of course now blacks vote for bigger governments and higher taxes in every single election.

Really activates the almonds, huh?

What is Liberia? Just needed to get more on the boat home

They had a "back to africa" movement. See: Liberia.

1) Because they had zero connection to Africa
2) They were a good source of labour
3) It looks terrible on the world stage especially since they had just recognised Haiti

We'd just pushed our country to the brink of complete annihilation in one of the worst wars ever fought by mankind, and you think we had the money to send millions of blacks to Africa?

But if things were so bad in the US why not take a chance at Africa? First off, if they went in bulk the language barrier wouldn't be the problem. I think that Liberia's official language might really be English or it could have been English.

Who cares about living in place just because your family was there several generations? Again, if it's so bad why not leave?

>It looks terrible on the world stage
That never stopped America before.

They should have sent them to Mexico.

they should've sent them to your mom's house for a dicking lmafo owned

wow lol

Becoz dey helped bild dis cuntry and fot fo dis land honkey.

you knew what would happen when you made this thread

They did.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia

Share cropping

Because by that point it was logistically and economically impossible for the US or even the South to do that, seeing that Reconstruction was well under way before they could even think about sending the former slaves and their children back to Africa

Because a number of key figures in the African American community, most of them Christian preachers, convinced their peers that it was better to work towards equality in America than to give up and move to a shitty colony in Liberia.

Yes, they did. Your spelling needs some work.

Who the fuck would pay for it?

>Most blacks did not want to go back to Africa
Yes they would prefer being cancerous parasites to white people to this day than go back home and work to build with own nations, and you wonder why racist ideas like blacks being useless good for nothings sprung up.
>had essentially no connection whatsoever with their ancestral homeland.
Of course they do ,its in their DNA, and West Indian negros managed to make new primitive cultures thus the WAAAAHHHH WE LOST OUR CULTURE excuse no longer works anymore, also negros are the most hypocritical christians on earth.

lol

Actually it does all the time.

b-but /pol/ told me m-might makes right!!!!

Might, might make right?

but there were also key members who said the opposite the whole back to Africa thing

Liberia

>There's still time.

Because sharecropping. The US didn't stop exploiting black men for cheap labor just because slavery was outlawed.

>It was unpopular and enforcement would have been almost impossible.

t. Hillary supporter

Why would any country take a large population of people with little education, who don't speak the language or know the culture and don't have any money en masse. With refugees rich European countries with huge resources took similar types of people on humanitarian grounds and its caused so much trouble. Why would a poor African country agree to it.

It was America's burden to bear.

So when BLM faggots punch nazi LARPers in the streets...

Do you realize how expensive that would be? Nobody would have agreed to pay for it, especially considering the fact that African Americans were seen as a source of cheap labor.

I know you don't know this because you're a meme spouting retard who doesn't read, but the colonization societies that advocated for sending the blacks to Africa as a solution to the abolition problem were never more than a fringe movement. There was never a huge outpouring of support for the cause and it was seen mostly as a tepid compromise between radical abolitionists and southern democrats.

They did. A little country called Liberia. The rest of them saw how that went and decided "nah, we'll stay here instead."

> It was unpopular

With the Blacks, sure but it’s not like they had any say in the matter.

Whites, both in the South and the North would not only have been perfectly fine with it, they would have preferred if the Blacks had left and didn’t compete with them in the workforce.

> and enforcement would have been almost impossible.

Nonsense, at the end of the Civil War the U.S. has a huge army to round up the Blacks and a huge navy to ship the Blacks to Africa.

And there was an educated Black middle/upper class in the North and plenty of well trained Black veterans capable of insuring their authority.

The influx of American Blacks into Liberia would have strengthened the country and quite possibly resulted in the first and only successful Westernized African nation and saved the U.S. from generations of inevitable racial strife that continues to this day.

The failure to return Blacks to Africa after the Civil War was a historical disaster that continues to haunt us (Blacks and Whites).

>It looks terrible on the world stage

I know, right? All those blog posts in 1865 criticizing America for wanting to send the Blacks to Africa....

fpbp

>The rest of them saw how that went and decided "nah, we'll stay here instead."

Liberia was actually pretty good back then.

>Why would a poor African country agree to it.

Liberia didn't even exist as nation back the until it was founded.

>you'll never deport __ million illegals!
>it has no support!
>the wall only has fringe support!

>With the Blacks, sure but it’s not like they had any say in the matter.

Why would they have no say in the matter if they weren't slaves any more?

>Nonsense, at the end of the Civil War the U.S. has a huge army to round up the Blacks and a huge navy to ship the Blacks to Africa.

Not even remotely capable of shipping 4 million people across the ocean, even if it wasn't against their will. There is a reason nobody seriously proposed that.

> > With the Blacks, sure but it’s not like they had any say in the matter.
> Why would they have no say in the matter if they weren't slaves any more?

Because they were Black.

> > Nonsense, at the end of the Civil War the U.S. has a huge army to round up the Blacks and a huge navy to ship the Blacks to Africa.
> Not even remotely capable of shipping 4 million people across the ocean, even if it wasn't against their will. There is a reason nobody seriously proposed that.

It obviously wouldn’t have happened overnight but it was completely doable and should have been done, as there is no way Black and White Americans will ever get past the slavery issue.

Name 5 times.

>conflating present events with something more than 100 years ago

Should have just given them their own ethnostate farther west

>blunders, mistakes, and lessons of history are not applicable to the present

By the time of the civil war, most of the Western land was accounted for and divided into territories.

They'd be pushed out hard though by incoming settlers and migrants.

I asked my great grandfather this and he laughed "my grandpappy did more than most of them damn goatropers ever could. We wasn't going no where."

He does have a point, if you were black and doing better than most whites in America why in fact would you leave because poor white trash/mediocre whites were jealous?

Honestly you'd be dealing with a post civil war army facing large amounts of blacks who had not engaged in battle. Forcing African descended people in the hills of ships would not be taken lightly. Not would many believe freedom was truly in store.

>i only view history at the shallowest level of looking for things which affirm my view of contemporary politics

Be honest with me, have you ever read a non-fictional historical account of America leading up to the Civil War-era?

>He does have a point, if you were black and doing better than most whites in America why in fact would you leave because poor white trash/mediocre whites were jealous?

Most people left because they wanted to start a new in another land or an opportunity for something better. Same reasons Euros went to the colonies.

Have you learned nothing from the natives?

Andrew Johnson was incompetent. Lincoln tried, but some fag shot him before it really caught on.

Be honest with me, have you ever pulled your libcuck dick our of its cage?

Not really, you should look into the old diaries most left because they were not able to do all they could. Many were successful and power, I even have a distant relative who migrated and his descendant was a chancellor or something. Had they had the ability to thrive in the US they'd never have left

>Who cares about living in place just because your family was there several generations?
Clearly they did you retard.

There was never any plan to deport african americans, by Lincoln..

What they though is create an US led african colony in West Africa called Liberia, populated by some African Americans.

I unironically would. Overnight the cities of Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans, Newark, and others would be restored.

Another stellar contribution from our friends at /pol/.

Another dick in your mouth. Get off 4chins bitch.

>knowing what you're talking about makes you a libcuck

now we know what /pol/ is all about