How "white" were the Romans?

How "white" were the Romans?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_Roman_Empire
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who cares?

Mediterranean

Stormfags like OP, apparently.

Just sage and hide. We have 10's of these threads every day and it isn't any less trash now than it's ever been.

This

I'm salty that no one wants to talk about actual Roman history. No one wants to talk about their architecture, what effects the Marian reforms had on the army, the conquest of Gaul. No, they want to fucking talk about "GUYS GUYS WERE THE ROMANS WHITE GUYS" or "GUYS GUYS WERE THE EGYPTIANS WHITE GUYS"

Fuck off

What is your opinion of Aetius?

>How "white" were the Romans?

They were Italics

The last person capable of saving the WRE.

Good general who BTFO Attila
Too little too late though, Western Rome was doomed

White enough to breed your jealousy mah niggah

Germanic rape babbys. The Romans did not look like that

>muh rape babbys

Here we go again

>When the empire you fetishize doesn't line up with how you preserve them so you just say that the big strong empire got fucking destroyed and raped to death by some barbarians

>He thinks a few hundred rapes is going to suddenly replace a population of several million

You're wrong.

>Conversely, the foreign population of Rome was very small. Scientific evidence has shown that non-locals were in the minority, and most came from other parts of Italy or nearby provinces in Southern/Central Europe. Biochemical analysis of 166 skeletons from three non-elite imperial-era cemeteries in the vicinity of Rome revealed that only 1 individual definitely came from outside of Europe (North Africa), and another 2 possibly did, but results are inconclusive.[30][31] Other than that, there was no apparent net inter-regional migration in the imperial period, except perhaps a small continuous resettlement of Easterners in the West.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_Roman_Empire

It sucks for Roman fans, but imagine being a fan of Carthage or Egypt.

The ratio of "we wuz" shitposting for both of those is considerably higher than for Romans, which is already much higher than it has any right to be.

Whiteness did not exist as a concept back then and trying to apply modern racial identity to them is utter nonsense.

Le /pol/ boogeyman

That image is good for saying 1 in 6 Italians look like that in terms of skin tone and complexion.

Roman literary records describe a large number of well-known Roman historical personalities as blond.

Augustus, founder of the Roman Empire, is by Suetonius described as having hair that was " golden".

Nero, descended from an aristocratic family, is by the historian Suetonius described as: "... his hair light blond,... his eyes blue..."

Emperor Lucius Verus (r. 161 – 169 AD) was said to sprinkle gold-dust on his already "golden" blond hair to make it even blonder and brighter.

Commodus (r. 177-192), son of Marcus Aurelius (a co-emperor with Lucius Verus), likewise had naturally blond hair.

The following Roman gods are said to have had blond hair: Amor, Apollo, Aurora, Bacchus, Ceres, Diana, Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, Minerva and Venus.

Nobody mentioned /pol/

who else would make those threads?

>Suetonius
Not reliable.

He's as reliable as any ancient source

They still worshiped white gods

If there was a cut-off for whiteness then they are well within it. also they are the originators of most "white" culture.

Subflavum refers to light brown, not blond

No different than today's Italians. Mix of more swarthy types down south and fair types up north. Blondism peaks at 20% in north. No evidence that either type was seen as any better or worse; except the fact that blonde hair was prized just like with the greeks. A minority trait amongst greeks and romans but strongly associated with the northern barbarian tribes.

Not White enough for your standards, albino

>Evolution does not exist
>Race is a construct, man!

Please motherfucker, there are legitimate scientific reasons for the question. It might not be OP's point, but its there

>Race is a construct, man!
Where did user imply that?

>Stop being interested in what I don't like

lol someone actually took the time to cherry pick the 150 white people in italy

Define white Op.

"White" did not exist back then. There were three categories of people: Italians, Hellenes, and barbarians. Originally the Romans were predominantly Italian empire, but they later incorporated many Hellenes and barbarians.

My butt is white

Yeah, what does that rebuke? Post an image of the average Northern Italian citizenry and we'll see how many natural fair skinned light-eyed, light-haired Italians there really are.

We do have dozens of wewuz threads everyday. And OP already knows the answer
>white is an american meme
>romans were europeans from the mediterranean region
stop making the same threads everyday to get the same daily answers

What rebuke? I simply post a picture of Italians athletes who participated Olympic Rio, you dumb fuck.

Aryans tanned by the mediterranean sun.

>No one wants to talk about their architecture, what effects the Marian reforms had on the army, the conquest of Gaul.
The fuck, we talk of this shit like every fucking day. Why can't we discuss the early republic instead? Why can't we discuss the flavians?
Why must it always be muh professional armies and muh gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres?

>interested

more like invested am i right?

No one said that you dishonest /pol/ polisher.

As "white" as Italians today.

Fairer skin type in North and Central, darker skin type in South

This. This is the only damn answer. Italians from antiquity were virtually the same as Italians from today. Light skin in the North and darker skin in the south. Northern Italians in particular are essentially Germanic.

The whole "Mediterraneans r not whyte!!!" is a complete meme. I can only guess that it is mostly peddled by Americans who have never actually been anywhere in the Med region of Europe.

>Northern Italians in particular are essentially Germanic.
The fuck are you even implying here?

I don't mean culturally, I just mean they are essentially the same genetically. I'll see if I can find a haplogroup chart. People keep memeing that they are Arabs or some shit.

Northern Italians are genetically no more distinct from southern Italians than southern Germans are from northern Germans.

They spoke a Romance language.

Now post a picture of a city in Northern Italy and not just selective images of its athletes, you mongoloid.

>I just mean they are essentially the same genetically.
No? I mean yeah both are r1b majorities, but different subclades. If you wanna make no differences of all r1b people you have only one group for most of western Europe.

Not the same guy but sicilians are quite distinct aren't they? Apart from that though, Italians are just White guys, I don't see where the controversy comes from.

They are different to an extent but still White, that is all I will say. By the standards of this board I guess I am not White as I am half Southern Spanish and "hurr one drop rule!".

"White people is a racial classification specifier, used for people of Europid ancestry"

"The Caucasian race (also Caucasoid,[1] or Europid[2]) is a grouping of human beings historically regarded as a biological taxon, which, depending on which of the historical race classifications used, have usually included some or all of the ancient and modern populations of Europe, the Caucasus, Asia Minor, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, Western Asia, Central Asia and South Asia"

Not him, but how the fuck is a pic of athletes in any way selective you dumb fuck? Do you think Italy chooses its sportsmen by manifested whiteness?

They look swarthy.

Holy shit why are they so black?

Everyone who I post would look swarthy to you. I could post white swedes and you'd still call them swarthy because I posted them.

No, you're thinking of Sardinians, who are genetically distinct from the Italians. Sicilian people are basically the same as other Italians. None are particularly more "Germanic" than the others.

>Despite the lengthy Goth and Lombard presence in Italy, the I1 haplogroup associated with the Norsemen is present only among 6-7% of mainland Italians,[22] peaking at 11% in the northeast. In total a frequency of 5% I1 in Sicily has been detected.[25]

Because they're not northern italians lol

My dad looks just like him (is that a young Robert De Niro?)

This right here.

Most people think of Italians as someone that looks like Al Pacino, but they are a diverse bunch.

Not really representative of the actual italian population. Where I live, there are tons of people of italian descend and just a few look like pic related.

>Sicilian people are basically the same as other Italians.
Sicilians have like 35% greek dna. It's not snow- and sandniggers who have influenced Italy's gene pool.

>pic of athletes from all over a country isn't representative
>personal experience of racemixed migrants is
Top kek m8.
And let's not forget that no italian enclave can ever be representative due to italians' tendency to migrate by region, so that for example most brazilian italians are northerners, most italian americans are southerners, etc.

It's actually an interesting historical issue. But yeah, given that this is Veeky Forums, there's a 90% chance that anyone who makes a thread like this is a stormfag or a troll.

Not "Greek" per se

It's shared Anatolian DNA

It's the standard Internet history discussion dilemma. Either you go discuss stuff with academics and mainstream history buffs, in which case the SJW cloud hangs around and any topic that verges close to various taboos causes people to turn into politically correct robots... or you go discuss stuff with people like 4channers, in which case the stormfag cloud hangs around everything and every discussion ends up becoming abount Hitler, Aryans, conspiracy theories about Jews, etc.

Yes greek actually. It's very characteristically focused on what used to be Magna Grecia.
I'm not talking about neolithic famrer admixture.

"Was X white" threads are primary cancers of Veeky Forums.

Northern Italians have similar Northern European admixture as Southern Germans. Northern Italians also have more similar phenotypes to Southern Germans then they do to Southern Italians. It's a blurred picture. There isn't just a line in Europe that once you go below it- boom, not Germanic anymore.

But it doesn't matter anyway. Italians are and were White. Southern Italians are swarthy to be adapted to sunlight but apart from that they are hardly different.

>argues most of them are light haired
>post an image of the majority of them not even light haired with light to tanned olive complexions
>surprised by this reaction
???

In both the athletes' pic and the class pic the dominant hair colour is brown, and skin colour is fair.
You of course are likely not even bothering to look at the pics, so what's the point arguing anyway.

Between Crayola Tumbleweed #DEA681 and Apricot #FDD5B1

you tell me

BS. Joaquin Phoenix doesn't have blonde hair.

Handome guy I bet he fucked a ton of chicks I wish I was handsome too but God is a fucking nigger and created me ugly which is how I know Satan did nothing wrong.

Are you from the United Sharts of America, perhaps?

Brown and blonde are not the same thing. Just as fair skinned and being olive skinned are not the same thing.

>most of the images I google of Northern Italians have the majority of men and women being tanned, not fair skinned like Northern Europeans and possessing black and brown hair

Like it was said earlier, there is no more "Germanic" admixture in Northern Italians then Central or Southern Italians, comparatively they are slightly lighter skinned because they live in a cooler area and less exposure to as harsh sunlight as their southern kin.

How white are the Italians?

>haplogroups
You know they only tell the paternal line? Literal niggers can be r1b

Central-North tier ""white"" if we are talking the Roman elites, assuming they were in fact Latin-Etruscan in stock.

deNiro is like 1/4 italian

Sure, but when Ceasar is described as having blond hair, said hair is described as giving him a "singular appearance"

The definition of blonde is a lot broader down there. Fucking light brown is counted as blonde in some countries

Haploniggers treat Y-DNA like an ethnicity marker lol as if being r1b means u white cuz ur dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's d's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's d's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's d's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's d's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad wuz whyte

>whyte
Calling someone a nigger.

Holy shit, they really looks similar

Lad

>Stop talking about it because I say it's settled.

Race doesn't mean phenotype, idiot

>Like it was said earlier, there is no more "Germanic" admixture in Northern Italians then Central or Southern Italians

>Stop telling me the truth I refuse to hear, I want to be willfully ignorant.

Does it matter

Nope, you're wrong

Here we see a faggot Arab thinking the Romans looked like Arab shitskins and that every normal white Italian is "Germanic". Just fuck off back to your desert Abdul.