How did early humans learn to make bread? It's a bit complex process to learn by simply observing

How did early humans learn to make bread? It's a bit complex process to learn by simply observing.

Other urls found in this thread:

soilandhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/01aglibrary/010121cato/catofarmtext.htm
pass-the-garum.blogspot.com/2012/10/moretum.html?m=1
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer
passthegarum.co.uk/single-post/2015/03/20/Moretum-Cheese-Herb-and-Garlic-Spread
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How did early humans learn to make bronze?

>"What the fuck is this wheat shit"
>"Yeah It tastes fucking terrible, but its so easy to grow. That shit practically works for us"
>"Yeah I'm seriously worried about my job security; I'm gonna be out of hunting if this trend continues."
>"Hey, what if we tried to mash this wheat up and *then* ate it? So it's softer?"

>"Well that kinda worked... still awful though..."
>"What if we tried to cook it like we do meat?"
>"Well we can't cook the wheat itself, we tried and it sucked."
>"What if we mashed the wheat FIRST, put it in a fuckin' bowl and cooked that?"
>"You might be on to something..."

Trial and error.

Trial and error I guess. What did bread taste like in the Bronze age? Was it much different to today?

>what if we took our beer and made it into food

It was likely a type of wild fermentation in porridge or something that was reheated/baked. So it would probably taste like a very harsh, rough sourdough early on. Until they learned to keep the mother culture going to get better flavor.

In "On Agriculture" Cato has recipes for a couple different foods. One is a cheese bread that I've made before which is pretty good. The only weird thing is Romans used bay leaves in freaking EVERYTHING. The taste is pretty intense initially.

that bread looks like a dick

you have a good eye for dicks

Got a link user? The closest I could find was this:

>soilandhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/01aglibrary/010121cato/catofarmtext.htm
>84. Make savillum as follows.one half lb. flour, 2one half lb. cheese, mix together as for libum; one quarter lb. honey, 1 egg. Rub an earthenware baking dish with oil. When all ingredients are well mixed, place in the dish and cover the dish with a crock. Be sure to cook through in the middle, where it rises highest. When cooked, remove from the dish, spread with honey, sprinkle with poppy. Place briefly under the crock, then remove. Set out with dish and spoon.

Which does sound good tbqh, but that site doesn't seem to have the full text either.

Anthropologists guess that someone made a wheat porridge in a bowl and prolly left it under the sun for too long.

I don't know fuck all much about palaeodiet but it seems to me that
>growing of einkorn and emmer post neolithic revolution
>ability to dry wheat means good for storage, giving it an edge over pulse crops like peas
>More capacity to produce and consume higher order processed varieties
>products from these plants like porridge and flatbread are high in calorific content per kg
>also effective means of utilising crops when still semi-sedentary, as bread etc is easy to carry around
>increased focus on the domestic sphere at sites like Catalhoyuk mean more innovation for the product and perhaps obsession with making new varieties
>bread becomes popular
>8,000 years later or so we have effectively modern bread

>no streets

wot

It's ingenious.
>Guys, strangers.
>Quick, secure the town.
>Everyone grabs their ladders

The bad part probably is being woken up by foot traffic in the morning.

>you will never be a humble myceanean pepe trying to eat your bread tendies in peace while autistically ignoring all the lewdness going on around you 24/7

they were anarchists :^)

pass-the-garum.blogspot.com/2012/10/moretum.html?m=1
This is a pretty good, simple one. I just took the actual recipes from the treatise, tried a couple different approaches, and enjoyed.
His cheese-cakes (more like cheese bread) depending on the type of cheese could be soft bread that goes well with honey and wine or more of a cracker type bread that conveniently also goes well with wine.

By doing things.

>grind up wheat and mix with water so that the elderly or sick can eat it
>one day, forget it next to the campfire
>What's this? Oh, tastes much better this way!

Better to have an eye for dicks than a dick for an eye.

>As almost any cereal containing certain sugars can undergo spontaneous fermentation due to wild yeasts in the air, it is possible that beer-like beverages were independently developed throughout the world soon after a tribe or culture had domesticated cereal. Chemical tests of ancient pottery jars reveal that beer was produced as far back as about 7,000 years ago in what is today Iran[2]. This discovery reveals one of the earliest known uses of fermentation and is the earliest evidence of brewing to date. In Mesopotamia, the oldest evidence of beer is believed to be a 6,000-year-old Sumerian tablet depicting people drinking a beverage through reed straws from a communal bowl. A 3900-year-old Sumerian poem honouring Ninkasi, the patron goddess of brewing, contains the oldest surviving beer recipe, describing the production of beer from barley via bread. In China, residue on pottery dating from between 5400 and 4900 years ago shows beer was brewed using barley and other grains.[3]
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer

why did someone have to take a picture of bread so that it so blatantly looks like a dick and balls?

It grabs your attention, doesn't it? Then the marketing agency succeeded, you dick-loving slut.

did the professor have good eye for dicks?

>build a house
>neighbour starts building a house right next to yours
>ehrm excuse me I have a window right ther..
>second neighbour starts building a house on the opposite side
>hold the fuck up
>you're literally surrounded by walls, your door leads to a wall now
>starve

I dunno. You should ask him.

Hm. I'll have to try that. The bread looks simple enough, and I can dip it in olive oil or top it with this stuff for great historicity.
>passthegarum.co.uk/single-post/2015/03/20/Moretum-Cheese-Herb-and-Garlic-Spread

It was probably way rougher than it is today since millstone technology wasn't as advanced, and often it was hand crushed using a rock and another rock. Definitely wasn't as fluffy as it is today, it most likely had a hard outer shell and a stiff inside.

He also has a recipe for a type of super popular Greek wine that's mixed with sea water. I tried it with some water with sea salt mixed in to the right salinity. It wasn't too bad, but the recipe was definitely too sea-salt heavy for my taste. I quartered the amount and it was surprisingly tasty.

Probably a version of this.

>this wheat is fucking hard
>let's smash it
>now my mouth is dry
>mix smashed wheat with water
>now it's cold and sticky
>let's cook this mix of smashed wheat and water

Tried it with the quartered water amount and some cheap red wine. It was interesting, but not something I think I'd want to try again, at least not without a whole lot of water to follow it with.

Yeah, it's definitely not something I'd want on the regular, but it's interesting that it's something that was incredibly prized in its day.

>mycenean

Threre is a brand of bread in my country that says that bread has existed since 30,000 years ago on the label.

>to eat wheat you have to cook it somehow
>let’s use a big pot on an open fire
>fill it with the wheat and some water or maybe milk
>boil till you get a thick (some say: THICC) porridge
>take out some porridge to eat, spill it on a hot stone en ore near the fire
>it burns
>eat it anyway because hungry
>tastesprettygood.jpg

Could have been as simple as this

They'd be mostly flatbreads. Not dissimilar to modern Naan breads and tortillas.
Definitely rougher. I recall hearing about how the ancient Egyptians would have worn down teeth as they got older, as the flour they had was always full of sand which got baked into their bread.

Funnily enough those sites are well known for being rebuilt repeatedly over generations above the old house plan. Nobody knows definitively why they did that so you may have a point there lol

You're probably correct about sand in the bread, but that still happens today just due to sand floating around and entering the mouth.

In Afghanistan, most of the elders would have rounded teeth. I thought this was due to genetics or something, but I was told later that it's due to years of sand eroding the teeth.

I'm sure your statement about Egyptians having round teeth is true though, not just because of bread, but the environment itself.

Making bread isn't complex

this