Stupid question, please enlighten me :)

I have a dumb question but I cant figure it out.
With the Ledger Nano S you have a 24 word passphrase that you can use to recover your private keys.

The dictionary of those words is 2048 words large.

I guess a lot of people are using Ledger.

Why wouldnt it be possible to just choose 24 of those 2048 words and import someone elses private keys?

I know theory says it should take 10000 years or so but I am missing something in my thought proces.

Can you enlighten me? I would really appreciate it.

possible vs probable

It's not just 24 words, it's 24 words in the exact order you would need, plus you can add a paraphrase on top of that

Passphrase*

Think of it as a 24 charachter password chosen in a 2048 charachters alphabet.

I understand but still with a lot of users you may get someones private key right?

Guys. This is clearly bait.... Are you seriously answering this faggot?

You must remember the average user age of this board has dropped dramatically in the last Six months

Well, sure it's possible.
It's a bit like saying you could just go into the activate a key section of steam and put in a bunch of random letters and numbers and you could get a free game.
But you see, there are thousands, if not millions, of wallets out there that have 0 btc in them, so even if you're lucky as fuck and manage to guess someones passphrase you still may get nothing.
It's like trying to type random numbers and characters into "activate a product on steam" and wanting to get skyrim. You're just as likely to end up with Bad Rats or Goat simulator.

Seriously it is not. I am trying to understand it but I am seriously missing something here.

I can't grasp it. If they have millions of users, you should be able to import something right?

I have a Ledger and just want to know for sure.

Not everyone here has the same skillset user. I am just kindly asking for help here because i would like to understand.

I know you have a fondness for memes, so let me tell you one that will explain everything for you. The " Do your own research, google blah blah dont get any advice from /biz" meme is because for the most part it is true, but if you should even need to ask these questions here without doing a small mount of "googling" first, you are exactly the person who falls for the bait on this board.

See
I would say 6 years.

I have searched for it a lot on Google, that is why I came here to ask for help. Because I am missing something and I dont know what. Just trying to understand it.

But clearly you can't of won't help me out here, so maybe another user might be kind enough to explain it to me in a way I could understand.

Missing a brain.

Try this
andIf you still don't understand, I am very sorry for your loss.

Here's my 24 word in a mixed up order see if you can get my coins user:

used being is ledger the as long as happen to going not its idiot an your

This is some combinatrics shit and the possible different number of combinatric far far far exceeds the amount of people on this earth

*combinations

If there is no passphrase requirement the amount of combinations is something on the order of 2048^24 , assuming that a passphrase must have exactly 24 characters if not then its even greater

Allright, so you guys are calling people dumb but it looks like I am not the only one that doesnt know how this works.

You're

If you shuffle a deck of cards, will you get the same order as another deck of cards?

From a probabilistic standpoint it is almost impossible that the same ordering has been achieved. This means that every time you shuffle a deck of cards it is (almost certainly) the first time cards have been arranged in that order. The ledger nano password is a similarly unlikely event.

Fucking school dropouts.

>This means that every time you shuffle a deck of cards it is (almost certainly) the first time cards have been arranged in that order.
uh no

there are a lot of decks of cards out there

there're 2048^24 possible permutations. it's mathematically improbable.

Not everyone is good at math. I am not calling you a virgin fat ugly faggot loser right? Just be nice.

More bait, but I will bite.

It is not the fact that you do not know how it works. I myself, do not know many things. But you are missing the point.

It is about the fact you posted such a simple question, which can undoubtedly be solved with a simple search term.

Either you do not have the capacity to even put in a highly vague search term, which after no more than 5 minutes, should return you at least some half arsed answer. An answer which is enough to satisfy your insignificant mind .

Or, you never even tried to search for an answer / don't actually care and are therefor bait. kys

>2/10 because I replied
>3/10 because "'I'm probably going to reply again after your next insufferable comment.

sup brainlet normalfag

>rates a troll 2/10 right after he wrote out some long reddit-spaced fedora-tipping reply
lol kys or reexamine your life my man

>which can undoubtedly be solved with a simple search term

Imagine you are not good at math and try now to google the answer. I really took my time to find an answer, being called ..... on Veeky Forums because I am asking for help is not something I do without googling first.

Took my bait. kys

>i was only pretending to be retarded and respond to a troll
kys

I am not good at rocket science, doesn't mean I cannot search some terms I think are related, and therefore learning key words I come across to delve deeper and deeper into understanding what I initially set out to learn about.

Think inception, but with google, that is how you will find your answer.

>3/10

8/8

t-thanks y-you t-too

>here are a lot of decks of cards out there

If every person on earth shuffled 10,000,000 decks of cards every second for 10,000,000 years you would still not have much of a chance of ever getting the same deck twice. That is the point. It is still technically possible, but it is so unbelievably unlikely that the chance it has ever happened is nil.

>skillset
4th grade math?

>Not everyone has the same counting blocks as me

I am off to bed. Sorry for your loss, brainlet.

>fedora frog