Veeky Forums's thoughts on the American Civil War?

Veeky Forums's thoughts on the American Civil War?

Other urls found in this thread:

pando.com/2014/11/20/the-war-nerd-why-sherman-was-right-to-burn-atlanta/
tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2013/06/14/hispanics-leading-minority-growth-in-az
youtube.com/watch?v=ups4FeSuHvY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sad that it happened, kind of wish the Confederates won, but it is what it is. I don't think they should be taking down monuments either.

Confederates had a right to win

The south forever damaged the republic with there absurd withdrawing from the union over losing an election to a guy who wasn't even going to abolish slavery.

They were on shaky constitutional grounds at best, but aside from that they used poor judgement and they were incredibly short sighted.

Not a single ballot in the South had Lincoln on it. It pretty much sent the message that their vote wouldn't matter anymore in the current political system of the era. Why be a part of something where you'll forever be the constant minority?

The South was fighting against the tyranny of the North. Many good soldiers lost their loves to protect their home and family.

Only Americans care about that shitty irrelevant war.

If it hadn't happened it would have been even more lulzworthy today having a separate south US completely backwards with feudal style plantations being third world tier, and white southerners trying to border fence to the north because no slaves and due to sanctions.

Lee is the most overrated general in American history, the Confederacy is objectively one of the most evil regimes to ever exist, and the rebellion as a whole is one of the biggest displays of autism in modern history, rivaled only by the Great German Chimpout (mk. II). The South has always been the spoiled brat of the nation.

Its all very, very, very sad. I wish it never happened. I can't condemn the people who carried it out (my ancestors are included in this), but I can't say they were in the right either. Everyone is to blame for it, really. It grew from a collective sense of alienation, which fed indignation until people that should have been seen as brothers were as aliens. A true tragedy.

assuming the results of one election will be repeated indefinitely is pretty stupid

Wrong side won again, history is full of wrong sides winning wars.

A failure to come to a compromise lead to pointless slaughter and pain for the years to come.

>petulant, amoral separatists start war
>ill-prepared for said war
>fucked by blunders of ostensibly superior commanders
>"had a right to win"

Do tell.

Because Southern whites are fucking retarded. Slaves shouldn't have even been allowed to be counted as 3/5 of a vote. After all, why should property be enfranchised?

>the south fought against northern tyranny for their right to enslave millions of people

>, the Confederacy is objectively one of the most evil regimes to ever exist
also one of the most hypocritical

He should have burned more

>amoral
I don't think you know what "amoral" means

absolutely

this kind of thinking should not exist

The North will raze again

Great man, and a great tank

well, is it moral to enslave people?

I think you mean "immoral" not "amoral".

America is probably the only country that thinks seceding rebels are good bois who dindunuffin wrong, with formerly rebel states celebrating their treasonous failed attempt.

I think it's odd how it seems there are people that have mentally convinced themselves that they live in this time

they were simply fellow Americans, holding fast to their ideals and sense of duty, we are not, and should not be, vengeful barbarians like much of the world over

>its a the north totally did not have slaves episode
>its a what are the black confederates episode

the north didn't fight a war against tyranny to keep people in chains.

>the north didn't fight a war against tyranny to keep people in chains.
dont know why they fucking bothered at all segregation and other stupid shit was almost as bad up north as it was down south

by all rights we should have done away with the practice at the constitutional convention, how happy a world that would be, a richer south, less blacks, and none of them acting entitled 150+ years after 1863

Truly a war of northern aggression.

>strawman comic
>union left all the other forts but did not leave this one for some reason
i know Veeky Forums for the most part is a shitposting board but come on dude

How dare they not leave their own fort.

Which forts did they leave and did they leave because of surrender or because the Federal government told them too?

that's isn't a strawman comic you absolute dingus

Dude come on. Maybe if there weren't so many southern historians strolling under the magnolias of their own pride, we could have a more lucid picture of the Civil War. But we can't.

Im honestly dumbfounded.
>The war was about slavery!
>It was not about states rights!
Why fucking bother freeing the slaves if your going to treat them like shit for the next 80 fucking years?
Why fucking bother starting a war over something you faggots had well into the time of the emancipation proclamation?
Honestly dumbfounded.

Hmm it's almost like different people take over the hands of government after a term is expired or an election happens in a democracy.

Now that really gets my noggin' a joggin'.

>Why fucking bother freeing the slaves if your going to treat them like shit for the next 80 fucking years?
You seem to be looking at the decisions of 19th Century politicians with the eyeballs of a shitstick living in 2017.

Many abolitionists would be considered extremely racist today...at the very least they would be un-'woke'.

Unfortunately, no matter where you go in this country, you'll find that newer generations have simply managed to glean a simplistic and stupid interpretation of US history (principally relating to the civil war). I'm ashamed to consider them my own countrymen.

the war began because southern states succeed, and preserving the union was the main reason why the north fought

why are you so thick m8?

go play in front of a tram

What with this guy.
>we gotta restore the union
>but ill burn it all down first
Was it autism?

He didn't burn anything that was going to be missed desu

are you thick?

destroying the means to make war ends the war, enough working men had died on the field of battle

besides, the south didn't have much infrastructure to wreck in that region anyhow, and farms are easily resown

>When your entire economy is based of having black slaves so you breed slaves so much they make up most of your population and they cant vote so you make it so that your slaves count as 3/5ths of a person so you dont get fucked in number of seats in congress and you start, and lose, a war to keep slaves

yeah no wonder some of the retards here sympathize with the CSA

pando.com/2014/11/20/the-war-nerd-why-sherman-was-right-to-burn-atlanta/

tl;dr sherman hated the war, what he did was not only necessary to end the war faster, but to cow southern pride and teach them how terrible war was.

Truly a tragic conflict that tore a nation apart, pitting brothers and fathers against friends and neighbors. Sad that it had to happen, but it's for the best it turned out the way it did.

I'm still blasted we didn't make Hispaniola and Cuba states.

>Only Americans care about that shitty irrelevant war.
Google US Civil War Foreign Involvement

>burns down infrastructure causing food shortages
>tens of thousands of Union POWs and slaves die
>"b..b.but we got your plantations"

kek thanks billy

>secede because muh federal government and muh slaves
>invade West Virginia and East Tennessee and put them under military occupation when they vote against secession

States rights allow the confederacy to Violate states right in other States

Then you should've allowed them to secede, except you fought to keep them within the union.

Just like every state facing a rebellion the world over.

Seems like a big waste.

>got shit done

Grant's strategy was to go full imperial guard and drown them with their dead

> Throughout the Civil War Grant's armies incurred approximately 154,000 casualties, while having inflicted 191,000 casualties on his opposing Confederate armies.[3]

talking about before people asked Lincoln to retire Grant due to his recklessness

Mark Twain had it right:
The South read too much of Walter Scott's novels and thought their "valor" would get them whatever their tantrum was about.

kek

Well duh, their entire country is based on treachery after all.

Most this Confederate casualties came from the ANV surrender. Casualties =/= dead.

dumb redneck savages vs imperialists

the lesser evil won
many americans died, thats a good thing

No, it isn't. Read and understand the true statements contained in the Declaration.

Or even supposing that one were to allow your false statement: then against whom were the United States treacherous? Why, the single most treacherous polity ever to have existed in world history, as most people will agree.

-----

Consider the following: Lincoln actually said something close to "The World will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." We initially chuckle at this sentence because the Gettysburg Address later became an extremely famous speech. And yet, no audio recording was taken, and all that we are left with are endlessly conflicting newspaper accounts and Lincoln's various drafts. The point being that /we do not know to a certainty exactly what Lincoln said when he actually spoke/. In other words, the language above (or words to like effect) were literally true.

a bunch of aristocratic jackasses left the union because they wanted to keep using free labor, and a bunch of bourgeois jackasses went to war with them to "preserve the union", that is, their hegemony

completely forgotten in all of this was the plight of the common man

Isn't that what happened in Vietnam, though?

It didn't kill enough subhuman americans.

Based Grant is criminally underrated, as a general, as a president, and even as an author. His memoirs are the best of any U.S. president.

I'm from Massachusetts and the Confederates were objectively the good guys in the war.

>whatever their tantrum was about
Filthy Condescending Yank scum, the Civil War was about aggregarian society versus an industrial society. The outcomes show that we would have been better off as aggrarian farmers than industrial magnates.

>the Civil War was about an economy based on freedom verus an economy based on slavery

Fixed it.

states rights also killed the confederacy

you really need to ACTUALLY learn about the civil war, alright?

he really is, but exaggerated rumors about his drinking problem, views of his as a butcher during the war, and corrupt cabinet during his presidency ruined his reputation

How long until the western, previously Mexican states rebel to join Mexico and we have Civil War II?

That would require Mexico not being so much poorer and shittier than the U.S. that people actively try to leave the former to come to the latter. So, never.

an independent southwest is more likely, but a war for it doesn't seem likely.
you see, Mexicans(~37 mil) alone are a few decades away from outnumbering all Blacks(45 mil) in the US. California and soon New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas will/are be full of Mexicans and Chicano's.
eventually most or all of the southwest will be full of Mexicans and people of Mexican descent, at which point with race relations as cold as they've been in decades, would it not be better if they split peacefully? like Scotland or Catalonia plan to do.

>the US willingly giving up California and Texas, two of its most populous and productive states.
Also, race relations aren't really as bad as the media suggests, especially between Hispanic Americans and white Americans.

>especially between Hispanic Americans and white Americans.
better hope the prez doesn't agitate Mexicans, also it's more cultural than racial differences between the two.

>criminally underrated, as a general
He's regularly seen as one of the best generals of the war. McPherson is obsessed with him.

>as a president
Kek, he was a trash president. Only lefties try to spin him into some civil rights icon forgetting that his radical reconstruction FAILED. It was corrupt, incompetent, and bound to fail. He was so bad that half of his party rebelled against him.

>His memoirs are the best of any U.S. president.

Probably true

also

>the US willingly giving up California and Texas, two of its most populous and productive states.
the same can be said about Catalonia with Spain and Scotland with the UK.

but those Independence movements exist and a peaceful split can be possible.

did the CSA celebrate the 4th of July?

>Arizona
Over my dead body. Calicuckia can go though.

tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2013/06/14/hispanics-leading-minority-growth-in-az

>"An Arizona Office of Employment and Population Statistics report released in December said that at current rates of growth, the minority population will overtake whites as the majority by 2027."
you've got 10 years left.

Hopefully with Trump in office we will reverse the trend and white people in this state openly hate the Mexicans, unlike Californians who welcome them with open arms and pass sanctuary acts into legislation. Maricopa county is still the biggest Republican county in America.

>white people in this state openly hate the Mexicans

see
>Also, race relations aren't really as bad as the media suggests, especially between Hispanic Americans and white Americans.

and
>better hope the prez doesn't agitate Mexicans

>race relations aren't really as bad as the media suggests, especially between Hispanic Americans and white Americans
That's maybe true for California. Not for Arizona.

youtube.com/watch?v=ups4FeSuHvY

Arizona is shit.

Dumb sandbox.

Do it again Uncle Billy!

>You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our Country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to Secure Peace. But you cannot have Peace and a Division of our Country. If the United States submits to a Division now it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is Eternal War. The United States does and must assert its authority, wherever it once had power; for, if it relaxes one bit to pressure, it is gone, and I believe that such is the National Feeling

>southern culture was distinctly american
is that why they imported the speaking pattern of british gentlemen and the customs of european aristocracy

This is 100% correct; his only problem was not realizing that "division" will only be reinforced by burning down instead of building up the South.

I love my Sherman and Grant memes

Oh fuck off you stupid yank you're brainwashed into believing a straightforward colonial rebellion is some groundbreaking event spurred by god himself. You went against your lawful sovereign and government because they had the gall to ask you for a contribution for the support of the realm, and not only did you chimp out, you even colluded with Britain's enemies which was the only reason you won your little backwater war in the first place, and if that isn't treachery I don't know what is.

Why is it Yankees circlejerk to this man when even he held a very low opinion of himself?

He literally considered Grant his better in every way.

they were both fucking scumbags just look at their fucking faces, they know they lived a complete lie and committed unspeakable acts of horror for nothing more than coin and false bloody justice they coped terribly with it very clearly

>because of our inability as a nation to look at each other's view points and try to compromise
we had been compromising for decades, and i would argue that the example of slavery shows that compromise is not always superior in every situation.

Even better, they use the Supreme Court to violate the rights of other states as well.

>The outcomes show that we would have been better off as aggrarian farmers than industrial magnates.
So Colombia tier?

I would assume so.

>le compromise memexD
>le centrist meme xDDDD
he "compromise" you're referring to in this context had been happening for ages (see: Missouri Compromise, 1850 Compromise, Kansas-Nebraska Act, Nullification, etc.). It was time to show those upstart tobacconiggers that their autistic butthurt will not be tolerated.

>Google US Civil War Foreign Involvement

I just did and basically got nothing.

The UK kinda supported the Confederacy since most of the British trade was with southern states yet they didn't do anything about it.

France supported the north and they didn't really do anything either.

Both sides probably thought that if they picked a side it would have been yet another Anglo/France war to add to the massive list.