Veeky Forums Jobs & Careers Megathread

What do you do? Do you like it? Is it stressful? Is it difficult? How much do you make? How did you decide on this career path?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnc.vdskge7as.xyz/bins/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

studied chemical engineering and currently working casual in a field thats kind of related (control and instrumentation). cant find any full time work that doesnt require a billion years experience in some niche field

this country fucking blows, i want off this ride already

>What do you do?
Actuarial consulting
>Do you like it?
No. I need money and will do this only as long as I absolutely must.
>Is it stressful?
Right now I do literally nothing at work, at all. So, no. But the boredom is killing me. I literally have to sit in a cubicle 9 hours a day doing nothing, at all, except basically waiting for tasks to pop up that I could do in 20 minutes. These tasks occur maybe once or twice a week.
>Is it difficult?
The studying is. They pay me to study for certifications. The work itself is very easy, but I'm also not high up. It will get much, much harder, but I'm not there yet.
>How did you decide on this path?
I was a Mathematics major at the University of Pennsylvania and realized my junior year that I hadn't performed nearly well enough to go to a respectable graduate school and would need to find a job after graduating that wasn't teaching. I also was about to marry my wife, which I did just after graduating a year later, and so I knew I needed a steady job. So I started studying for actuarial jobs, applying through my university, and ended up here. It pays well enough that I can save about $3,000 per month and I invest all that, a lot into crypto, hoping to amass some fortune before I can finally leave and do things I actually want to do.

I'm in college studying to be an actuary, any advice?

>Actuarial consulting
Dude use your free time at work to start your own business

How? I have about 30k in savings now but I'm not really willing to take a big risk with too much of it. I don't know how to start or what I could do.
Any suggestions?

I can recommend the Adapt quizzes online as study materials for the exams. If you can get up to level 6 or 7 by their scale, you're ready to pass the test. They really helped me a lot.
For interviews, try to draw broad connections between industries back to the position for which you are interviewing. For example, I work in life consulting, but one topic that came up in my interview back in November last year was that Trump could repeal Obamacare, so I discussed how that could prevent some people from affording health insurance, which might mean significant people unable to afford health insurance, and thus the same people would become ineligible for life insurance because of their condition. This could ultimately drive down the pricing of life insurance premiums over the next decade or something. A tangent like that in my interview came up and kind of showed that I was interested in researching the industry but learning from them. I tried to show that I was passionate about researching long-term and short term care and things that everyone at the firm was studying so they'd think I'm eager to learn.

Always think in terms of "risks" and "opportunities" when you interview. Everything is either a risk or an opportunity to these people, so you should be able to talk about how any event is either a risk or an opportunity to some people involved in your industry, whether that's policyholders or insurers. I know Cigna likes to ask that kind of question, specifically "What are some risks and opportunities that Obamacare presents?"

I think everywhere is different but the big cities are probably harder so I'm working in the suburbs now.

But if you can get a few tests done, that's all that matters in the end. I only had 2 done, but more would have helped even more.

Sorry, I have no real idea. I would build a shitload of crazy websites or similar things if I was in your situation. Just to kill time or whatever.

which ones do you have under your belt now? I passed P and FM and I'm about to take MFE

Also best advice I wish I had was to start early. It sucked trying to finish my first actuarial test and almost being a senior in college already when my friends in Wharton were going for their fourth by then.

I wish I'd known what career I wanted earlier.

But right now I can feel myself being bored and just sitting there waiting for the money to come in.

So my goal is to get my ASA, hopefully get my CFA as well because my company will fund all my study materials and testings so I may as well take advantage of it (it's thousands of dollars if I don't), and then I feel like I can relax knowing I have the qualifications to use "actuary" as a fallback and can take some risks with my career after that and have that door open for at least a while if I choose to go back. I just want those damn qualifications for the job security it promises and then I can decide if I really want to do that with my life.

I've only done the same as you. Exactly the same, passed P and FM and studying for MFE. So I really couldn't help you much at all with that probably.

Hopefully you find a place you like to work though. I went to the first company that accepted me and it's all 40+ year olds with kids and nobody really talks with me at all.

Are you thinking of doing a fellowship? I really like investment so I want to go for QFI

See I'm not sure either though. Lately I've just been trying to study investing and browsing Veeky Forums at work and day-trading coins. I got lucky with coins like everyone else so it's kind of kept me going at work but I should really use this time for something. I'm not sure what I would do for a business though, or if I should work on becoming a better programmer first. I only know basic Java from a class in college, so not much to work with yet.

Eventually, probably. But right now my goal is to just get my ASA one test at a time.

I can't see myself working at this company which is dead silent and quiet all day for more than a few years while I study for my qualifications so once I have that I'll consider which path I want for the FSA.

I'm kind of just squeezing this opportunity for them to pay for all my studying, not give me much work, and still give me a decent salary, while I build a track record for whatever I really want to do whether it's actuarial or not.

So ASA now, and if it works out I'll push for an FSA track, but hopefully at a new location by then.

>it's all 40+ year olds with kids and nobody really talks with me
Ah you're one of those kids. You aren't better than your coworkers and deserve your middle management mediocrity.

>You're one of those kids
I'm not complaining. I was brought on as an intern and was the only intern at all. Nobody talks in this company, then just e-mail. I'm not annoying or anything at all. I live quietly with my wife. I just wish I could get to know my department, maybe grab lunch or something with some of them some time or something, you know?

Right now we're in the suburbs so there's not really any social activity or chance to meet our neighbors.

I'm not saying I'm better than my coworkers at all. I'm just saying I'd like to get to know them, but they're all very busy with their children and lives while my wife and I are still child-less. That's all.

Most people in my department have been there for about 10 years, one of them for 35 years, but I'm less than a year.

There is no real management here either. It's all based on how many actuarial tests you've passed. This company believes in "no boss" so there's a principal for the office who is there one day a week but I never see because he is working on the consulting side and I'm still analyzing Excel sheets and working on smaller projects.

Never said I was better than them at all, I'd just like a chance to chat and get to know them. I'd like to make a friend in this suburb besides my wife at some point too, that's all. She's finding it tough with how quiet it is as well.

I only develop php as a hobby (which I taught myself) and have build a few websites so far. Mostly stupid things which even my friends told me were useless and it felt like I wasted too many hours on, but also some more successful projects which some people *actually use*. Having people use your site is a very rewarding feel which I would never get from developing some stupid C++ or shit.
So while web development as a job sucks (because it does not pay lol), having it as a hobby is actually really neat. At least for me.

Alright I'll look into it.

I need to get an introvert friendly job, I can't hold onto customer service jobs for the life of me. The problem is all jobs for young people are for normies.

>tfw no skills

My job is perfect for you and I hate it lol. I have nobody at all to talk to, ever, so I just sit quietly in a cubicle and do whatever I want. It's lonely but it'd be perfect for an intern.

If that's your resume, there's a lot you can fix... Is it?

quantopian.com

you might be interested in this

Yes, I did have several other jobs but they're short term (3-6 month) customer service shit that I didn't learn anything.

Every bullet of your resume should tell me "WHAT you did, HOW you did it, and RESULT (why) of it".

Some people here will probably disagree with me, but I think it's a mistake to have lots of small bullets for each job. What you need are three well-crafted bullets for each position that clearly answer the criteria I said above (What, How, Result). Don't have people who read the bullets for your jobs be left with "ok, that all sounds nice, but what the fuck did you actually do?" Make your bullets more detailed and REALLY ask yourself "what is this contributing to my resume".

I'll tell you that Provider Data Analyst looks like you could really demonstrate ability to work with large amounts of data and that you're comfortable with data, but instead you've written "processed large volumes of claim trends and pended claims" which said nothing of value. It doesn't answer any of the three points I made at the top of this post.

Your resume could seriously be improved. The best thing for me was finding people who were successful at landing jobs at Goldman Sachs and other big firms from Wharton and having them send me their (successful) resumes. They were eye-opening for me. If you can do that, I would recommend asking people. Otherwise focus on rewriting it and use a template for format that is proven and standard in the industry.

It looks really interesting and I think I've visited the site once or twice before but it sounds like a good tool for me to learn coding algorithms and trading on them. Thanks.

You have to talk to them. My youngest coworker is 40. You have to put yourself out there. How'd you meet your wife?

Job #1: What I did, I put healthcare information into a database.
How I did it, I typed in stuff into the keyboard
The Result: Things got into the database.

Job #2: I wrote up documents for caseworkers then a month in they fired 6 people and made me do all their work and then fired me after 3 months because they didn't think I could handle their more complex stuff.

3rd job I was just a valet at a hospital running non-stop 8-12 hours a day getting cars, checking people in, giving directions around the hospital, and dealing with homeless, ghetto people, and mexicans who can't speak english.

4th job, was a call center that didn't last long.

I met her while traveling alone across Korea. I used to be very adventurous always traveling around.
I'm not sure how to do that though in this office since I can hear the sound of a pen drop all day, never any noise.

I've said things like "I have some time this week, so if you have a project I can help with, please let me know" occasionally, but other than that not much talking.

CISO
Yes
Yes
Yes
100K/yr
Sick of seeing IT Sec done wrong and sick of the lazy fuckers in the industry.

how do I get into your profession, and is the money worth the stress?

Shave your beard, hit the gym, and up your social game.

By result, I mean "how your work benefited the company" and if you need to embellish a bit, do it.

Look, I used to have a part time job which simply involved putting information into a database, probably a lot less and easier than what you did, but for one of my bullets I wrote

"Manage and develop databases of students’ security and residential information with SQL and housing software which streamlines all student residency affairs, maintenance, and service requests"

I barely even know SQL and used it maybe once or twice (but studied it before my interviews in case I was asked about it) but I still threw it in there.

I'm just saying that I think if you cleaned up some of the bullet points to be clear, they'd have a really strong impact. It can take hours to go through the resume and think about how to best write it though.

Studied Chem Eng too but working as a process operator. Easy as fuck with sick pay but no real progression

>What do you do?
Venture Capital
>Do you like it?
Yes - I love it. Seeing new tech daily and meeting some of the smartest founders is amazing.
>Is it stressful?
yes - I have no life outside of this - thought I'd come here to see what the coin chatter is like on Veeky Forums
>Is it difficult?
DESU not really - more about constant learning and understanding trends and what a sound business will be like in 18 months or so
>How did you decide on this path?
Worked for a startup company previously and studied economics/finance in college. Gravitated to this along with some luck and hard networking

No beard, and I can go to the gym but I usually just go out with my wife for walks or exercise at home or something...

I'm one of those people that takes months or a year to respond to texts because I always feel like "I HAVE to finish this goal I'm working on before I respond to everyone" so my phone is backed up for like 15 months and I still procrastinate too much. It's what keeps me from being as productive as I'd like to be, because I know there are things I'd like to accomplish but when I think about how much there is I have to do, I end up avoiding it and pushing everything back until there's a hard deadline. I'm great with hard deadlines, bad with soft deadlines, and I need to get over that. It's always "i'll do that tomorrow"..

>What do you do?
Art.

>Do you like it?
Yes.

>Is it stressful?
It's not, but I stress myself out.

>Is it difficult?
Not for me.

>How much do you make?
$1600 a month working 40 hours... a month.

>How did you decide on this career path?
I like art.

it dude at a medium sized company
sorta
often times not, i just slack off a lot
depends, usally not
stopped going to college, been NEET for 2 years. My crypto portfolio increased rapidly and I realized I have to gap up to 5 years before I can truly live off my gains.

I only work 35 hours anyway, but propably just do work related things in 10 hours of those. I am currently at 40k in crypto, so I just bet on this increasing enough to make me retire in 2 years.

So, basically say I know SQL and other programming languages when I really don't is what you're saying to do?

I started as a general IT manager and then was appointed to my current role. I should mention, I work in the public sector.

Most days the job is a dream and I love what I do. Annual budgets suck and employees can be a pain in the ass but I feel I am fairly compensated.

No, I'm saying that the way you write your resume will make some of the things you think are ordinary sound a lot more impressive than they do the way it's written. I think the job experience you have could be leveraged to sound a lot more impressive than your resume is currently doing that.

But I think you might just put down this idea instead of giving it a chance and be unwilling to change anything.

What do you do?
I own a photography business that focuses on family photography
Do you like it?
Yeah, it's not bad, I get to make people happy and I am my own boss.
Is it stressful?
Not at all, I work 5-6 days a month on it currently
Is it difficult?
Not at all, my assistant does all my retouching and I just shoot, communicate with clients, look for new contracts and handle sales.
How much do you make?
$130,000 a year
How did you decide on this career path?
I fell into it. I have a B.A in Marketing but spent my whole 20s smoking weed and surfing. I joined some shit company as a photographer and left to start my own 15 months after that.

What do you recommend?

I recommend you find someone in the industry you want to get into and ask them if they wouldn't mind sharing their resume with you because it's probably your best chance.

If you're looking into finance, there are resume styles that someone in finance might be used to seeing. If it's marketing, something else.
I'm not a career expert, I'm just saying what I've seen work.

It's my opinion, you can do what you want.

I work in Product at one of the top coins that are always mentioned on this board... been there for a couple years.

I like it, but it's so fucking stressful I get nausious a few times a week.

I got here by studying hard and going to a top school.

I make a shit ton of money, but less than $200k. Real value is in equity and crypto.

Does anyone really "decide" on a career path? It's always been about getting the best job foolish enough to hire me. I work hard and take gambles. Some work, some don't.

Well...come on. Tell us.

Right now I'm trying to get a part-time job in the evenings that will work for my school schedule.

Industry? I probably can't get into the industry I want until I get further along in school because there is nothing available for people who don't know shit about anything.

Boxers not briefs.

You could make it more fun by telling us the price range or a fact or something

Working for a company with a cryptocurrency right now, since these things aren't regulated really at all, sounds like an amazing chance for some insider trading....

>>What do you do
Helpdesk

>>Do you like it
Yes

>>Is it stressful?
Old company yes, this company no.

>>How much do you make?
$115,000

>>How did you decide?
Graduated with business degree in middle of housing crash so no one was hiring, went back to grad school for comp sci because I knew a lot about it already and here we are.

>what do you do
I work in a soil testing laboratory for nsw state government. I test materials used in roads, as well as the roads themselves during construction (density, compaction, moisture etc.)
>is it stressful
Not really, ive been a soil tester since i finished highschool, so 12 years noe. I know my job inside and out.
>im sitting about mid way through my achievable pay scale for my position. I earn 70k aud a yesr, which is fantastic compared to when i worked in the private industry and considering i dont have a degree. I can move up 3 more levels before i need a bachelors, so cap out at about 85k (we move a grade every year, plus we get 2.5%inflation a year). Its bretty gud.
>how did yoy decide on this career path
I worked in an abattoir for a few months when i first left school, it was really shitty. I went to a job agency and since i did well in maths amd science in high school, they referred me to a private lab who put me on as a trainee, i worked hard, learnt a lot, got my hands dirty and 2 years ago landed a coveted roll with the government.

Ive done pretty well consodering i had no drive in high school, have a criminal record etc.

Last 3 months have seen a +1000% increase in price

that narrows it down to literally every cryptocurrency

Is it on Poloniex?

Bingo

No it doesn't...
Not ones that could afford to pay him that much.

It's not LTC, ZEC, XMR, ETH...most of the big market cap coins haven't seen that much growth, assuming he isn't lying.

It could be XRP though, STRAT, or most other small coins though.

UX Designer. 90K. I like the job, generally, but ready to do it for a different company.

I think he works at LARPcoin

>what do you do
Inside Sales for performing rights organization. you need a license to play music in businesses. i call owners, tell them theyre breaking the law, and get them to fork money over

>do you like it?
It's alright. I'm pretty good at selling, so the job itself is easy. it's also work from home, so no one watching over me and dont have to deal with shitty coworkers. perfect for me cause im an introvert and hate authority. also, once u hit goal for the month, you can just fuck around and shitpost on 4chins

>is it stressful/difficult
Not that stressful or difficult. if you're good, you know sales (especially inside) is just a numbers game. You'll have bad days, but keep a good routine and you'll be fine at the end of the month/quarter.

>how much do you make
40k base, + commission. last year made 55k. p good for a first job for a 25 year old who went full retard and decided to go to a music school imo.

>how did you decide on this career path
needed a job. had a degree in music business. music business hiring, i got job. definitely not something i want to do forever, but the company is large and well known in the industry which could open doors later, pay is ok, make my own hours/work from home, great benefits, etc. i would really love to get involved with blockchain x music industry space. cant code for shit, but i know my company recently assembled a team to look into blockchain. memes aside, blockchain tech has the potential to literally wipeout my company kek

computer security/malware research for a large megacorp... I like sneaking into botnets for fun and profit

I love it... the corporate world however is full of blow hards, academics, suits, and all around faggotry... once all of my stock options vet I'll cash out and go to a more interesting company... hoping to end up on a black team...

it's challenging, only really stressful when dealing with the corporate bullshit or smarter adversaries with good opsec and engineering.

about $150k w/ bonuses

was a self taught programmer, had more fun breaking the applications I helped build, lead to investigating breaches, which lead to getting into malware analysis, and then tracking attackers/groups... self taught from the ground up, only have a high school diploma. Met others like myself at hacker conferences and eventually those people began to offer me jobs because of my work in my "hobby"...

sounds amazing man, how long were you self-taught before you got your first programming job? And any plans on going for a degree in the future?

>What do you do?
Software Engineer

Do you like it?
Overall it is fun and fulfilling. I get to work with people who I get along well with with is a big bonus

>Is it stressful?
At times, yes. Most of the stress comes from higher-ups outside of our team, but my senpais shield me from most of the bullcrap

>Is it difficult?
On average, yea I would say it is quite difficult. Most of the difficulty doesn't come from "How do I program this", but rather the "How should this work at a high-level" part.

>How much do you make?
Around 80k USD

Took a programming course in college, decided to major is Computer Science, here I am. I don't want to grow into a more Senior Software Engineer, I'd like to take a more managerial role.

started fucking with computers as soon as I could, mid/late 90's, got my first computer in 2000'ish and started learning basics of web dev at the time... HTML, JS, etc.

Started as an intern for an e-commerce place in 2005'ish @ 19, took my first official "senior programmer" position in 2007'ish @ 22... did a few companies, startups, lived in a few big cities, moved to security field full time as a senior engineer/researcher @ 30

I have no intention of getting a degree, at this point I'm a little over a year from being in my "mid-30's"... the only reason I'd go back near a college campus is to fuck 20 year olds.

nice LARP

{"success":true,"data":{"stats":{"attack_counts":{"hour":"0","day":"184","week":"1639","all_time":"110513"},"duration_avg":{"hour":null,"day":"174","week":"341","all_time":"566"},"cnc_counts":{"hour":"0","day":"8","week":"24","all_time":"762"},"attack_types":{"hour":[],"day":[{"name":"UDP_FAST","total":"83"},{"name":"UDP_PLAIN","total":"51"},{"name":"ACK+STOMP","total":"12"},{"name":"ACK","total":"11"},{"name":"SYN+OPTS","total":"10"},{"name":"GET\/POST","total":"10"},{"name":"GRE_IP","total":"3"},{"name":"VALVE_SE","total":"2"},{"name":"DNS+SUBDOM","total":"2"}],"week":[{"name":"GET\/POST","total":"590"},{"name":"UDP_FAST","total":"361"},{"name":"UDP_PLAIN","total":"190"},{"name":"GRE_IP","total":"138"},{"name":"VALVE_SE","total":"118"},{"name":"SYN+OPTS","total":"108"},{"name":"ACK","total":"52"},{"name":"ACK+STOMP","total":"50"},{"name":"GRE_ETH","total":"22"},{"name":"DNS+SUBDOM","total":"10"}]},"attack_targets":{"hour":[],"day":[{"ip":"164.132.206.209\/32","total":"33"},{"ip":"51.255.93.118\/32","total":"8"},{"ip":"208.146.44.1\/32","total":"6"},{"ip":"176.57.141.110\/32","total":"5"},{"ip":"81.177.165.93\/32","total":"5"},{"ip":"74.91.123.103\/32","total":"5"},{"ip":"121.218.35.69\/32","total":"4"},{"ip":"23.2.82.24\/32","total":"4"},{"ip":"76.125.83.21\/32","total":"3"},{"ip":"178.32.204.129\/32","total":"3"},{"ip":"185.153.151.41\/32","total":"3"},{"ip":"185.85.18.103\/32","total":"3"},{"ip":"88.99.253.251\/32","total":"3"},

>JSON DATA BARF AS PROOF OF LEETNESS

now we know you are lying...

here ya go faggot, have fun.

cnc.vdskge7as.xyz/bins/

thanks for the reply user, started fiddling around with android recently and I'm enjoying the learning process. I am planning to work towards a cs degree after being undecided. Your post gives me motivation to not sit around and be a neet during the summer

>cnc.vdskge7as.xyz/bins/
wow now im convinced..
that you are a copy pasting newb wannabee
lmfao

anything else?

$nc cnc.vdskge7as.xyz 23

this isn't hogwarts.

Do it up, gtfo of software tho, shit is becoming a commodity the pajeets are legit gonna take ur job.

Security field is overflowing with money and a lot of the fucks in it are full of shit and pushing FUD. Bonus points if you can slap experience with ML/AI on your resume... so hot right now.

opensecuritytraining.info & cybrary.it are both great resources to get started.

good luck user.

ur a botnet, harry.

>what do you do?

Deputy Sheriff / Correctional Officer

>do you like it?

It's ok. Law enforcement has always been my passion, but I want to eventually become a police officer and work on the street.

>is it stressful?

At times it can be. Depending on what shift/days you work and what division/assignment you have it can be busy and other times it can be really slow. You do also have to be constantly aware of your surroundings so that adds to it.

>Is it difficult?

Once again it depends on a variety of factors. When/where you work on the compound, etc. Overall though it gets easier with time. The hardest times are when you're brand new and learning the ropes. A lot of the job is talking to people and speaking the language of dindus in a way that you can relate to them and come to a mutual understanding. Other times force is necessary instead. Most of the time the job ends up being as hard as you make it.

>how much do you make?

Currently 55k a year with just shy of 2 years next month. It being union we have salary terms in our contract. Step increases every year for the first 5 years then every 5 years after that. Decent pay, a big plus being there's almost unlimited OT. The jail has a large turnover so we're always hiring. Also a lot of officers get disgruntled after a certain amount of time and call off a lot, leaving no shortage of work.

>how did you decide on this career path?

Not sure really. I was never big on technology or sitting in a office setting all day so finance, accounting, IT, etc. wasnt appealing. Engineering looked ok but after high school I hated sitting in a classroom or doing equations. The trades could have been an option but I just didn't go that route. LE turned me on because it's a bit of everything. Human interaction, getting to see the highs and lows of society, if you're in a big city like I am it's never a dull moment. There's also the feeling of comraderie working with your fellow officers.

Lol, yeah pajeets are a worry for me. I'll definitely branch out though, but ML/AI/Robotics are definitely endgame for me. Thanks

>pajeets are a worry for me
they're not all rapists. just speak to hr if you really think he's going to rape you. it's cultural though, i don't know what you really expect. maybe you should just find a new job?

>What do you do?
Software engineer at a mid-sized company
>Do you like it?
Yes
>Is it stressful?
About one week a month is stressful on average, the rest is cake
>Is it difficult?
I'm a junior dev so none of my assigned work is too bad, but the more I improve and work the harder the stories I'll be assigned, I'm sure
>How much do you make?
70k with some good benefits (I don't work for one of those meme startups where the pay is shit and health insurance nonexistent but DUDE PING PONG TABLES LMAO)
I enjoyed programming dumb Lua shit as a kid and ended up pursuing a CS degree (and math double major which is useless) as a result. Once I noticed /g/ and Veeky Forums claiming CS is an oversaturated meme degree where I'd be flipping burgers, I was 200% sure I had made the right choice because /g/ and Veeky Forums are wrong about most things

>What do you do?
OT - It is just IT for control systems, but gets its own name due to the retard involved.
Do you like it?
Most days I don't know. Rather be in management or business if most my week is holding meetings and telling people what to do.
Is it stressful?
Extremely. You get to fight with normal IT, while getting shit on by operations.
Is it difficult?
No, but you have to give a fuck, so yes? Additionally, you need patience. Hard not to yell at the guy who is responsible for not blowing you up, but can't figure out to right-click
How much do you make?
If the overtime keeps flowing like this 200K+
How did you decide on this career path?
I couldn't find programming work in my area. Found this job on Facebook. They hired me because I knew how to read a job ad and could tell you what SCADA stood for.

crypto's gonna bomb dude. Invest in vanguard funds.

Thinking about doing a masters in Math and Statistics to go into Quantitative Finance perhaps

Any advice or anything valuable that would help me in any way?

What are good jobs for people that are physically weak and have low endurance?

Ones that don't require college degrees or whatever else. Ones you can go to a short trade school for are fine.

Electrician

It's my birthday today, and honestly it's the best one yet Veeky Forums I landed my dream job last night, I fucking made it guys

>What do you do?
Nothing
>Do you like it?
At first, it's a bit tedious now finding something to fill all my free time
>Is it stressful?
No
>Is it difficult?
Nope
>How much do you make?
0, tho I have 6 figures in crypto
It chose me

How old are you? I left college because
I didn't want to be in debt, my
Junior year. I had good grades and all, just a poorfag.

It has been five years and I feel like the mix of neet/part time dead end jobs that have filled those years have basically defined my young adulthood as being fucking worthless. Even if I had
gone into debt for school I would at least have been able to fuck off and teach English a few years and then go get a masters degree or something.

The truth is I just don't want to be a wage slave. Crypto/drop shipping haven't come to fruition for me yet. Every time I try to start studying web dev I realize it bores me to tears. The only things I have ever been remotely good at are artfag related and I haven't been able to turn them into profit.

All of the jobs you have on your resume are shitty, short-term jobs, except for your last one. Why can't you hold down a job? That would be the first question I'd ask based off your resume

I work writing and reviewing business proposals. I also write all sorts of things. It's. A fun job, but I don't get paid enough. I kinda fell into this job, but I did have background as a writer.

The best thing about my job is being able to operate my own office with no one looking over my shoulder. I can take a nap on the couch and no one sitting going to call me out on it.

Holy shit, You are me, only I just quit college. I also feel like I rather die than be a wage cuck. And I have tried crypto and drop shipping but havn't really made the big bux. I want to try web dev now, but I think that I might be better and happier with art type stuff. Digital drawing or animation. But I don't really know how to get a fun job and financially rewarding job in it. I already have skills and a portfolio, but don't know where to go to from now. Self teach Web Dev, or try to get a job in "art", or get shitty jobs. Do you have any advice? What did you do wrong? Whatever?

The market is oversaturated with artists. Web dev at least you might get a job. Basically any job that's fun/fulfilling and anyone can get in to will be swamped with competition and your chances are slim. Supply and demand suggests you pick a boring, difficult job and you'll always have work.

Look into UX/UI design as a career. Do your art stuff on the side for fun.

>Tfw everyone at Veeky Forums has a better job and earns more money than you

Yep, it's my own fault.

I'm going to quit this shitty job tomorrow and eventually go to college to study something Economics related.

How did you go about networking? I'm in consulting right now and have some network in VC, but I still feel like I'm on the outside looking in when it comes to hopefully breaking in during the next 2-3 years.

going to college after working at a construction job for a few years
how fucked am i in computer engineering?
is there a future in it or is it going to dry up soon

For web dev the sooner you start the better. I've dragged ass on it because while I find ui/ux and app development interesting, I am really turned off by front-end drudgery and backend is a bit intimidating but I am pretty sure that is just my impostor syndrome/dunning-kreuger kicking me in the future balls

I'd say don't waste time on gf/bf unless they are very beneficial to your life because most young people today are gonna change/burn out/partner hop a few times, maybe I've just had a bad experience but I feel my growth has been significantly stunted by letting past relationships/loneliness cause me to make impulsive decisions or to waste a lot of time dwelling on my own fomo/apathy/nihilism etc.

Jordan Peterson is good with motivation/apathy/self help.

why the fuck would computer engineering "dry up" any time soon

because every which way you hear people screaming about 100k/year jobs and how easy it is to get into after you get your bachelor's, which leads me to be a little skeptical of how many people are entering the field and if it's going to get over saturated
plus, i didn't know if the whole "hiring a diverse staff" thing would fuck over a white guy like me

used to do web design then concept art. liked doing it for fun but as a job it sucked ass. constant pressure to perform and pull really great stuff. anxiety + hate for office life got the best of me and I'm a neet now. not sure what's next. I'd like a comfy job where I can just talk to people but I have no idea what that might be :^(

walmart greeter

do you know incredibly hard Engineering is? fuck

80 k starting ee with 8g sign on crypto is fun on the weekends.

what do you lads think of supply chain management?

gonna get automated by machine learning pretty soon