What would it take to re-Christianise the eastern Mediterranean coast?

What would it take to re-Christianise the eastern Mediterranean coast?

Not happening

Lots of time and money.

Or ethnic cleansing

I'm sure it'll be any day now, d-deus vult

Jesus Christ appears and starts blowing the world's collective mind with his miracles

A non cucked Pope.

Time and "reverse-Islam", by which I mean imposing upon Muslims the restrictions they imposed upon non-Muslims, ie, legal restrictions, public humiliation, additional taxation, and the enslavement of their firstborn sons.

a lack of Israel

This makes me miss Pope Palpatine, I don't know why he resigned.

Lol no. Catholics are one of the most in the closest bigot and racists.

probably because he looks like a sith lord

Stalin would have to come in and give Christians the coast and Muslims part of Europe or something with a forced population transfer.

Give part of Asia to the Jews or something.

WRONG

If you're referring to the Crusades as a Christian time, you're wrong - outside of the cities (which were often changing hands), most of the populace remained just how they were before the crusades happened. The last time the Levant was truly Christian was before the rise of Islam.

What you're asking is effectively
>what would it take to de-indo-europeanize Europe?

I believe it was mostly christian before the crusades

This.

Crusaders were letting Muslims go to Mosque in Jerusalem after being there for a little bit.

>Paulians at it again

There were significant Syrian Christian populations, yes, but from what I understand outside of certain areas where they had significant presences, they weren't a majority. I could be wrong though.

Hell, even when the Crusades were in full swing the general populace was fairly unaffected. Trade continued unabated (apart from cities that were besieged) between Outremer and the surrounding muslim polities even when wars broke out, because the trade was far too valuable to both sides. Even Baybars and the Mamelukes in Egypt were going out of their way to establish trade relations with groups like the Genoese.

The truth is that people didn't really care about the Crusades anywhere close to the amount pop-culture makes it seem like they did. The original casus belli cited by Urban - that the Muslims were hindering pilgrims - really wasn't true at all, and Outremer only lasted as long as it did because the Mulsim polities in the region were for the most part apathetic about the Crusades until the latter part of Saladin's reign and the reign of Baybars.

I'll have to find my source for Christians being the majority until after crusades again

The Sejulks attacked pilgrims it wasn't the ones that were in the area for hundreds of years prior to that

This is from Wikipedia but I've read it else where too

In 969, the Patriarch of Jerusalem, John VII, was put to death for treasonable correspondence with the Romans. The sixth Fatimid caliph, Caliph Al-Hakim (996–1021), who was believed to be "God made manifest" by the Druze, destroyed the Holy Sepulchre in 1009. This powerful provocation started the near 90-year preparation towards the First Crusade.[6]

After the Crusaders lost to the Muslims in the Holy Land, the Muslim population became the majority, as a result of that many Muslim shrines were built such as Maqam al-Nabi Yamin, Maqam al-Nabi Musa, Maqam al-Nabi Rubin and many more shrines that Muslims described as a burial sites of a Prophets, Sahabas and even what they considered holy Muslim martyrs from Crusader and pre-Crusader times. Some historians[who?] say that the shrines were built to make a good strategic positions for Muslims (for example Nabi Musa was built on the road from Jerusalem to Jericho.

God be with you, cardinal Sarah!

Who would want to live there anyway? In the next 50 years the desert will spread to the coast

Urban just made that help to make it appear more legitimate. The initial reason was Alexios asking for help.

It would take everyone to completely forget what the Crusades did to their ancestors, all the shit European/American proxy wars did to their politics, and for everyone to comepletely remove thousands of years of culture just to fulfill your LARP fantasy.

Incorporation into Christian dominated governments and economies, legal privileges for converts and descendants of converts to Christianity, dismantling of local organized religious institutions and authorities, and promoting intermarriage where Christianity is the established family religion automatically applied to future children.

That or ethnic cleansing and expulsion.

Never mind the very last point being ahistorical, the rest were rarely applied for more than a few years at a time, and over the course of centuries barely affected the Christian populations of the region.

>a Prophets,
> (for example Nabi Musa was built on the road from Jerusalem to Jericho.
Geez, people need to proofread more.

It's unclear who exactly was the majority overall, as most populations were pretty concentrated so you had local majorities in some areas and minorities in others. The population only really started to shift completely towards the Muslims with the rise of the Mamluks who crippled much of the region's urban populations in their wars with the Latins, Anatolian Armenians/Turks, and Mongols, while a wave of religious populism swept through Egypt and Syria that caused a lot of mob violence against local Christians seen as subversive fifth wheels in society by then.

While there were Muslim serfs and landowners in the Crusader States, Jerusalem specifically was by decree barred to Muslim residents and only open for visiting merchants and diplomats passing through.

The Seljuks and Al-Hakim being the source of Urban's anecdotes of cruelty against Eastern Christians and pilgrims was mostly speculation by 20th century historians who only used Latin sources. Most likely however Urban was referring to the various Turkish and Pecheneg beyliks in Greece and the Balkans who in the decade before the First Crusade was called had taken over important land and sea routes allowing them to pillage local monasteries and pilgrims. These were the main target of the First Crusade upon entering Byzantine service, and after Antioch the Latins made for Jerusalem almost directly, only caring to make deals with local Muslim princes for supplies and safe passage. Finally the Templars, the first organization ostensibly founded to protect pilgrims, didn't come about until several years later.

So the pilgrims being attacked were likely those in the vicinity of Smyrna and Nicaea, not Syria.